sharetrader
Page 350 of 397 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 3966

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119...-are-cancelled

"England-Hall said areas traditionally popular with Chinese New Year visitors - such as Queenstown, Rotorua and Milford Sound - would be hardest hit by the decision to halt tours.

One New Zealand hotel chain has already lost bookings from about 800 Chinese guests after 20 tour groups cancelled over the weekend.

General manager of the Scenic Hotel Group, Brendan Taylor, said the outbreak of the virus would have a dramatic impact

"The timing of it would not have been worse."

"Being Chinese New Year the impact is pretty large on everybody."

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119...-are-cancelled

"England-Hall said areas traditionally popular with Chinese New Year visitors - such as Queenstown, Rotorua and Milford Sound - would be hardest hit by the decision to halt tours.

One New Zealand hotel chain has already lost bookings from about 800 Chinese guests after 20 tour groups cancelled over the weekend.

General manager of the Scenic Hotel Group, Brendan Taylor, said the outbreak of the virus would have a dramatic impact

"The timing of it would not have been worse."

"Being Chinese New Year the impact is pretty large on everybody."
    There might be an opportunity for normal Kiwis to visit these places now. I avoided places like Queenstown so far like the plague due to the overrun by overseas tourists, and others might have done the same.

And while I am unlikely to rent a camper van (hate these thing as well), there might be some additional business for the local hotels and restaurants ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    True the 12 month chart is certainly ugly, one long downtrend, and dipping down even further now as some run for the exit door.... while the Bear is dithering
    Dithering as to whether this is a great chance to buy additional shares cheaply or dithering as to whether there's further bad news which would push the share price even lower so it's better to sell Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    Dithering as to whether this is a great chance to buy additional shares cheaply or dithering as to whether there's further bad news which would push the share price even lower so it's better to sell Now?
    Well, assuming people start panicking there might be at some stage a chance to buy some good shares at a discount. So far however I don't see the panic, but if it occurs I would not put THL into this category.

No virus will rid them off their unsold overhang of camper vans and no virus will change their risk related to investing hugely into software without understanding it.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, assuming people start panicking there might be at some stage a chance to buy some good shares at a discount. So far however I don't see the panic, but if it occurs I would not put THL into this category.

No virus will rid them off their unsold overhang of camper vans and no virus will change their risk related to investing hugely into software without understanding it.
    Quite right BP. THL have been on a pretty steady decline since winter 2018 when they were ~ $6.80.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Quite right BP. THL have been on a pretty steady decline since winter 2018 when they were ~ $6.80.
    Agree. I sold out a while ago (not at $6.80 unfortunately), and 'guessed' at the time that a decent risk-weighted buy-in price would be around $2.80. Am tempted to run the numbers again to see if that still holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I doubt Chairman Rob proud of seeing $400m wiped off thl’s market cap in 18 months

Rob also probably not proud of getting heaps of new capital from HB at $4 odd and seducing other punters to front up with another $50m at $3.40

What a lot of shareholder wealth has been destroyed in that time
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterCat View Post
    Agree. I sold out a while ago (not at $6.80 unfortunately), and 'guessed' at the time that a decent risk-weighted buy-in price would be around $2.80. Am tempted to run the numbers again to see if that still holds.
    Likewise I can't remember when I got out but it was quite a while ago. For what its worth I am not tempted at the current price or anywhere close to this. I'd rather let the trend run its full course and buy back in when it breaks back up through the 100 day MA and thereby de-risk this cyclical stock properly. I think many people got carried away thinking this tourism company was a growth company and not a cyclical one. My sense is the next few months could be very confronting for shareholders as for the first time in more than a decade they might find out what a real tourism slump feels like and it won't just be limited to THL's N.Z. operations and good luck selling expensive, (purely discretionary purchase), second hand campervans in this environment !

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I doubt Chairman Rob proud of seeing $400m wiped off thl’s market cap in 18 months

Rob also probably not proud of getting heaps of new capital from HB at $4 odd and seducing other punters to front up with another $50m at $3.40

What a lot of shareholder wealth has been destroyed in that time
    He should be very disappointed with himself...got carried away with this tech stuff and its beyond his core competence in my opinion.
    I think shareholders have every right to feel very disappointed with this reckless fishing expedition too.
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-01-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I got out in February 2019, at a loss unfortunately. Must admit I saw it as a growth company, but in my defence I think from memory that when I bought in (January 2018) the SP had been steadily rising for the previous four years.

THL down to 2.80 today I see. Makes me even happier that I sold the last of my holdings in late May 2019 at a good but smaller profit than the rest sold before that! The money reinvested in MMH is going well!