Quote Originally Posted by steve fleming View Post
To me, the simplicity is the beauty of the PE ratio - it provides a pretty quick assessment of a company's relative value against its peers/comparable companies, its sector and the market generally, as well as its own historical PE.

While the Damodaran version is probably more accurate, and is great in theory, practically it would be just too much effort to make much use of.

As Lizard rightly pointed out, EV/EBIT or EV/EBITDA is a far more robust capitalisation multiple, and which i find is being used more and more these days (as it should be!) at the expense of PE ratios.

EV/EBIT and EV/EBITDA multiples eliminate ddifferent types of valuation techniqueistortions between different companies' capital structuring (I), asset utilisation (D&A) and tax positions (T), thus providing a far more accurate estimate of operating earnings for each company - which in turn makes it a better measure for comparable company analysis as you are comparing like against like.

However it requires a bit more work to calculate than a PE - unless you have access to a financial database like Bloomberg or Reuters!

Zyreon - you can simply deduct debt/surpus cash from the firm valuation/Enterprise value and that gives you the equity valuation / market cap.
I have been fiddling around with various PE mutants, in trying to value the target shareprice of rapidly expanding companies. I had a drastic end to a love affair with measuring the EBITDA factor into calculations. I prematurely posted an extremely very simple version onto sharetrader under Rakon before it's shock report and ended up with egg on my face....:o:o

...However it requires a bit more work to calculate than a PE - unless you have access to a financial database like Bloomberg or Reuters!...

oh how true Steve (hindsight).

Liz mentions very good points where.... "different types of valuation technique serve better with companies at different stages of maturity and in different industries".

Interesting site for a look is http://valuepro.net/ .They have an expansion of factors to try and take out the kinks in shareprice valuation... haven't yet had the time to read through it properly and digest it

Snoopy I've just started chewing through your Professor Damodaran's formula, must study it up more fully..thanks

Great thread...keep it up