sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you do?

Soon I will hopefully have abou NZ$700,000 to invest, what advice could anyone give me?

A drug habit and some lady-boys should take care of that in no time.

Otherwise have a look at a horse, lots of fun on race days.

At the moment, leave it in a bank for those juicy interest rates. Global markets are an absolute mess. Spend a few bucks buying sharemarket books first and then study technical analysis and fundamental analysis. Knowledge is the most important thing here. Any money spent here will be the best money spent

How is your risk profile? Can you live with losing 40% of your capital? Are you close to retirement?
    Last edited by AMR; 22-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
    Soon I will hopefully have abou NZ$700,000 to invest, what advice could anyone give me?
    We get these threads started all the time, but to help you to help yourself.

1. Have you invested in shares before?

2. If not, whats the attraction now/whats your risk profile?

3. Most advice you will get from this site (ie AMR) will suggest the following:

* - Buy some books & read up/research, i recommend "The Intelligent Investor" as a MUST READ, for anyone contemplating investing in the sharemarket.

I also rate the AFR Smart Investor monthly magazine as a great source.

The ASX & NZX websites have plenty of "self help" topics too & are free.

* - Paper trade for a while until you feel confident to invest, you might wanna spread $100k over 7 different stocks to start with?

(Do this for 3 - 6 months & see how you go, BEFORE jumping in)

* - Devise a system/strategy (after studying TA/FA) & stick to it, no matter what, discipline & common sense are your biggest tools!

* Ask questions - there are plenty of helpful posters on this site

Could I suggest a punt on a recovery in the finance sector? You could donate a large chunk of your funds to say, Bridgecorp.

Before you disregard this suggestion, there have been a number of financial planners who have 'researched' this company and have found it to be a secure, well-managed investment opportunity.

With so many touting its prospects, Bridgecorp must be a sure-fire winner once the finance sector recovers!!!

Invest and reap what you sow...

Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Certainly think about investing a significant proportion overseas in more major markets. Of course there are always currency risks when you do that, but the NZ dollar is near the top of its historic exchange rate range against both the US dollar and the pound and you can minimise the risk if you are confident that you won't need to bring back cash to NZ in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    A drug habit and some lady-boys should take care of that in no time.

Otherwise have a look at a horse, lots of fun on race days.
    Niice.

With great advice like that "rev" must be short for "reverend"?

Guru

Apologies DoctorG if I sound harsh and if a assume wrong, but it sounds like you are new to this.

This may seem harsh words but if you are a newbie...
    ...this is the scenario happening at the moment....

Kid you not, it is pure carnage in the market place. I wish a could put you off investing in shares for the moment..it will save you your money. Experts and experienced investors are bleeding, you as a newbie will be slaughtered.

There are many expert investors out there which thought they were "bullet proof "and took this ugly market head-on and are now probably have 20% less money than they had a Xmas, and are licking their wounds during this hiatus.

Many sharetrader posters are probably feeling pain at the moment but many will not admit it publicly on this website so we don't know the full extent of the damage, so read these posts as info/dis-info and be cautious.

I suggest

You read Shasta's posts several times, there is sound advice in this post
    Also register at a brokering website I use Direct Brokering (there are many others)and set out a dummy portfolio and assign stocks you like to it and practice while you are learning and see how much play money you have earned or lost. Like other brokerage sites registration is free.

My best investment website is investopedia, this is a "one stop shop" site. this huge site can teach you everything, a must have site.

During Bear market phases stock prices are dictated more by human behaviour than by pure financial fundamentals so see this sharetrader thread for some good books to read.

TA (technical analysis) is the analysis of investor buying and selling behaviour...a must know especially in this current environment. An excellent site (apart from investopedia) is Incredible Charts this site can teach you all you need to know about TA.

Well this info I have mentioned is the tip of the iceberg.
    Best of luck
    Hoop

A word of wisdom Tip; If you think you know everything there needs to know about share investing it means you know a little more than nothing.
    Last edited by Hoop; 23-01-2008 at 11:26 AM.

certainly you need to consider an appropriate asset allocation strategy before you choose specific stocks etc
    eg what proportion of the money is devoted to property stocks bonds or cash.
    this will depend on your risk profile which is largely determined by age.

it shouldnt take too much googling to understand these concepts.

only THEN you can you begin to consider which stocks (in which countries) to buy
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

I have found that just having money is not a good reason to force yourself to do something with it. Hasty decisions are likely to be bad decisions. Better to take your time to review alternatives - act slowly, don't put it all on one horse...that much might take a year to invest beyond the bank unless you have been doing a bit of investing already. Also, unless you are completely clueless, don't trust other people to invest your money - take your time.

Do a I say don't do as I do.....