sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beach houses

population from Taupo north...wouldnt try my luck any further south of BOP ...thats not to say there arent good buys...just not my area ...heard of beach front in Tairua where there are 3 looking to buy but no properties for sale...thats ocean beach...once again very few houses on the beach, but close to the main population of Auckland and Waikato...sure you go one road back and its a disaster...same as the Mount and any other beach...of course the odd on will come up where the owner needs to sell but the buyers will be there...where I did own a beach property, ether side of me 3 each way,the properties were owned by families and had been in the families over 25 years..just dont come on the market...that is the areas you need to be ...if you can get in...

Malcom dont disagree at all....the only thing that will save NZ property is a large drop in the dollar and large inflow of people

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    ps source just retired coromandle real estate agent of 23 years.
    Is that just another way to say a RE agent who hasn't sold anything this year?
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    These beach homes...are they quite spartan or will they be comfortable to live in long term with electricity, broadband, plumbing, etc?
    Modern ones are palacial. My parents is worth more than their own home and it was built on the cheapest section in the development and I am sure people look at it sideways at it as they drive past in their BMW/HSV/Cayenne/other large vehicle.

Not sure about broadband but most have a sky dish (not sure if they have a decoder or they just bring their one from home).

Flat screen TV are also a must for the decerning bach buyer. Someone broke into my parents and were gutted to find the only things of value were a $100 warehouse tv and stereo.

Add to that the boat (essential).

I dont know why people would have a mortgage on a bach. If you cant afford to pay cash, you cant afford it.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

cj...whats your problem...a mortage is one way of leveraging your way into a bach(or anything for that reason)...but its all about timing and location....I borrowed when I bought my bach....the mortgae was a third of the price when I bought..when I sold 10 years later the same mortage was only a 13th of the sale price...If I had waited until I had 100% cash to buy I would have never bought it..would have been chasing the price up...maybe a different story now but thats why I say timing and location is important ...give it two years and the timing will be right again

malcom like I said before ..the only thing that will save NZ property is a lower dollar bringing home more pounds and more people coming in...under national I believe that will happen...

Advanced Member

Nice try Redzone - I reckon you're dreamin, why would they come home under National?

Quote Originally Posted by steve fleming View Post
    Certainly in Australia, that culture of people packing up for 3-4 weeks over Xmas and heading to their beach house does not exist.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/FONT]
    Must be a Sydney based observation Steve. It is still very common in Victoria / Melbourne to head off to beach house or camp site at Chrismas / January
    Cheers

BobbyVee

tim23...what I said was bring their money home and others coming in.....meaning nzdrs overseas sending money home with a lower exchange rate and others wanting to come to NZ...under National it is more likely that the person we would have coming here would be a reverse of what has been coming here over the last ten years....meaning they would more likely purchase a house as opposed to us suppling them a state house and all the other costs attached.Get my drift...

Advanced Member

Redzone - plenty of ex-pats fuelled the housing market post 9/11 and thats under Labour so your arguement seems a bit flawed, the movement in and out of NZ is nothing new and nothing to do with a Labour or National government