sharetrader
Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin

TEM might be what you're looking for mate. Ultra low costs and exposure to emerging markets and listed on the NZX so simple to access.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    A no hassle investment that pays a tax free dividend and no FIF crap to attend to. PS-Warrants are easy to deal with ie convert them or sell them. Disc-XXOS sized holding.
    Of course what you mean Couta is that the managers of Marlin are the ones that deal with the FIF regime, not you. There is a bit of a myth developing on this forum that the FIF regime is difficult to deal with. Stripped to its basics this isn't true. It is actually no more complicated than withholding tax on fixed interest (two inputs, gross income and withholding tax), for example.

There are only two input figures for FIF:

1/ Start of year opening balance of your investment.
    2/ Exchange rate to covert that figure to NZ dollars.

The steps to calculate your tax liability are then:

1/ Work out what 5% of your opening balance comes to.
    2/ use that figure as 'deemed income' and pay tax at your marginal tax rate.

That's it!

Dividends can be ignored for tax purposes. Much simpler than the case of owning NZ shares.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 25-04-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

To add to Snoopy's post.

Also work out the end of year balance and deduct the opening balance and from this figure add any dividends or distribution and if this is less than 5% then pay tax on this amount. CV method.

Of course you have to adjust for buying and selling during the year.

Trust me on this, neither I or Couta1 need any more paperwork to do than we've already got !
    As 33% taxpayers the PIE structure of Marlin's dividends suits us perfectly.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

FIF is fairly straight forward but gets messy if you buy and sell shares in the same tax year which, for simplicity, I try to avoid. Dowse Murray chartered accountants used to provide a FIF spreadsheet for use which I have found very useful - a copy is available here (although again it didn't deal with buying and selling in the same tax year). Dowse Murray has since merged with another accounting firm so the download link in the spreadsheet no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    FIF is fairly straight forward but gets messy if you buy and sell shares in the same tax year which, for simplicity, I try to avoid. Dowse Murray chartered accountants used to provide a FIF spreadsheet for use which I have found very useful - a copy is available here (although again it didn't deal with buying and selling in the same tax year). Dowse Murray has since merged with another accounting firm so the download link in the spreadsheet no longer works.
    ^^^^Messy = plenty of work.

I use sharesight to keep a record of all my shares and for 1 month I opt for expert plan that gives me premium reports which includes the FIF report, all done in seconds, then I return to investor reporting which is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    I use sharesight to keep a record of all my shares and for 1 month I opt for expert plan that gives me premium reports which includes the FIF report, all done in seconds, then I return to investor reporting which is cheaper.
    I like the cut of your jib!

Nice jump in NTA to 98.47 cps on Friday. 88 cents a pretty cheap and easy way to diversify some of one's portfolio offshore and a pretty handy discount to NTA of over the average at 10.6%.
    My rating HHH (Hound holding heaps)

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    To add to Snoopy's post.

Also work out the end of year balance and deduct the opening balance and from this figure add any dividends or distribution and if this is less than 5% then pay tax on this amount. CV method.

Of course you have to adjust for buying and selling during the year.
    I carefully left out the complication of the CV method that allows individuals and certain trusts to dodge their Fair Dividend Rate (FDR) payments in years where the fair dividend rate would still tax investors when there has been no gain. So fair point to mention it 777. However Marlin is a company and as such I don't believe the CV method is available to it as an alternative way to assess FIF tax. I have tried to find a reference to confirm this on the new IRD website. However, all I got to were broken links, so I am going by memory.

If I am right this means that Marlin will be paying tax on investments even when they make a capital loss on those investments, because they must use the FDR option. So yes you avoid having to do the CV calculation if you invest in Marlin. But if you are really worried about doing these CV calculations as an individual you don't have to. You can just pay your tax using the FDR method, the same as all companies do. This means I stand by my claim that, at its core, the FDR method is actually simpler than having to pay tax on dividends that you might receive from NZX listed companies.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7