sharetrader
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SANford Chart

Oracle, with the benefit of hindsight I can "categorically" state that industry rationalisation was always going to happen. This was signalled when they tried to merge with Sealords. To my mind there is more to come, and when it does the cream will rise to the top.

The good news is that the BNZ should be in contact with me within the week to clarify (and release?) my call funds with Access Brokerage. Perhaps a fortnight or so too late to park them where I had intended, but at least they are homeward bound.

Regards JAMP
    NZX: MCH MFT RBD SAN SKX SPN VTX WRI
    Unlisted: BRK

So, did the Sanford chart predict today's "breakout"?
    And if not what's the point in doing these pointless charts?

MVT
    When T.A. signals are propitious I react. I don't try to predict and I believe that it's one of the tenets of effective T.A. (just as F.A.'ers who don't understand T.A. are reactive.[])

quote:Originally posted by Major von Tempsky

So, did the Sanford chart predict today's "breakout"?
    And if not what's the point in doing these pointless charts?
    MVT, I will attempt to answer,but only if you promise one thing: you try to be objective[].

TA is a tool, exactly like FA, to aid in a decision making process. TA can not predict future prices - neither can FA. I use FA and TA to stack the odds in my favour when trying to make a profit.

I mentioned on the 18/9/04 that SAN can move quite a lot on very little volume. There certain indicator signs, but nothing compelling to make me want to rush in. SAN is a stock I have no interest in.

Anyway, tell me, did your statement of financial performance, el nino weather patterns and cash flows predict todays 'breakout'? [?]

MVT - Why have you gone all quiet[?] If you are going to make haughty comments, and someone takes the time to respond, I would have thought that even you would have the decency to reply.

I obviously gave you more credibility than you deserve.

Advanced Member

MAJOR VON TEMPSKY, You said [did the charts predict todays rise in the share price]. The charts will never predict a rise like this happening, but fundamental inside information will. We live in a crooked world, the charts showed that something untoward was happening,and it did. FA at a distance would never spot it, unless you were close to the operation but TA did. Two announcements with the market reaction in advance,or to put it bluntly insider trading. Perhaps MAJOR you might see past the tea leaves off chartists. The herd starts to gallop before most of us hear the shot. When it comes down to straight out inside trading watch the charts. MACDUNK
    DISCL 60pcFA 40pcTa is what i do.

I have no interest in SAN so didn't notice any price rise ahead of the announcements. So, MacDunk and others, if you did notice something fishy (sorry, pun not intended) why haven't you raised the matter with NZX? A simple phone call or email will at least prompt some sort of response. I've done this a couple of times over things that bothered or puzzled me and each time I've received a prompt and courteous reply. It all helps to keep them on their toes, IMO.

MVT,

TA thinking disguised as FA : If a company has bad managers and doesn't make money, it is likelyto go bust. (You could illustrate this on a chart if you wanted to - management quality versus earnings or whatever - would it then be mysterious and require tea leaves for proper interpretation?)
    TA (one example): If a share price has fallen to a certain value but no further many times in the past it is likely to fall no further this time. If it does fall further this time (ie. breaks support)it is very likely to keep falling.
    Not a difficult concept to grasp really. This was Phaedrus' point in his original post for this thread.
    Manuia le aso

Advanced Member

LAWSO, Knowing we live in a stupid corrupt world suits me. I understand what happens and use it to my advantage. When a chart starts to react in an odd way i think wait for me and climb aboard. Incidentely i have a son in law that works for one of the companies mentioned and was informed a couple of weeks ago about likely outcome. When its all over the price will continue to drop. DISCLOSURE NIL SHARES HELD macdunk

Guru

Monday 8 November 2:16 PM

NZ's Sanford f'casts yr profit to rise 12-14 pct

WELLINGTON, Nov 8 (Reuters) - New Zealand fishing company Sanford Ltd. (NZSE: SAN) said on Monday it expected annual profit to rise up to 14 percent, despite a flat first half result.

"With the inclusion of contributions from asset sales, foreign exchange hedging gains and reasonable trading results in the second half of the year, it is expected that the final result will be approximately 12-14 percent ahead of the result for the 13-month period last year," the company said in a statement.

The company posted a net profit of NZ$47.3 million last year and a flat first half profit of NZ$23.7 million, as large foreign exchange gains helped to offset lower export sales.

Sanford, New Zealand's only publicly listed fishing company, would release its annual result after the market closes on Nov. 25.

Shares in Sanford, which changed its balance date last year, last traded up five cents at NZ$4.40.

In October, Sanford said it would pay NZ$137 million to purchase assets of privately owned Simunovich Fisheries.