sharetrader
Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1057

Thread: Dow

Veteran novice

Yes, Hoop, it's true that the two indices pretty much track each other and that the Dow has the historical data argument on its side. But the fact remains that one follows 30 stocks and the other 500. For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P.

I do appreciate your technical analysis - adds an important dimension to our understanding of the market.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, Hoop, it's true that the two indices pretty much track each other and that the Dow has the historical data argument on its side. But the fact remains that one follows 30 stocks and the other 500. For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P.

I do appreciate your technical analysis - adds an important dimension to our understanding of the market.

For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P
    .....Yeah sure, I do too, most of the "todays" stuff I do and read involves the S&P not the DOW...As most investors "live the moment" I would assume the S&P is their market of choice...and more companies in the index lessen any possible one company temporarily upsetting the indices...Mind you in saying that..Apple commands a large chunk of the S&P500 ...

Guru

Another record high. It just keeps on going. When will this Bull end? Might go for another 4 years if they get their "phenomenal tax plan" in the states.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    When will this Bull end?
    As stated before I would suspect the SP will reach about 2500 based on the fifth wave approximating the same distance as the first wave.
    Last edited by peat; 18-02-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Guru

20,500 Boom another all time high!! DOW

Love this chart from 'chart of the day'

Inflation adjsuted DOW

Just where it should be and long way to the next resistance level
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Guru

Default I couldn't resist the temptation..sorry

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Love this chart from 'chart of the day'

Inflation adjsuted DOW

Just where it should be and long way to the next resistance level
    Yep...and it hits resistance every 35 years and support every 50 years or so ... by 2035 the DOW should reach it's low of 7000 .... but hang on it should also be due to hit resistance too at 40,000...WOW that's a giant crash..eh
    Last edited by Hoop; 16-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.

At some point DOW should reach top in the current major uptrend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    At some point DOW should reach top in the current major uptrend.
    Wow 9th straight session record high... this just keeps on going.

Wow 9th straight session record high... this just keeps on going.
    12 straight up days - from twitter

@TheStalwart: Uh oh. Last time we had a streak this long was 1987. And we all know what happened that year. #KnowYourHistory https://t.co/jmcz5hpeLM
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Guru

12 straight up days - from twitter

@TheStalwart: Uh oh. Last time we had a streak this long was 1987. And we all know what happened that year. #KnowYourHistory https://t.co/jmcz5hpeLM
    No its different this time winner. you watch and see, it will be up tomorrow as well and that will be 13 straight record highs.
    Its just going to keep on going up.

No its different this time winner. you watch and see, it will be up tomorrow as well and that will be 13 straight record highs.
    Its just going to keep on going up.
    This 'wall of worry' is very high so a lot more climbing to do I reckon

No worries here ......though Aaron's wait for the bargains seems a forlorn wait

Guru

This 'wall of worry' is very high so a lot more climbing to do I reckon

No worries here ......though Aaron's wait for the bargains seems a forlorn wait
    I feel sorry for Aaron, he might learn that timing the market is pretty much impossible. But yep the wall of worry... could keep going for a while yet but keeping watch myself as things are looking a bit stretched.

Permanent Newbie

I feel sorry for Aaron, he might learn that timing the market is pretty much impossible. But yep the wall of worry... could keep going for a while yet but keeping watch myself as things are looking a bit stretched.
    I appreciate your pity.
    I am supposed to be coming up with an investing plan and starting to spend time looking at annual reports so that I might have an idea when a company is a bargain, when the crash finally happens ((not long to go now) although Warren Buffett doesn't share my pessimism but what does he know)
    As of today just procrastinating and falling further behind financially.
    Sorry to hear that Winner69 can't afford honey now that it is too expensive my woes pale into insignificance compared to the plight of the baby boomer generation.
    Last edited by Aaron; 28-02-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I appreciate your pity.
    I am supposed to be coming up with an investing plan and starting to spend time looking at annual reports so that I might have an idea when a company is a bargain, when the crash finally happens ((not long to go now) although Warren Buffett doesn't share my pessimism but what does he know)
    As of today just procrastinating and falling further behind financially.
    Aaron - you should at least dip your toes in , though no need to dive headfirst with ALL the swag. Smallish entries over a period of time will allow you to develop your investing skills without losing your shirt even if there is big bang.

I agree that values are stretched in general but there are always some interesting prospects to be found and if not true value then at least good growth possibilities.
    Pushpay would be my recommendation. Buy on dips.

(PS I know this comment is not relevant to the DOW)