sharetrader
Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    MLN warrants on fire ...looks like every man and his dog wants toncash in on this certainty
    Your mates from the bowling club being market trend setters.?

Advanced Member

Lower dollar helping today still decent gap to NTA but closing at least.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Lower dollar helping today still decent gap to NTA but closing at least.
    But the NTA will have increased as well so gap maintained.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    But the NTA will have increased as well so gap maintained.
    Find out on Thursday but 3c jump today is biggest day +ve increase I can recall.

$Kiwi looks very vulnerable, just like the economy and to be frank both look dangerously like falling down a dark rathole with a depth of who knows ? Great to have some money in offshore assets.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    $Kiwi looks very vulnerable, just like the economy and to be frank both look dangerously like falling down a dark rathole with a depth of who knows ? Great to have some money in offshore assets.
    Hardly - the job market is still strong, a fair bit of the confidence survey in my opinion is a protest vote from employers - we voted National but we lost, time to accept things, the new normal.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Hardly - the job market is still strong, a fair bit of the confidence survey in my opinion is a protest vote from employers - we voted National but we lost, time to accept things, the new normal.
    If employers cut back on investment , job cuts will follow and the economy will tip . Agree Beagle 62 cents here we come , especially with Fonterra spluttering ....

percy

……."Bring back Bill."...………..

A safe pair of hands wherein business could plan with a reasonable degree of certainty.

At issue now is with over 100 different working groups looking at policy framework change, how does business plan 3-5 years down the track now ? For example, how much will water cost per cubic meter for that proposed new irrigation project, will Iwi get a royalty ?, will the greens allow the drawdown from rivers ? is that new multi million dollar irrigation project viable or some future potential white elephant ?

The tax working group is another example. Nobody has any idea at this stage what the policy framework will look like down the track. What will the corporate tax rate be, will there be capital gains tax, a land tax, an inheritance tax, some form of wealth transfer tax. Will GST go up ?
    There's simply too much uncertainty about which direction this Govt will lurch in next and its impact on business. In this environment I expect a lot of people in business will simply take a wait and see approach and put a freeze on major capex. This is the reason why small business is at its most pessimistic since the depth of the GFC.

I would argue its not a protest vote, its a vote of no confidence and how do we plan in this environment and if small and medium business stop investing in new projects and stop expanding because its too hard then we're inevitably headed for a serious slowdown.

I plan to allocate more investments overseas and have a degree of urgency around that.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Beagle I hear what you’re saying but surveys are just that, surveys. Real flows are looking very healthy