sharetrader
Page 129 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1711
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I saw a documentary about petfood last week on Tubi. Most stuff that goes into petfood could barely be called meat. I would not pick on Blackhawk in particular, it is standard practice world wide. They all play fast and loose when it comes to product labelling, content etc.

I suspect most consumers would rather not know the truth. It is like nearly everyone that eats meat. Deep down they know there is lots of animal cruelty involved, but their burgers taste so nice they turn a blind eye.
    Yes, for sure product labelling and claims are often fast & loose.

Many of the companies, especially the major US producers use MDM - mechanically deboned meat. So residual bones and waste ex edible carcase from when it is being processed into cuts. These are broken down, and squeezed under pressure - so all the residual meat, fat, soft tissue, marrow etc.

Meal is the rendered down (ie cooked) waste - skulls, hooves, stomach contents etc. So to put it in your product as Blackhawk does, and then have a chicken breast or lamb french rack on the packaging is quite simply, ridiculous.

Veteran novice

Bear in mind that the Animal Care division's revenue was about 5% of Group total in 2020. And there's more to "Animal Care " than Blackhawk products.

Disc: Holding.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Bear in mind that the Animal Care division's revenue was about 5% of Group total in 2020. And there's more to "Animal Care " than Blackhawk products.

The animal care products made me hesitate about investing in EBOS because they also sell a range of dog treats sourced from China. Just Google duck treats for dogs and the FDA if you want a fright.

However, as stated it's a small % of the income and what I like about EBOS is the diverse income streams and the health sector revenue streams

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post

Yes, appreciate not all Blackhawk products, but Animal Care was 13%. (2020 AR, Page 7).

13% of $8.8b is north of $1.1b. This turnover is much bigger in itself than many listed companies.

Personally, I would have expected better regarding Blackhawk.

are you guys sure of your facts here or are you just slinging mud generically ?

sure they use meal in some of the products but not all and ALL of them have heaps of other nutritional stuff
    random examples here one for dog and one for cat

• Cat

Product Ingredients

Chicken, chicken broth, peas, lamb, plasma protein, egg powder, essential vitamins and minerals*, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, guar gum, carrageenan, salt, locust bean gum, caramel, xanthan gum, taurine, emu oil, glucosamine HCI, chondroitin sulphate, cranberries, blueberries, coconut, pumpkin, dried kelp.
    * A blend of essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids to support cat health

Crude Protein 8.50% (min)
    Crude Fat 5.00% (min)
    Crude Fibre 1.00% (max)

• Dog

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potato, Sweet Potato, Chicken Gravy, Sugar Beet Pulp, Essential Vitamins and Minerals (see tables), Salmon Oil, Sunflower Oil, Chicory Root, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Egg, Alfalfa, Salt, Apple, Brewers Yeast, Pumpkin Seeds, Natural Antioxidants, Coconut Oil, Yoghurt Powder, Emu Oil, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dandelion Tea, Parsley, Peppermint Tea, Rosemary Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Carrots, Yucca Schidigera, Spinach, Kelp, Tomato, Beta Carotene.

Crude Protein 28% (min)
    Crude Fat 18% (min)
    Crude Fibre 2% (max)

I mean I am currently studying to be an epidemiologist so dont have the time to be come an animal food nutrition expert but it looks like a lot of thought and effort has gone into the composition of their products to me.

So if you are going to rattle on about it, please use some facts related to Ebos and Blackhawk , like I have, and not just talk about pet food manufacturers in general
    Last edited by peat; 06-10-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

percy

Well the excitement builds.
    We all eagerly await with bated breath, PAZ's launch of pet treats,made in NZ, from only NZ source ingredients ......

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Well the excitement builds.
    We all eagerly await with bated breath, PAZ's launch of pet treats,made in NZ, from only NZ source ingredients ......
    wrong thread Percy
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

percy

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    wrong thread Percy
    Could not help myself....lol.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    are you guys sure of your facts here or are you just slinging mud generically ?

sure they use meal in some of the products but not all and ALL of them have heaps of other nutritional stuff
    random examples here one for dog and one for cat

• Cat

Product Ingredients

Chicken, chicken broth, peas, lamb, plasma protein, egg powder, essential vitamins and minerals*, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, guar gum, carrageenan, salt, locust bean gum, caramel, xanthan gum, taurine, emu oil, glucosamine HCI, chondroitin sulphate, cranberries, blueberries, coconut, pumpkin, dried kelp.
    * A blend of essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids to support cat health

Crude Protein 8.50% (min)
    Crude Fat 5.00% (min)
    Crude Fibre 1.00% (max)

• Dog

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potato, Sweet Potato, Chicken Gravy, Sugar Beet Pulp, Essential Vitamins and Minerals (see tables), Salmon Oil, Sunflower Oil, Chicory Root, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Egg, Alfalfa, Salt, Apple, Brewers Yeast, Pumpkin Seeds, Natural Antioxidants, Coconut Oil, Yoghurt Powder, Emu Oil, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dandelion Tea, Parsley, Peppermint Tea, Rosemary Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Carrots, Yucca Schidigera, Spinach, Kelp, Tomato, Beta Carotene.

Crude Protein 28% (min)
    Crude Fat 18% (min)
    Crude Fibre 2% (max)

I mean I am currently studying to be an epidemiologist so dont have the time to be come an animal food nutrition expert but it looks like a lot of thought and effort has gone into the composition of their products to me.

So if you are going to rattle on about it, please use some facts related to Ebos and Blackhawk , like I have, and not just talk about pet food manufacturers in general
    Their composition would have been through a nutritionist and likely to meet AAFCO standards (some of their foods say this, although unsure if all are - but not compulsory). Yes, have lots of other good stuff - which is great to see where alot of other products have a long listed of scientific compounds.

But my "beef" is simply that Blackhawk say they have "real meat" in their foods. In particular, with their lamb & beef foods, I don't consider meal as "real meat". They have a picture of a lamb French rack on their packaging.....I simply see it as being way too cute with what they say.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Could not help myself....lol.
    Never miss an opportunity eh Percy!