sharetrader
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: SANford Chart

Veteran novice

Many restaurants will go to the wall, and if this drags on they will have very few customers even when the lock down is over. This is situation I like as generally buy with a Ten year time frame, and the cheaper it gets the better.
    Yes, many restaurants will go to the wall but many others will start up when this is all over. And fish dishes will be as popular as ever!

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    My understanding is probably pretty limited but with quota I understand you have to use it or lose it. I assume selling the boats and leasing the quota wasn't an option?
    No not at all a use it or lose it situation. Most Iwi for example always lease out their quotas. The boats had no value (or very little) on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No not at all a use it or lose it situation. Most Iwi for example always lease out their quotas. The boats had no value (or very little) on their own.
    My suspicion, though I have no direct information, is Sanford became happy and comfortable leasing their quota to the Koreans with their slave Asian crews.

Their response to kiwi-isation of deep water fisheries has been mixed.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Still learning about the business. Iceman reckons the vessels might have some issues so thought I might do a lay person check.

Hard to know who to compare it too but Sealord might fit the bill, slightly smaller revenue overall but seems a close competitor.

Both have about the same number of deep water vessels.

Sanford have an average age of 1989, Sealord have average of 1990 but that is heavily skewed by the two ukranian beasts from the 1970's. If I exclude the 2 oldest from both fleets then Sealord average age is 1996 vs Sanford 1991.

Would I be correct in assuming newer vessels are generally more efficient, need less crew and have less repairs required?

I realise it is expensive but perhaps they need to have a long term vessel renewal plan in place?

The brand new $70 Million Sealord one looks like a epic unit. Hopefully less injuries and a happier crew as well.
    https://www.sealord.com/nz/newsroom/...new-home-town/

Dont hold me to it but tables below.

Built Capacity cubic m
    Sealord FV OTAKOU 1989 130
    Sealord FV THOMAS HARRISON 1989 180
    Sealord FV AUKAHA 1997 390
    Sealord FV OCEAN DAWN 1991 560
    Sealord FV REHUA 1997 660
    Sealord FV WILL WATCH 1972 530
    Sealord FV TOKATU 2018 1300
    Sealord FV MERIDIAN-1 1991 1200
    Sealord FV PROFESOR MYKHAYLO ALEKSANDROV 1970 1200

vs Sanford

Built Capacity cubic m
    Sanford San Waitaki 1990 940
    Sanford San Enterprise 1990 940
    Sanford San Discovery 1992 940
    Sanford San Aspiring 2001 725
    Sanford San Aotea II 1993 515
    Sanford Albatross II 1984 35
    Sanford Christmas Creek 1981 25
    Sanford Drysdale 1986 35
    Sanford Venture K 1985 40

Saw a few photos from when I was looking up the details and I am no expert but the older ones are pretty terrible looking.

Dilettante

Good accurate summary Waikaka. Vessels built today according to owners of new vessels I have spoken to is that they are around 50-70% more efficient than 20 year old vessels, including huge reductions in emissions and much less cost per Value Per Unit Effort
    The last 4 vessels on your list for SAN are their scampi vessels that fish parts of the year in the Southern Ocean. This is not only stupid on these vessels but also very dangerous. SAN is planning an urgent replacement of them.
    The 2 above it are their toothfish vessels that are also up for replacements, at least one of them. They fish in an olympic (competitive) quota fishery in the Antarctic and are being left behind by newer and much better vessels from Norway and other countries.

But the big need for change is in the inshore fleet which is so old and outdated that it is not possible for SAN and the CEO to achieve the increased quality and freshness he is aiming for with this pathetic equipment. This is now holding back his plan called "focus on fresh", which in any case has now been held back by the huge change caused by COVID.
    Another side issue is that it has become impossible for SAN to hire good young people on their vessels. That will not happen until they are more up to date with good accommodation and crew comfort and constant high speed internet connections.
    The industry has seen the change this has made in both Iceland and Norway when they made a major upgrade to their fleet in the last 5-10 years, all of a sudden young people became interested to make this a career again.
    Last edited by iceman; 31-03-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Not a terrible briefing,

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SAN/351240/320303.pdf

I still cant find out how much of their trade goes to restaurants but hopefully most can be redirected to retail customers, without too much hit to margins.

Guru

"Sanford says $20m 'marine extract' facility will create 30 jobs in Marlborough"
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/117...rlborough?rm=m

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Good accurate summary Waikaka. Vessels built today according to owners of new vessels I have spoken to is that they are around 50-70% more efficient than 20 year old vessels, including huge reductions in emissions and much less cost per Value Per Unit Effort
    The last 4 vessels on your list for SAN are their scampi vessels that fish parts of the year in the Southern Ocean. This is not only stupid on these vessels but also very dangerous. SAN is planning an urgent replacement of them.
    The 2 above it are their toothfish vessels that are also up for replacements, at least one of them. They fish in an olympic (competitive) quota fishery in the Antarctic and are being left behind by newer and much better vessels from Norway and other countries.

But the big need for change is in the inshore fleet which is so old and outdated that it is not possible for SAN and the CEO to achieve the increased quality and freshness he is aiming for with this pathetic equipment. This is now holding back his plan called "focus on fresh", which in any case has now been held back by the huge change caused by COVID.
    Another side issue is that it has become impossible for SAN to hire good young people on their vessels. That will not happen until they are more up to date with good accommodation and crew comfort and constant high speed internet connections.
    The industry has seen the change this has made in both Iceland and Norway when they made a major upgrade to their fleet in the last 5-10 years, all of a sudden young people became interested to make this a career again.
    There have been some pretty good - informed comments in the section but I think its been a bit generous in terms of current management. The fleet is a mess, they have sold quota (only to find out they needed it and have had to lease it back at exorbitant premium) and are investing in a vertical integration program which they have no experience in.... great industry but lack of focus in terms of core business is going to hold them back.

lower profits and reduced dividend , wont be the only company reporting these type results
    one step ahead of the herd

From the SAN half year report;

"The projects we have underway in our diverse fishing division, both inshore and in the deep sea fleet are going well, but they are substantial undertakings requiring significant investment of capital, time and expertise and therefore require our patience as we tackle the move from commodity to added value, species by species."

Buenos días Iceman, would you care to comment?

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.