sharetrader
Page 234 of 397 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 3962

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
    Not just charging stations, in addition the widespread adoption of EV's in a country like NZ would quickly outstrip the electrical grid's ability to provide. A rapid increase in electrical generation required at short notice would currently unlikely to be able to be filled with non-renewable sources. An ironic scenario.
    Yes the irony isn't lost on me although there's a fair bit of solar and wind generation capacity that could be brought to bear reasonably quickly if gentailers thought the demand growth merited the capex. How the grid itself would handle the extra demand, that's another good question. A transformer blew up in our quiet suburban street the other day. Blew up like a bomb blast, thought we were living in Bagdad there for a minute lol. Wonder if some of my wealthy neighbors have already bought EV's and already stressing the system ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I know networks are carefully watching demand trends in wealthy neighborhoods (where early adopters are concentrated) as a litmus test for the network. I've also heard that some distribution networks run smaller transformers to failure, which on the (presumably very) odd occasion involves an explosion! Apologies for the digression.

I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?

Can't they think about Hybrid first?

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by sammiesmiles View Post
    I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?

Can't they think about Hybrid first?
    120 kms each way from Te Anau to Milford, and there would not be the electrical capacity for more than a single charging station at Milford. The hydro generator there is only 500 kW and it is already almost fully utilised. It would be possible to build diesel generators for a charging station, but imagine the cost of a charge.

Fox Glacier to Haast is 121 km, Cromwell to Omarama is 111 km, although there would be the possibility of a charging station at Tarras.

Overall, an EV needs at least 120 km at highway speed and in mountainous terrain to be suitable
    Last edited by Jantar; 17-01-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammiesmiles View Post
    I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?Can't they think about Hybrid first?
    Either you want to associate your brand with environmentally conscious decisions ( even if it is a miniscule move )

Or you can jump on the bandwagon late once all the lustre of EV has eroded.

The sooner we all jump on the EV train the sooner it becomes viable.
    Last edited by hardt; 18-01-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Nice. Watching this whole electric thing closely. Fascinated as to how the infrastructure is going to be rolled out ?
    Consider this. How often at your local petrol station do you drive in and have to wait for a bowser to be available, fairly often right ?
    Consider that it takes perhaps 3-5 minutes to fill up and pay and consider how many petrol stations there are everywhere.
    How many EV charging points are we going to need long term even if we have 50 KW/hr charge points the average user is going to have to spend well over an hour charging their 90 kw/hr vehicle.
    How is that going to work when it presently only takes 3-5 minutes ?
    Very good observation. Note however that a charging station costs a fraction of a petrol station in operation costs (no pump to maintain, no tank to refill, can be entirely automated). What this means is that the current model of the little petrol station as a local business is going to disappear. Eventually you'll be able to charge your car in any street or parking lot. No need to wait at all!

assuming you can hire a ‘normal’ EV car from hertz or avis, from say 2025 onwards and get around the country for next to nothing, the only way to keep competitive advantage is for motor homes (THL) to do the same, or it wouldn’t stack up as a holiday to run a petrol or diesel motorhome when you could stay at airbnbs/motels using your EV car instead?

a very necessary and proactive move by THL

hopefully reliability is not compromised though - needs to be absolutely fail safe for a ‘trouble-free’ holiday!

charge it up at the odd campsite, maybe slap a few solar panels on the large roof to keep you moving ….and you’re good to go?

filthy

Quote Originally Posted by emveha View Post
    Very good observation. Note however that a charging station costs a fraction of a petrol station in operation costs (no pump to maintain, no tank to refill, can be entirely automated). What this means is that the current model of the little petrol station as a local business is going to disappear. Eventually you'll be able to charge your car in any street or parking lot. No need to wait at all!
    As the EV market grows we may see a completely new business of EV charging points with no connection to petrol stations. The big issue will be space if you have a lot of vehicles charging at the same time.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    120 kms each way from Te Anau to Milford, and there would not be the electrical capacity for more than a single charging station at Milford. The hydro generator there is only 500 kW and it is already almost fully utilised. It would be possible to build diesel generators for a charging station, but imagine the cost of a charge......
    The comment I made about Milford got me thinking about other rural areas around New Zealand. In many cases the lines infrastructure to rural towns is not sufficient to allow for more than only 1 or 2 charging points. Consider the feeder line running down the West Coast of the South Island from Hokitika to Haast. It is 33kV 3 phase, and from memory has a 40A rating. This allows it to supply 1.5 MW and at times is already close to being full.

But let's imagine that it is only at half capacity and that there are 750 kW of power available for charging stations. At 50 kW per charging station that would allow 15 vehicles to charged at any single time all the way from Haast to Hokitika, a distance of close to 300 km, and most vehicles will need to charge up at least twice along the way, taking around 30 - 40 minutes each time.

Compare that to petrol and diesel The stations at Haast, Fox, Franz, Whataroa, Harihari, and Ross can between them fill up 30 vehicles at a time taking 3 - 4 minutes each, and on avearge vehicles will fill up once along the way.

This means that even at maximum capacity the West coast highway could only handle around 5% of the number of EV vehicles compared to the current number of vehicles using that road.

EVs may be the way of the future, but the infrastructure to handle them will require a bit more planning than simply installing charging stations along the routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    The comment I made about Milford got me thinking about other rural areas around New Zealand. In many cases the lines infrastructure to rural towns is not sufficient to allow for more than only 1 or 2 charging points. Consider the feeder line running down the West Coast of the South Island from Hokitika to Haast. It is 33kV 3 phase, and from memory has a 40A rating. This allows it to supply 1.5 MW and at times is already close to being full.

But let's imagine that it is only at half capacity and that there are 750 kW of power available for charging stations. At 50 kW per charging station that would allow 15 vehicles to charged at any single time all the way from Haast to Hokitika, a distance of close to 300 km, and most vehicles will need to charge up at least twice along the way, taking around 30 - 40 minutes each time.

Compare that to petrol and diesel The stations at Haast, Fox, Franz, Whataroa, Harihari, and Ross can between them fill up 30 vehicles at a time taking 3 - 4 minutes each, and on avearge vehicles will fill up once along the way.

This means that even at maximum capacity the West coast highway could only handle around 5% of the number of EV vehicles compared to the current number of vehicles using that road.

EVs may be the way of the future, but the infrastructure to handle them will require a bit more planning than simply installing charging stations along the routes.

According to the papers recently the people of Haast etc would just love to get cell phone coverage
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”