sharetrader

View Poll Results: Which date suits you the best for the August meeting?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • August 16th

1 10.00%
  • August 30th

9 90.00%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Want me to set fire to the sign?
    Not sure you could get there quick enough once it goes up...

Will you have time to catch up while you're in town? We could do a prelim check on Foxglove and maybe drag Shasta out with us?

Hi there Strat, yes do feel a bit strange in NZ as a non drinker...sort of letting the side down almost. Anyway its difficult enough for me as a share trader when sober...It would be a disaster after a few beers. As a drinker of course, you have the added benefit of not only being able to set fire to the Wellywood sign, but also put out the fire soon afterward if second thoughts kick in(as long as you have taken enough on board). Enjoy your visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Hi Liz and Birmanboy.

Haha and our newish member Birmanboy is a great example. A non drinking AND non smoking Share Trader. I never knew such a fellow existed.

Hey Liz.Im in Wellywood this weekend. Want me to set fire to the sign?

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Also, comfortable venues get tricky to find away from watering holes.
    I got as far as checking with Pataka (Porirua) and discovered there are rooms for hire there for as little as $40 - $60/hr if we wanted to do some serious talk, although I'd probably have to think about how we could format something that people would turn up to. One of the problems with the "free" format is that there isn't a lot of commitment and the drop-out rate on the night is usually 30-50%.

Edit: Just checked, and Wellington Library can do even better with their Mezzanine Community Room - around $20/hr and basic kitchen facilities, so presumably could do coffee and nibbles.
    Last edited by Lizard; 24-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Hi Lizard, thanks for taking an active interest in this. The library sounds good to me as a central spot. As a newish investor my level of understanding and comprehension would probably be too simplistic for your experienced members so maybe it would be a thought to say split the meeting into two sections with the gurus having say the first hour and then them hiking off for refreshments. Then some charitable gurus hanging around to answer enquiries, give insight share tips etc to the newer less experienced folk. I would certainly be keen and happy to chip in with either an entry/door charge or whatever seems right. As I mentioned I do think that there is an untapped market of investors who "settle" for a bank deposit because its safe and they dont know any other option. My limited investments have been above the bank deposit rate and I have done that with very limited knowledge so I can see the potential there not only for myself but others.
    I got as far as checking with Pataka (Porirua) and discovered there are rooms for hire there for as little as $40 - $60/hr if we wanted to do some serious talk, although I'd probably have to think about how we could format something that people would turn up to. One of the problems with the "free" format is that there isn't a lot of commitment and the drop-out rate on the night is usually 30-50%.

Edit: Just checked, and Wellington Library can do even better with their Mezzanine Community Room - around $20/hr and basic kitchen facilities, so presumably could do coffee and nibbles.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Hi there Strat, yes do feel a bit strange in NZ as a non drinker...sort of letting the side down almost. Anyway its difficult enough for me as a share trader when sober...It would be a disaster after a few beers. As a drinker of course, you have the added benefit of not only being able to set fire to the Wellywood sign, but also put out the fire soon afterward if second thoughts kick in(as long as you have taken enough on board). Enjoy your visit.
    Good on ya for steering away from the herd. As for the sign. More likely, Id roll down the hill and break my neck while trying to get the Zippo out of my pocket.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Hi Lizard, thanks for taking an active interest in this. The library sounds good to me as a central spot. As a newish investor my level of understanding and comprehension would probably be too simplistic for your experienced members so maybe it would be a thought to say split the meeting into two sections with the gurus having say the first hour and then them hiking off for refreshments. Then some charitable gurus hanging around to answer enquiries, give insight share tips etc to the newer less experienced folk. I would certainly be keen and happy to chip in with either an entry/door charge or whatever seems right. As I mentioned I do think that there is an untapped market of investors who "settle" for a bank deposit because its safe and they dont know any other option. My limited investments have been above the bank deposit rate and I have done that with very limited knowledge so I can see the potential there not only for myself but others.
    Hi Birmanboy,
    I'd be quite happy to organise such an event if I thought enough people would turn up to make it worthwhile. However, given the nature of ShareTrader, I suspect it would be lucky to get more than 4 or 5 turn up - and then there would be such differences in areas of interest that most would sigh that the content had been of little interest. Anyway, I've put a thread/poll up to test the theory.

The reality is that ShareTrader itself is a virtual form of that meeting that you are looking for - it allows the discussion to take place between unlimited participants over unlimited time and yet allows each participant to pursue their own interests and talk over each other. Maybe that is somewhat dissatisfying at times when no answers are obtained to seemingly important questions, but the reality is that a limited number of people in a physical "event" are likely to do even worse.

Hi Lizard, yes I understand. Needs a near perfect allignment of too many variables and perhaps the forum is best option. If the situation does allign I am interested as a starter but will not hold my breath. If interest develops then so be it. Thanks again.
    Hi Birmanboy,
    I'd be quite happy to organise such an event if I thought enough people would turn up to make it worthwhile. However, given the nature of ShareTrader, I suspect it would be lucky to get more than 4 or 5 turn up - and then there would be such differences in areas of interest that most would sigh that the content had been of little interest. Anyway, I've put a thread/poll up to test the theory.

The reality is that ShareTrader itself is a virtual form of that meeting that you are looking for - it allows the discussion to take place between unlimited participants over unlimited time and yet allows each participant to pursue their own interests and talk over each other. Maybe that is somewhat dissatisfying at times when no answers are obtained to seemingly important questions, but the reality is that a limited number of people in a physical "event" are likely to do even worse.