sharetrader
Page 251 of 397 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 3966

Scoop yesterday .."LGNZ President Dave Cull says that a new forecast predicting an international visitor increase of 37% to 5.1 million annually by 2024 will be a great boost to regional economies across New Zealand, however infrastructure is already under pressure and much more is needed to ensure a fair funding division is achieved between tourists and local ratepayers.
    The report released by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment shows a big uplift in tourist numbers and spending, with total international visitor spend expected to reach $14.8 billion in 2024, up 40 per cent from 2017.
    “The tourism sector is predicted to grow rapidly over the next two years, but as evidenced last summer infrastructure it is extremely stretched in many regions, with provision of public toilets, car parks and basic potable and waste water infrastructure coming at a substantial cost to communities,” says Mr Cull."

it all comes at a price eh ?
    Bolly bands very tight .. good buyers lining up. I think this it due for a lift and will climb a bit this half year. here's hoping. It has stalled a bit, understandably, since January.
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-05-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Good volume for Monday, over 850k shares traded so far. I guess Milford still offloading them and more importantly who's buying, that chinese outfit perhaps....
    Dont understand Milford selling down to be honest wish I had a few more

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Dont understand Milford selling down to be honest wish I had a few more
    I guess any share will move after some stellar rise into a consolidation (or downturn) phase. THL won't be different. Is this the time? Who knows, but if you compare the situation of us small retail investors with the big fund managers: Retail investors can typically wait until some peak is forming and sell out at their favorite MA. The big boys can't do that because there is not enough liquidity on the way down if they want to get rid of millions - i.e. they need to sell into strength.

And hey - if you look at the trend, it is certainly flattening. Quite conceivable that $6.30 was the peak ... but the bigger question for Milford is probably - is the future up potential larger than the future down potential?

Discl: hon't hold
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Scoop yesterday .."LGNZ President Dave Cull says that a new forecast predicting an international visitor increase of 37% to 5.1 million annually by 2024 will be a great boost to regional economies across New Zealand, however infrastructure is already under pressure and much more is needed to ensure a fair funding division is achieved between tourists and local ratepayers.
    The report released by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment shows a big uplift in tourist numbers and spending, with total international visitor spend expected to reach $14.8 billion in 2024, up 40 per cent from 2017.
    “The tourism sector is predicted to grow rapidly over the next two years, but as evidenced last summer infrastructure it is extremely stretched in many regions, with provision of public toilets, car parks and basic potable and waste water infrastructure coming at a substantial cost to communities,” says Mr Cull."

it all comes at a price eh ?
    Bolly bands very tight .. good buyers lining up. I think this it due for a lift and will climb a bit this half year. here's hoping. It has stalled a bit, understandably, since January.
    That all just sounds awful. right up there with converting the McKenzie country to dairy. IMO something is wrong with how we are measuring progress in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I guess any share will move after some stellar rise into a consolidation (or downturn) phase. THL won't be different. Is this the time? Who knows, but if you compare the situation of us small retail investors with the big fund managers: Retail investors can typically wait until some peak is forming and sell out at their favorite MA. The big boys can't do that because there is not enough liquidity on the way down if they want to get rid of millions - i.e. they need to sell into strength.

And hey - if you look at the trend, it is certainly flattening. Quite conceivable that $6.30 was the peak ... but the bigger question for Milford is probably - is the future up potential larger than the future down potential?

Discl: hon't hold
    Quite a few of these high flying stocks on the NZX have charts showing this ‘consolidation’ pattern and down a bit off their highs ......similar patterns were evident in 2007 as well

The bullish case is always most compelling on the highs.

Just saying
    Last edited by winner69; 11-05-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

According to the PATA, top Asia pacific tourism destinations in annual growth terms would be Sri-Lanka, Japan, China, Macao Sar and Thailand in the coming years. Hotelier IHG.L is having room revenue rises thanks to strong demand from China.

Could NZ also have some growth in tourism? How it will benefit tourism holdings? Will there be more chinese visitors?

Cheers
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 13-05-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    According to the PATA, top Asia pacific tourism destinations in annual growth terms would be Sri-Lanka, Japan, China, Macao Sar and Thailand in the coming years. Hotelier IHG.L is having room revenue rises thanks to strong demand from China.

Could NZ also have some growth in tourism? How it will benefit tourism holdings? Will there be more chinese visitors?

Cheers
    Visitor numbers to NZ currently around 3.8m per year, up from 2.9m about 3 years ago. Forecasted to hit 5m in 2022-2023. THL should see a significant benefit from this.

Advanced Member

Someone has to win and this company should benefit from the increase in tourists. I feel for other tourist operators who will be struggling with these thoughts. Where do I get the staff required for this? How can I afford to pay basic minimum wages of $20 per hour and if I pay more will they still be available? We already have a shortage in the labour force when tourism comes into play and they all complain that they are not earning enough. Does THL have contingencies for the extra costs flying their way?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Visitor numbers to NZ currently around 3.8m per year, up from 2.9m about 3 years ago. Forecasted to hit 5m in 2022-2023. THL should see a significant benefit from this.
    Its already heinously overcrowded at Queenstown. This level of tourism will basically ruin the experience for New Zealanders travelling in their own country.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/103...t-the-industry I think we need to start charging a serious cost to pay for the infrastructure required so they're not doing their business on the side of the road by the lake.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Someone has to win and this company should benefit from the increase in tourists. I feel for other tourist operators who will be struggling with these thoughts. Where do I get the staff required for this? How can I afford to pay basic minimum wages of $20 per hour and if I pay more will they still be available? We already have a shortage in the labour force when tourism comes into play and they all complain that they are not earning enough. Does THL have contingencies for the extra costs flying their way?
    Totally agree Ggcc. The issues you raise, as well as immigration restrictions on people willing to work in this industry (and other service and primary industries) are serious issues for all tourism and leisure businesses. Hard for any of them to have contingencies in place though, when they still don't know what the rules will be. BBut we have to assume THL's business will be less affected than many other much more labour intensive businesses.

Agree Beagle that we should be implementing a tourism levy to pay for some of the required infrastructure and service
    Last edited by iceman; 14-05-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added sentence