sharetrader
Page 21 of 107 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Dow

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Not aware of any macro news that could come out to protect that SP500 mark. We're going through it this week ... The question becomes - how far? - Gut says - not much. If it's large then opportunities will surface.
    ...interesting that since the top in 2007, markets have been falling steadily despite all the efforts of governments and Central banks to turn the deflationary tide. That points to the fact that governments and CB's have NO POWER at all to do anything about it despite the constant BLA-BLA Artist Brainwash of the system press to the contrary

...and the latest fall in the markets lead by the fall of banking shares points again to the fact that market wants the nationalization of insolvent to the core banks despite the CROOKS' view that the banks should stay private and should be helped out endlessly by the tax payer

...SO FAR THE MARKET WINS AND MOST LIKELY WILL CONTINUE TO WIN

Favoring nationalization:

Alan Greenspan
    Gordon Brown, UK PM
    Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd
    Senator Chuck Schumer
    Sen. Lindsey Graham
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
    Republicans (some)
    Joseph Stiglitz
    Paul Krugman
    Alan S. Blinder, Princeton
    Nassim Taleb
    Nouriel Roubini
    Greg Mankiw
    J. Bradford DeLong
    Elizabeth Warren, TARP Oversight Panel
    Dennis Gartman
    Chris Whalen
    Josh Rosner
    Jeff Matthews
    John Mauldin
    Jack McHugh
    Bill King
    Matthew Richardson
    Dylan Ratigan (CNBC, Daily Beast)
    Jesse Eisinger, Conde Nast Portfolio
    Martin Wolf, FT
    Aaron Task (Yahoo Tech Ticker)
    Paul Kedrosky (Infectious Greed, CNBC)
    Nicholas Kristof (New York Times)
    Mark Gongloff (WSJ)
    Richard Parker (Newsweek)
    Michael Hirsh (Newsweek)
    David Reilly (Bloomberg)
    Paul Vigna (Dow Jones)
    Henry Blodget (Silicon Alley)
    Willem Buiter (FT)
    Adam Posen (Peterson Institute for International Economics)
    Jeff Macke
    Todd Harrison
    Calculated Risk (Preprivatize the Banks)

Mark Thoma (Economistsview)
    Karl Denninger
    naked capitalism
    Eddy Elfenbein (Crossing Wall Street)
    Bronte Capital
    Aaron Krowne Mortgage Lender Implode-O-Meter
    Prieur du Plessis (investmentpostcards)
    Roger Ehrenberg, Information Arbitrage
    Felix Salmon
    Interfluidity (Nationalize Like Real Capitalists)
    Urban Digs

opposed to nationalization:

Ben Bernanke
    President Obama
    Tim Geithner
    Lawrence H. Summers
    Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank
    Republican Senator Jon Kyl
    George Soros
    Meredith Whitney, Oppenheimer
    Deroy Murdock (NRO)
    Larry Kudlow
    James Cramer
    Hale Stewart
    Tyler Cowen
    http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/

...if the bank insolvency problem and the CDS issues remain unresolved, the market will continue to provide the RIGHT ANSWERS...(see attachment)
    http://www.atlanticadvisors.com/uplo...ree-fallin.pdf

Kind Regards
    Last edited by ananda77; 22-02-2009 at 10:37 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEzmU7YSXJs

Soundtrack for a meltdown

will be playing in my iPod through 2010, possibly 2011-2012......it will really complement the mass civil disturbances sure to cascade from nation to nation in the next few years.

----------------------

dead canaries are littering the ground everwhere

Tin-foil Hatter

For those who follow the Dow Theory, Friday's close was of particular significance. The Dow has finally given a confirmation signal; both the Dow Industrial and Dow Transportation have simultaneously broken lows, which means that the major second down leg is coming.

Up until Friday, Dow Theorists were still hanging on bullish hopes - not from today on.
    God - Please give us just one more bubble....

Exclamation

A must to watch :

Inside the Meltdown.... 56 minutes...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meltdown/view/

cheers
    WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT !

"Never believe something is worthwhile if it compels you to break your promise"

Quote Originally Posted by patsy View Post
    For those who follow the Dow Theory, Friday's close was of particular significance. The Dow has finally given a confirmation signal; both the Dow Industrial and Dow Transportation have simultaneously broken lows, which means that the major second down leg is coming.

Up until Friday, Dow Theorists were still hanging on bullish hopes - not from today on.
    ...but was not confirmed by the Nasdaq nor the SPX 500 and trading distorted by option expiration; very critical junction this week;

-this morning:

-Dow testing support *7198 possible extension south to *7000
    -SPX 500 testing *750 possible extension south to *741/*725

...if this support does not hold, market goes lower

Trading Strategy: met target on SPX 500 and on the sideline

Kind Regards

Dow down again this morning.

This is getting very ugly. I cant see any light at the end of this tunnel.

Doc is very bearish.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

12 year lows, clear tone of capitulation. I'm on the cusp of being extremely bullish.

75%-80% cash, no debts of any sort and ready to go. Very scary environment though, confidence shot to bits and very hard to go against the herd.

However, as the currently deeply unpopular Mr Buffett says, you pay a very high price for a cheery consensus. We had an incredibly cheery consensus in 2006/2007 and, boy, has the price turned out high.

What about now, though?
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    12 year lows, clear tone of capitulation. I'm on the cusp of being extremely bullish.

75%-80% cash, no debts of any sort and ready to go. Very scary environment though, confidence shot to bits and very hard to go against the herd.

However, as the currently deeply unpopular Mr Buffett says, you pay a very high price for a cheery consensus. We had an incredibly cheery consensus in 2006/2007 and, boy, has the price turned out high.

What about now, though?
    Rob from Quantifiable edges also feels that way...

CBI Hits 7 For 1st Time Since November

I haven’t mentioned the Capitualtive Breadth Indicator (CBI) for a while. For those unfamiliar it is a proprietary method of measuring the amount of capitulation evident in the market. You may read the intro post here or the entire series here. Since the November lows it has been pretty much dormant except for a quick blip in January. It began to move up last week and at Friday’s close it hit 7. Long-time readers will recall that this is a level where I feel a decent bullish edge exists. Below is a chart of the CBI from the Quantifiable Edges members section.

(click to enlarge)

In the past I’ve demonstrated that it can be used as a market timing tool for swing trades. One “system” I’ve shown here on the blog is to purchase the S&P 500 when the CBI hits a certain level (7 being one of them) and then sell the S&P when it returns back to 3 or below.

Below is an updated performance report of the above “system” covering 1995-present.

I'll keep readers informed of significant changes in the CBI over the next several days until it returns to neutral.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post

What about now, though?
    Yup the final capitulation is what i'm waiting for too, as most people won't recognise the start of the new bull market, & whilst scared & out of the market will miss much of the early gains...

When everyone is bearish time to start buying "selective stocks"

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    Rob from Quantifiable edges also feels that way...

CBI Hits 7 For 1st Time Since November

I haven’t mentioned the Capitualtive Breadth Indicator (CBI) for a while. For those unfamiliar it is a proprietary method of measuring the amount of capitulation evident in the market. You may read the intro post here or the entire series here. Since the November lows it has been pretty much dormant except for a quick blip in January. It began to move up last week and at Friday’s close it hit 7. Long-time readers will recall that this is a level where I feel a decent bullish edge exists. Below is a chart of the CBI from the Quantifiable Edges members section.

(click to enlarge)

In the past I’ve demonstrated that it can be used as a market timing tool for swing trades. One “system” I’ve shown here on the blog is to purchase the S&P 500 when the CBI hits a certain level (7 being one of them) and then sell the S&P when it returns back to 3 or below.

Below is an updated performance report of the above “system” covering 1995-present.

I'll keep readers informed of significant changes in the CBI over the next several days until it returns to neutral.
    This joker has a different view .... says 'In 1931, after the Dow broke below the 1930 lows, it was virtually non-stop to the bottom apart from minor upward jerks every six months.' ... and that is where we are now

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Market-$pd20090224-PJV6S?OpenDocument&src=sph