sharetrader
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: SANford Chart

Guru

Well that could be a timely board appointment, with some logistics experience.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Expect may not be so much a sales issue.....more of a shipping/logistics problem. All exporters are suffering with delays, lack of capacity, lack of empty containers, price increases and the like.

Nothing is going on time, nothing arrives on time. And you are right, worst isn't over yet.

We got an email from a carrier earlier in the week, that for a certain route, there was a rate increase of $1,000 USD for general containers, $2,000 USD for reefers.

Why?? Because they can. And exporters have got almost no choice, with coldstores at capacity.

When I say problem, I should say complete mega-omni-clusterf***
    Good infor, thanks.

The Kid

Agree. Good appointment.

Half year results are out: https://www.nzx.com/announcements/372538

No big surprises (as per March forecast) - but indications that some green shoots are showing after the Covid winter; Demand and prices start to grow again (admittedly starting from a low base).

No divie, though.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Permanent Newbie

A company struggling to make a profit let alone pay shareholders a dividend. Hope the coolstores sold were surplus to requirements otherwise we are just seeing assets sold to keep things going. Stock on hand value largely unchanged since balance date.
    Operating cashflow down 37% on the same period 12 months earlier.

Maybe I am a glass half empty sort of a guy after all.

Mussels struggling, this was the focus of the previous CEO while selling quota.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    A company struggling to make a profit let alone pay shareholders a dividend. Hope the coolstores sold were surplus to requirements otherwise we are just seeing assets sold to keep things going. Stock on hand value largely unchanged since balance date.

Agree Aaron. Most of the half year profit is from surplus asset sales, very little from operations. Times are tough with COVID effects around the World but Sanford's issues are far beyond that. I hope the new CEO gets cracking. Lots to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Interesting that they report a 4% drop in inventory levels based on the products market value, while also suggesting there has been a change in stored commodities from salmon to mussels. I am going to roughly say salmon is at least double the price of mussels which would lead me to think that in pure tonnage, the inventory level in weight has increased significantly? NZ producers are struggling to find frozen storage space and as trade backs up the storage prices are going through the roof. Not only does your mussel lose value while sitting there deteriorating, but the cost to produce and store it is now doubling down on the shrinking margins.

Page 6 of the report states "We have no aged inventory concerns" but the export mussel trade is dead. The commodity value doesn't justify paying the high rates for air and sea freight so no overseas markets are buying them. This mussel business may become a problem in the near future.
    Last edited by porkandpuha; 21-05-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Chart signals starting to brighten up a bit: SP crossed the MA100 (after a long time below) and seems now to stick above, while RSI is still in sensible territory. Low trading volumes, though.

SANtrend.JPG

Early days, I know, but hey - maybe the world as we know it is not ending after all and people start to buy premium seafood again .
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 05-06-2021 at 02:06 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

San might have slightly better luck selling their salmon domestically going forward with NZK having difficulties with warm water once again. Probably better margins not having to airfreight to other countries. Hopefully mussels start performing again soon, keeping my eye on the monthly export statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    San might have slightly better luck selling their salmon domestically going forward with NZK having difficulties with warm water once again. Probably better margins not having to airfreight to other countries. Hopefully mussels start performing again soon, keeping my eye on the monthly export statistics.
    NZK also increasing the pricing on their customers. Possibly more overseas markets now buying from SAN and giving them a greater market share in the near future..