sharetrader
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Deev8 View Post
    So it is!

Of course that means that we still don't know what the appropriate disclosure form is.
    My understanding is they haven't released the form yet. Expect an announcement shortly and a form within the month.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deev8 View Post
    But the issue is how to complete question 38 on the IR3?
    Easy, Tick "yes" , and write NIL on 38A !

That was what I effectively did for my company, I had overpaid my provisional tax, and was due a refund as soon as I put my tax return in.

Or does IRD expect everyone to delay putting in their tax returns untill they come up with an appropriate disclosure form ?

For a tax that was effective since 01/04/07 it is a pretty poor effort by IRD.

PS: My company also receives non FDR foreign dividends (on which it has to make quarterly returns, and payments of Foreign Dividend Withholding Payments) Has the IRD updated their forms for the June quarter to reflect the reduced company tax rate of 30% ? Nope !
    Last edited by kura; 26-05-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Addes PS

Quote Originally Posted by kura View Post
    Easy, Tick "yes" , and write NIL on 38A !

That was what I effectively did for my company, I had overpaid my provisional tax, and was due a refund as soon as I put my tax return in.

Or does IRD expect everyone to delay putting in their tax returns untill they come up with an appropriate disclosure form ?

For a tax that was effective since 01/04/07 it is a pretty poor effort by IRD.

PS: My company also receives non FDR foreign dividends (on which it has to make quarterly returns, and payments of Foreign Dividend Withholding Payments) Has the IRD updated their forms for the June quarter to reflect the reduced company tax rate of 30% ? Nope !
    It's a never-ending battle, isn't it Kura?!
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Guru

A link that maybe of use for FDR exempted shares.

http://www.sharesight.co.nz/tools/

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    My understanding is they haven't released the form yet. Expect an announcement shortly and a form within the month.
    What a nightmare! I rang IRD a few days ago (had to hold on, for ages) only to be eventually told that these forms "are not yet available" and to check again in a few weeks time! Just not good enough.
    So, I did my own "forms", as we are leaving for overseas shortly and I can't wait around. And, by using the "Comparative Value" method I discovered I had made an overall net loss on these investments for the year (not surprising) and I then carried "Nil" (you can't claim a net loss) forward to my calculation of other Overseas Income (the exempt stuff , i.e. that still attracts tax on the dividends received). I wrote as full an explanation as possible on the IR3 form.
    It took me the best part of a couple of days to prepare my return and my wife's. Am thinking of billing out my time to Michael Cullen.

Guru

And you a required to file by July 7th!

You would think a simple disclosure form could be designed by a high school student and posted on the website in about 30 minutes. Why it takes the infernal revenue department so long needs investigating.

I am sending my returns in this week and no disclosures attached. Stuff them. We are all criminals in their eyes anyway. Why disappoint them.

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
    (you can't claim a net loss)
    Might pay to check this. I do know that FIF losses carried forward from earlier years can now be offset against ordinary income - the FIF ringfencing rules were repealed with the introduction of the new scheme. I have been sitting on a fat loss for years that I've finally been able to claim - not everything the good Dr does is bad.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby_Fischer View Post
    Might pay to check this. I do know that FIF losses carried forward from earlier years can now be offset against ordinary income - the FIF ringfencing rules were repealed with the introduction of the new scheme. I have been sitting on a fat loss for years that I've finally been able to claim - not everything the good Dr does is bad.
    Bobby, I had 'heard' the same but haven't been able to track down the transitional FIF rules in writing. Do you have a reference?

TIA

Snoopy (also sitting on an old FIF scheme loss)
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Snoopy, I'm relying on the write-up on the new legislation in April 2007 TIB (http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/fil...-vol19-no3.pdf), specifically these paragraphs on page 40:

Removal of foreign investment fund loss
    ring-fencing rules (sections Dn 5, Dn 8,
    ie 4 and iG 5)

The previous ring-fencing rules in section DN 8 for
    foreign investment fund losses (other than foreign
    investment fund losses calculated under the branch
    equivalent method) have been repealed.

If a taxpayer has a ring-fenced foreign investment fund
    loss from the 006–07 or an earlier income year that has
    previously not been used, it will become deductible in
    2007–08 as foreign investment fund losses are no longer
    ring-fenced (other than those arising under the branch
    equivalent method).

Share Collector

For the record, IRD accepted my tax return as self-assessed with attached copy of my spreadsheet and covering letter.

I modified the front "summary" sheet from earlier versions to match the data boxes on the tax return which makes more sense.