sharetrader
Page 59 of 172 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Red face I confidently predict we are wrong

Google disagrees with Yahoo on the price 5 years ago and I disagree with both of them.
    (You would think the price was a fact, but no even this is subject to the handling of events such as reconstructions/cap raising/etc)

But using my definitive data here are the 5 year growth figures for Ebos NZ share price, dividends excluded:

EBO-5 year performance.PNG

He who is furthest away from the first $20 SP day buys the drinks.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Google disagrees with Yahoo on the price 5 years ago and I disagree with both of them.
    (You would think the price was a fact, but no even this is subject to the handling of events such as reconstructions/cap raising/etc)

But using my definitive data here are the 5 year growth figures for Ebos NZ share price, dividends excluded:

EBO-5 year performance.PNG

He who is furthest away from the first $20 SP day buys the drinks.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    I am happy with your "definitve" data,although not unhappy with either google's or yahoo's.
    Be unhappy to buy the drinks if I am wrong,but will do so, never the less in the unlikely event!!! lol.

Veteran novice

Up another 23c today!

I'm usually a half-full man but this price is getting me a bit nervous. Any retraction might see me selling a few of my oldest NZ holding.

Cool One year is a very long time in the stock market

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Up another 23c today!

I'm usually a half-full man but this price is getting me a bit nervous. Any retraction might see me selling a few of my oldest NZ holding.
    The share price has gone from $9.25 a year ago to $12.46 today and has also gone ex-div three times (including today) with $0.675 (net) worth of dividends.

So a total gain of 42%

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Disc: part performance is not a guarantee of future performance.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 30-09-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: as => has
    om mani peme hum

Super Investor

Default Buy stop in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    The share price has gone from $9.25 a year ago to $12.46 today and has also gone ex-div three times (including today) with $0.675 (net) worth of dividends.

So a total gain of 42%

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Disc: part performance is not a guarantee of future performance.
    Well it was a bargain a year ago.
    Still a margin of safety but I'm not buying above $12.46
    h2

I've been in since 1.04.2007 and reinvested the net divs in the DRIP when it has been operating. My computer book keeping programme shows this as an IRR of 244.71%. Time held is 8½ years therefore the annual gain is about 28.8%. Not bad, but not my best performing stock either! I'm glad I bought a decent amount of them back in 2007. Av entry price including the DRIP purchases is now $4.795. I have not sold any despite the up and down nature of the share price. From an FA point of view this has always been undervalued or fairly valued thus a buy or hold.

Thumbs up Still not to be sneezed at

Quote Originally Posted by glennj View Post
    I've been in since 1.04.2007 and reinvested the net divs in the DRIP when it has been operating. My computer book keeping programme shows this as an IRR of 244.71%. Time held is 8½ years therefore the annual gain is about 28.8%. ...
    Your annual rate of return is 15.7% (You have to compound it)

EBO-Gain-20151001.PNG

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Hi PT, I just gave a simple average based on 8½ years since the first purchase even though the DRIP purchases are obviously staggered and more recent than that. I know about compounding and could have compiled a compounded annual return including the various DRIP parcels but didn't because the calcs would be much more complex. By the way I used the net value of divs excluding WHT and imputation credits. Is there a "proper" way to account for divs when stating performance returns? (I know what is required on tax returns) For the performance calcs I add in the net value of divs in the hand even though at a later date there may sometimes be a refund for some of the WHT or imp credits.

Cool If you are making a good return on you money - be happy

Hi PT, I just gave a simple average based on 8½ years since the first purchase even though the DRIP purchases are obviously staggered and more recent than that. I know about compounding and could have compiled a compounded annual return including the various DRIP parcels but didn't because the calcs would be much more complex.
    I could see what you did but I did not want our listeners out there to get an inflated idea of EBOS.

But a quick and dirty compound calculation [=power(3.4471,1/8.5) or similar if you use a spreadsheet] gives a good flavour of historical average returns.

By the way I used the net value of divs excluding WHT and imputation credits. Is there a "proper" way to account for divs when stating performance returns? (I know what is required on tax returns) For the performance calcs I add in the net value of divs in the hand even though at a later date there may sometimes be a refund for some of the WHT or imp credits.
    The simple answer is that it is complicated
    and the complicated answer is that it depends* .

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

*I really don't want to clutter this thread with this sort of stuff what with tax exempt gains and taxable gains and all but:
    value after tax at end of tax year/value at beginning of tax year is a good (but personal) measure of the real world.
    om mani peme hum

Further to the above post including the DRIPs I have bought c.20 seperate parcels of EBO shares. Stating the performance of just the large initial purchase from April 2007 which is currently still held the annualised (compound) return is 12.24%. I'm not going to do the calc for all the other parcels bought since 2007 but the info suggests that annualised returns must have been higher for the more recently purchased parcels. BTW thanks for your input PT. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing re accounting for dividends when calculating performance returns for my use. An accountant does my investment company tax returns.
    Last edited by glennj; 01-10-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Additional content.