sharetrader
Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin

"MLN listed in October/November 2007".... yup
    Then came the big financial crunch 2008.
    MLN, KFL,BRM took a hit as did most other coy's
    The LPT's did also. Those who got in on the low levels
    are Smiling today, Divvies in the 9 -10% (PIE)
    I think Percy we are not on the same wave length.
    You are talking mainly growth stocks, while I follow
    divvy stocks, mainly.
    I think these ETF's will hold in until overseas markets find
    their feet. Those holding at 72 -74c will be in a nice position.

"In the meantime look what other companies' share price have done; EBO from $4.82 to $9.60,TUA from $1.12 to $1.80,POT from $6.76 to $14,RYM from $2.07 to $6.76,SKL from.96 to $1.38."
    Nice going for a bit of hind sight and I would make the point.
    (no offence) You are a trader and as such do not make your money until you sell.
    I am an invester, I hate selling shares. And do so only as a portfolio management tool.
    Therefore my portfolio returns 10.43% over all (mostly PIE) and , oh yes there is
    quite a cap gain in there. But if i was to sell, then I would only have to put the
    money somewhere else. And in this market climate ??. No I will just keep pulling
    the interest and reinvesting into divvy stocks, my style you see.
    You off course make a lot more money than me coz you trade Short/ medium term
    and you understand the market forces much better than me.
    so all in all.... each to their own
    BB
    MLN.... SShhhh else they will all know

Totally agree BB, especially the SShhhh part. ZZ

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    "MLN listed in October/November 2007".... yup
    Then came the big financial crunch 2008.
    MLN, KFL,BRM took a hit as did most other coy's
    The LPT's did also. Those who got in on the low levels
    are Smiling today, Divvies in the 9 -10% (PIE)
    I think Percy we are not on the same wave length.
    You are talking mainly growth stocks, while I follow
    divvy stocks, mainly.
    I think these ETF's will hold in until overseas markets find
    their feet. Those holding at 72 -74c will be in a nice position.

"In the meantime look what other companies' share price have done; EBO from $4.82 to $9.60,TUA from $1.12 to $1.80,POT from $6.76 to $14,RYM from $2.07 to $6.76,SKL from.96 to $1.38."
    Nice going for a bit of hind sight and I would make the point.
    (no offence) You are a trader and as such do not make your money until you sell.
    I am an invester, I hate selling shares. And do so only as a portfolio management tool.
    Therefore my portfolio returns 10.43% over all (mostly PIE) and , oh yes there is
    quite a cap gain in there. But if i was to sell, then I would only have to put the
    money somewhere else. And in this market climate ??. No I will just keep pulling
    the interest and reinvesting into divvy stocks, my style you see.
    You off course make a lot more money than me coz you trade Short/ medium term
    and you understand the market forces much better than me.
    so all in all.... each to their own
    BB
    MLN.... SShhhh else they will all know

I have held EBO since 1991.
    The other stocks I have held for over 4 years.I think I posted those companies a few years ago on thread "where would you put you money."So it is on record.
    I think you should look at EBO and HNZ,for dividend and share price growth.

EBO. used to hold & sold... mug me
    HNZ. .... tks for the tip I will put on watch list and do some study
    cheers BB

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    MLN listed in October/November 2007.NTA at time was .9721 cents, and the SP was about the same..
    Now nearly 6 years later the NTA is 89cents,and the SP is 73 cents.
    In the meantime look what other companies' share price have done; EBO from $4.82 to $9.60,TUA from $1.12 to $1.80,POT from $6.76 to $14,RYM from $2.07 to $6.76,SKL from.96 to $1.38.
    While MLN SP has gone from .97cents to .73cents.
    They have destroyed shareholders wealth.Your money is better invested elsewhere to obtain dividends and SP growth.
    I repeat avoid MLN,as they are a serial under performer.
    Percy, your points are valid for a knowledgeable investor. Less so for an inexperienced retiree with a limited sum of capital from which they require income and don't want to have to regularly liquidate small parcels of shares to get it.

RYM never paid a high % yield. SKL fell a long way from its $1.15 issue price and stopped divs completely before things finally turned around for it. And, if we are talking of an investor with just $50k- $200k in savings in retirement, who wants to add $3-5k in income per year to their super, how many shares are you going to suggest they take a risk on to get some diversification? Especially if they only plan to review their portfolio once or twice a year...

I guess I should probably have started a new non-MLN-specific thread re suitable investments for this type of "challenging" portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    You should have thrown XRo in just for fun.

The constant dividend masks their performance. Unlike normal companies, the dividend is not paid from income but is a set amount, regardless of income or asset value.
    I know that the dividend comes out of capital and that it is debateable whether 8% of NAV is sustainable without eroding NAV, as it requires them to achieve at least 8%pa net return - a difficult level for most funds to average through good and bad. However, if they can achieve a 6% return, they will still erode capital relatively slowly and will be returning a better income than a term deposit presently does... and if the NTA gap closes, there is some capital gain to be had as well. There are also some possible macro winds in their sales as NZ currency has been trading at historic highs and now trending back down. That means, that for now at least, they appear to be achieving returns greater than div payout, as the last series of ex-div NAV read as follows:
    Dec 2012: 0.8068
    Mar 2013: 0.8627
    Jun 2013: 0.8815

percy

Lizard,I have been trying to find the thread "where would you invest" where I stated about 6 stocks,can't find it.
    So here is a new list of 6 stocks [plus a spare] which will give growth and dividends,which should not need any adjustments for 5 years.
    EBO $9.65 , CEN $5.36 ,HNZ .82cents, POT $14.01, SUM $2.92, TUA $1.80 and spare one SKL $1.29.

Lizard,I have been trying to find the thread "where would you invest" where I stated about 6 stocks,can't find it.
    So here is a new list of 6 stocks [plus a spare] which will give growth and dividends,which should not need any adjustments for 5 years.
    EBO $9.65 , CEN $5.36 ,HNZ .82cents, POT $14.01, SUM $2.92, TUA $1.80 and spare one SKL $1.29.
    All good stocks Percy, in fact I own a couple myself. But they are mostly exposed to NZ economy. Marlin is about investing outside of Australasia, so you really are comparing apples with pears. If you get my drift.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    All good stocks Percy, in fact I own a couple myself. But they are mostly exposed to NZ economy. Marlin is about investing outside of Australasia, so you really are comparing apples with pears. If you get my drift.
    Well they haven't done too well.!!!!
    May be a lot safer [and wealthier] with my Apples.!!

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    EBO. used to hold & sold... mug me
    HNZ. .... tks for the tip I will put on watch list and do some study
    cheers BB
    You are not alone.Over the years I have listened to too much noise and have sold down my EBO.!! Mugs together.!!
    Now trying to add to them!!

Well they haven't done too well.!!!!
    May be a lot safer [and wealthier] with my Apples.!!
    "Haven't they done well" Big round of applause. But purely as a matter of risk management / diversification, shouldn't you pop a few pears in the mix.