sharetrader
Page 371 of 397 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 3962

Quite possible I picked up the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow this one closely but from my observations at issue for quite some time now has been their inability to sell down used campervans at acceptable prices. Quite why they would think they are now going to do this by just offering moderate discounts at the beginning of a global recession I am not sure ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Quite possible I picked up the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow this one closely but from my observations at issue for quite some time now has been their inability to sell down used campervans at acceptable prices. Quite why they would think they are now going to do this by just offering moderate discounts at the beginning of a global recession I am not sure ?
    Yeah do agree with you on that!

Also in the article Grant says their price's are aimed at the international visitor market in 'normal'times for the want of a better phrase..not at locals... So are priced as such..
    Does this mean that locals should always ring up and as for the local rates once the international tourism market returns to some degree of normal? As their prices aren't aimed at us?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Yeah do agree with you on that!

Also in the article Grant says their price's are aimed at the international visitor market in 'normal'times for the want of a better phrase..not at locals... So are priced as such..
    Does this mean that locals should always ring up and as for the local rates once the international tourism market returns to some degree of normal? As their prices aren't aimed at us?
    I don't think many prices are aimed at the local and that's half the problem. Standard price for a quick spin on the shotover jet is $159 for example. Kiwi tourism operators need to understand that Kiwi's spend $Kiwi (and don't have the luxury of converting their hard earned from $US, Euro or U.K. Pounds first).
    If they can adjust their pricing accordingly they'll find Kiwi's are prepared to support them, if not...
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Last week, pre budget I predicted mid 1.70s for this week. I don't think it will reach quite those heights, but I do believe the 1.44 is undervalued at present.

I was expecting a bigger tourism announcement. However, as mentioned before there will be more announcements with the tourism portfolio over the coming weeks. With Europe already having their first "travel bubble", talk should start to intensify. I think the market reacted to lack of real detail in the $400M tourism assistance. Mr Kelvin Davis seems to be in quite some trouble. This also proves to be a problem for Labour given he is their deputy leader.

Thanks for sharing that article beagle. I too think he is being very optimistic, but I guess would rather hear positivism from the CEO than doom and gloom. Perhaps some realism would be good too though..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I don't think many prices are aimed at the local and that's half the problem. Standard price for a quick spin on the shotover jet is $159 for example. Kiwi tourism operators need to understand that Kiwi's spend $Kiwi (and don't have the luxury of converting their hard earned from $US, Euro or U.K. Pounds first).
    If they can adjust their pricing accordingly they'll find Kiwi's are prepared to support them, if not...
    There was a tourism operator chief on TV the other day, stating that NZer's spend $X billion on tourism overseas (think $6.5b) and New Zealand is no more expensive that overseas countries. I'd beg to differ on that.....anyone who has been to any of the tourist hotspots would likely see this - activities are expensive.

As an aside, was in Queenstown yesterday. Was really surprised how many people were around - it was a cracker day but quite busy considering. Although most of them looked to be milling around, enjoying the sun, maybe having a coffee - not many in the shops and a lot of restaurants etc closed.

Surge in sales of RVs in the USA.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-profitability

Advanced Member

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...=6157367616001

Other than looking like a film star, this guy was worth listening to.
    Maybe there is some hope for our tourism industry ? PROVIDED Australia can get to a similar COVID status to NZ.

Lots more talk over the last 24 hours about the trans Tasman bubble. Australia even wanting Fiji to be included.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Australia kids go to school soon, a return to normal for most. More pressure will be applied to both governments to formalise I plan for travel.

Quote Originally Posted by keenkiwiflyer View Post
    Lots more talk over the last 24 hours about the trans Tasman bubble. Australia even wanting Fiji to be included.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Australia kids go to school soon, a return to normal for most. More pressure will be applied to both governments to formalise I plan for travel.
    Sure - but whatever it is - don't forget that the Americas (US, Mexico, South America) as well as East Europe / Near East / and Middle and north Asia (Russia, India) currently developing into the new Corona hot spots with more infected people than ever - and no interest or ability of the relevant governments to do something about it.

This means even if we are optimistic and assume that at some stage s well e.g. Taiwan and some other sensibly governed countries might be part of our travel bubble, and even if we are able to add China, we are still talking only something like 30 to 40% % of what we had before in numbers. Might help some of our tourism operators to survive, but it will take a long time until they are back to previous profits (which in THL's case have been unsustainable anyway - from memory they used to pay their dividends even in the best of times out of their capital).
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

I think a fair percentage of Kiwi's are going to perceive that a rental motorhome is possibly a safer option than using a rental car and a wide variety of motels as one travels around the country. How many will be prepared to pay anything like the (up to $500 a day peak rate), next summer is anyone's guess but I think heavy discounting will be the norm for the foreseeable future. If they can get the cost of a decent 4-6 berth campervan down to $250 - $300 per day I think that's something Kiwi's and Australian's will embrace. Whether that sort of pricing and reduced demand is sufficient for THL to have a viable business model, frankly I wouldn't have a clue but I think we are several years away from international tourism demand returning to anything like 2019 level's, if in fact that ever happens.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.