sharetrader
Page 170 of 397 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 3966

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    I drive on a winding road on most weekends and have a simple method of avoiding head on crashes with people driving on the wrong side of the road. I cannot tell you what I do on this forum, but will let you know what to do at next st meeting. ps so far it has worked for me 100%.
    Sounds interesting, look forward to hearing about that and I will share my secret recipe for dealing with people who tailgate you, (totally politically incorrect so can't share on here). I haven't started a thread on it yet but our next Auckland meeting is going to be on the 4th March at lunchtime so mark that off in your diary now mate. Venue to be confirmed.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Sounds interesting, look forward to hearing about that and I will share my secret recipe for dealing with people who tailgate you, (totally politically incorrect so can't share on here). I haven't started a thread on it yet but our next Auckland meeting is going to be on the 4th March at lunchtime so mark that off in your diary now mate. Venue to be confirmed.
    I'll be there. How about "The Zoo Keepers Son" Royal Oak for venue?
    Last edited by see weed; 27-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I share your fear Percy. I have also experienced a camper van driven by a young Asian man heading towards me on the wrong side of the road in central otago. It was terrifying and not an uncommon occurence from what I am told. I am not sure if identifying the nationality of the driver makes us racist or not, I can only say that in my case the driver was Asian.
    The racism concept is a funny one. In my view, racism is a combination of:

- Illogical, deep seated fear of someone who looks different to you. This is something every person on this world has built into their genetic make-up for tribal reasons. This is a bad thing for modern society.
    - A rational ability of people to recognise patterns of behaviour, which may be due to culture, upbringing or nature. This is a good thing.

White guilt makes people associate both of the above as bad and we call it racism.

To draw an an analogy: Imagine if every time you saw a guy wearing a green hat, he slapped you around the face with a trout. After a while, you would learn to accept that people wearing green hats are likely to slap you around the face with a trout. You would then try to avoid that situation. That's just good sense. On the other hand, imagine if you saw a man wearing a green hat who had never slapped you around the face with a trout, but you don't like that man because you don't like green hats because it looks different to what you normally wear. That's bad.

Therefore, I think it's dangerous for society to say that we shouldn't judge people by race, if you (or someone you trust) has experience that has identified a pattern. On the other hand, it's important to rationally check your own thinking to work out if there actually is a pattern or if you just feel that there's a pattern because everyone says that there is - you need to make sure it's not tribal thinking that tricks you into feeling that way.

I know that opinion will anger a lot of people, but that's you're white guilt propaganda activating and you're a media lead drone - I won't apologise for that

So, in summary, I think it's not racist at all. Hopefully I don't get a ban for the above view

Also, I've been that person on the wrong side of the road once in France. My defence is that I was tired. I felt REALLY stupid for that and am a bit ashamed

Also, we definitely shouldn't ban tourists from driving - we should look into the figures to see what percentage of foreign drivers have accidents, then compare that to the national average for people driving in those area's at those times of year, then make a decision about what to do. The effect on the tourism industry may also be a consideration (might not be a bad thing - just more tours available).

When Air NZ show an ad with a Jaguar driving on the wrong side of the road possibly foreigners think that's the norm.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    I'll be there. How about "The Zoo Keepers Son" Royal Oak for venue?
    Hi mate,

I think with people coming from different directions something in central Auckland makes more common sense. I'll chew the fat on the venue and advise in due course.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    You might not realise that Asia is not a country but a continent. No "nationality" Asian - and no race either. There are caucasians living in Asia, there are other Indo-Europeans (like Indians), there are Polynesian people who come from Asia (including our Maori) and there are the Chinese "Han" people (and that's what you probably refer to).

If you are saying that you observed one dangerous driver of Chinese descent, than this may be just an observation. If you draw from that the conclusion that all Chinese drivers are behaving dangerously, than yes, this would be racist - and wrong. I do know a number of drivers of Chinese descent who drive much safer than some (Pakeha or Maori) Kiwi drivers I happened to meet on NZ roads.

From a personal perspective (which is statistically as irrelevant as yours) - I am driving a lot in NZ and can not remember one dangerous situation involving an Asian driver. I do remember however finding myself in dangerous situations involving a number of reckless Kiwi drivers. Does this mean all Kiwi drivers are bad? Of course not.

I used to drive during my life in many countries in Europe as well as in Australasia ... and can say that I met everywhere good drivers as well as bad ones. Trust me - this has nothing to do with race or nationality. The young man who frightened you in Central Otago may have been from some Asian country, but he could have been as well a Northland or Southland hoon - I understand they work hard to kill themselves and others on our roads.
    Thanks for clarifying my misuse of the word "nationality" BlackPeter and that my assumption that the driver that almost killed me was "Asian" was also incorrect. I stand corrected. And yes it was simply my personal observation which may indeed be statistically irrelevant.
    Last edited by RupertBear; 28-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Where I'm from (England) you get called a racist if you call an Indian an Indian and a Pakistani a Pakistani - you have to call them Asian. I never understood why that was racist, but always put it down to perpetuation of white guilt and the abstraction of association of negative behaviour of specific races (which has contributed to / caused Brexit). I assume that calling Chinese people Asian is a carry over from that? Stupid really, because when someone says "Asian" in NZ, everyone knows what they mean. Same as in the UK.

#GrindsMyGears

</Rant> over

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Where I'm from (England) you get called a racist if you call an Indian an Indian and a Pakistani a Pakistani - you have to call them Asian. I never understood why that was racist, but always put it down to perpetuation of white guilt and the abstraction of association of negative behaviour of specific races (which has contributed to / caused Brexit). I assume that calling Chinese people Asian is a carry over from that? Stupid really, because when someone says "Asian" in NZ, everyone knows what they mean. Same as in the UK.

#GrindsMyGears

</Rant> over
    Interesting the PC crowd jumped on the potential racist element rather than the real issue here...the number of accidents incurred with rental cars and geographically concentrated of accidents..that would be a great starting point for a focused effective public policy.