sharetrader
Page 352 of 397 FirstFirst ... 252302342348349350351352353354355356362 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 3966

Wrote some years ago similar posts defending MPG ... and look where they (and their nice dividends) are now.

[/QUOTE]

Some years ago? I wrote posts defending MPG just a couple of weeks ago. Go there to have a look

Quote Originally Posted by Lease View Post
    Some years ago? I wrote posts defending MPG just a couple of weeks ago. Go there to have a look
    Maybe I am the faster learner ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Classical dividend trap?

If we take the previous health scares as a template, than it might take a couple of years or more until people travel again as much as they do now. Add to that a huge backlog of unsold camper vans in a quite saturated market (all people I know who might want to buy such a thing have already one to clog up their driveway) and add on top of that a risky huge SW project they don't really have any expertise with, and earnings can go from here all over the place, but more likely down.

At some stage dividends will follow earnings. They always do.
    Funny you mention that. Mrs and I had a pretty long discussion about maybe buying a campervan and then realised that for the 15-20 or so days per annum we might use it, it would be cheaper to rent one and not have the thing clogging up our driveway for the other 350 days, not to forget all that capital tied up in a rapidly depreciating asset that require a lot of maintenance. Probably be some cheap rentals this Autumn for anyone prepared to take the risk.
    I think you'd have to be retired and use it more than 60 days per annum to make it really worthwhile to own one, then again, at least if you own one you know its not contaminated with some virus from the last users
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-01-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Funny you mention that. Mrs and I had a pretty long discussion about maybe buying a campervan and then realised that for the 15-20 or so days per annum we might use it, it would be cheaper to rent one and not have the thing clogging up our driveway for the other 350 days, not to forget all that capital tied up in a rapidly depreciating asset that require a lot of maintenance. Probably be some cheap rentals this Autumn for anyone prepared to take the risk.
    I think you'd have to be retired and use it more than 60 days per annum to make it really worthwhile to own one, then again, at least if you own one you know its not contaminated with some virus from the last users
    Just going with open eyes through the neighborhood ; At least five in less than one km distance from our home and I can't really remember when the last (or any) of them has been moved after appearing miraculously at some stage.

While I obviously don't fully understand the benefits of owning one of these monsters ... I clearly know about better things to do with our driveway - even just enjoying the extra space I gain by not buying one! ;

And yes, I agree - if I really would like this way to holiday, than renting them would be clearly a much more preferable and economical way to go. Problem for THL seems to be that they are running out of clients who are not able to do the numbers ...
    ----

Yeap, one of the neighbours a few doors up has this exact same model https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...5949f07c6f-003 and its sits there in his driveway all year. I did notice it missing for a few days in late January though.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Yeap, one of the neighbours a few doors up has this exact same model https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...5949f07c6f-003 and its sits there in his driveway all year. I did notice it missing for a few days in late January though.
    Jeez - 156k! That's assuming my target portfolio performance of 8% (often better, but hey) an annual cost of more than $12,000 just for lost income ...

I recon I could rent for the 12k lost interest per year alone already much more camper van than I ever would want to use ... and I assume these monsters need on top of the lost interest as well an annual service, repairs, come with an insurance and re-licence bill and provide on top of that a juicy capital loss (depreciation) every year. Talk about burning money ...
    ----

Just going with open eyes through the neighborhood ; At least five in less than one km distance from our home and I can't really remember when the last (or any) of them has been moved after appearing miraculously at some stage.

While I obviously don't fully understand the benefits of owning one of these monsters ... I clearly know about better things to do with our driveway - even just enjoying the extra space I gain by not buying one! ;

And yes, I agree - if I really would like this way to holiday, than renting them would be clearly a much more preferable and economical way to go. Problem for THL seems to be that they are running out of clients who are not able to do the numbers ...
    Your personal preference may not paint the true picture. THL Motorhome Fleet sales have been up year by year since 2012 in New Zealand. If people's thought like you, how can THL achieve increased sales?

This is a cyclical business and surely now it's passed peak. THL need to wait the industry bottom out and bounce again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lease View Post
    Your personal preference may not paint the true picture. THL Motorhome Fleet sales have been up year by year since 2012 in New Zealand. If people's thought like you, how can THL achieve increased sales?

This is a cyclical business and surely now it's passed peak. THL need to wait the industry bottom out and bounce again.
    I never claimed that everybody thinks like I do ... hey, this would be terrible, wouldn't it?

I indicated however that the market of people who want to buy such a thing might be saturated in tiny NZ ... and given that these things will occupy the space in your driveway for a long time, people rarely feel the urge to add a second or third motor home to their fleet ...

Sure - there was an initial surge to fill all the driveways who have been in need, but now it it might take a long time for THL to find new clients interested in buying another motor home.

Anyway - good luck to all S/H;
    ----

Jeez - 156k! That's assuming my target portfolio performance of 8% (often better, but hey) an annual cost of more than $12,000 just for lost income ...

I recon I could rent for the 12k lost interest per year alone already much more camper van than I ever would want to use ... and I assume these monsters need on top of the lost interest as well an annual service, repairs, come with an insurance and re-licence bill and provide on top of that a juicy capital loss (depreciation) every year. Talk about burning money ...
    Exactly BP...the true cost including lost income and depreciation would very likely exceed $25K per annum. Assuming $400 per day to rent a very good one in peak season that's more than 60 days per annum ! Like I said, the numbers don't work unless you are retired and a real campervan enthusiast.

Dilettante

Exactly BP...the true cost including lost income and depreciation would very likely exceed $25K per annum. Assuming $400 per day to rent a very good one in peak season that's more than 60 days per annum ! Like I said, the numbers don't work unless you are retired and a real campervan enthusiast.
    I stupidly bought a caravan for rental stationed in a very busy UK holiday park a couple of years ago and have experienced exactly what you are talking about depreciation, lacklustre income and opportunity cost. I will finish the 5 year contract, then cut my losses and never go near anything like this again.