sharetrader
Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast
    Guru

Default Airlines r a great public service, endorsed by Skol.

Well Skol ,u had your opportunity.

I will give #1 of a lot of reasons why not to invest in airlines.

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNjZn...eature=related
    Last edited by tricha; 16-10-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Guru

Question I hope u have got some grapes Skol

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post
    Are you digging yourself a bunker and stockin up down there on the west coast too Tricha?

Doesnt that fella in Texas realize where he lives. Nobody else will prepare and when the **** does hit the fan and the last can of beans runs out they will come with guns and take it all off him.
    Last edited by STRAT; 27-07-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Hi tricha,

Take a look at American airlines (AMR) on the NYSE. Doubled in two days!
    US Airways (LCC) a two and a half bagger in 5 days!

The point is that airlines are crap investments but great pump and dump candidates when oil corrects. Someone has made serious money in the last week...
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

AMR,
    ticker code is same as your user name...
    I had alook at the chart on AMR (american Airlines) and the SP was higher in May than it is now... 25bucks in Sept 07, now $8.53...
    gaining back some major losses perhaps...
    As for LLC, the SP was two times higher in May than now... $30 in Sept 07, now 4.54...
    Agreed, Airlines are poor investing stocks... anyone who suggests otherwise should be ripped apart by a mob of angry beasts in the Pit of Doom...
    Yes perhaps someone has made some serious money over the last week, what about the other 99.9% of investors...
    Skol, Sell your positions mate...
    stick to toy planes....
    errrrooooommmmnnnnnn....

.^sc
    Nakamoto means of Central origin ...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Are you digging yourself a bunker and stockin up down there on the west coast too Tricha?

Doesnt that fella in Texas realize where he lives. Nobody else will prepare and when the **** does hit the fan and the last can of beans runs out they will come with guns and take it all off him.
    Well he's got plenty of guns Strat I thought he would have a horse, but I guess with all that alchohol he will still be able to drive. Nah I have not got the bunker, but hey, 30 grape vines so that could be fun.

Banned

Well Skol ,u had your opportunity.

I will give #1 of a lot of reasons why not to invest in airlines.

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNjZn...eature=related
    I'm very busy for the next 36hrs Tricha,(airline business booming) but when I get a moment we will examine the relative performance of oil vs. airline shares since the date Bermuda challenged me to a contest of his worst oiler vs. QAN. Not looking good for Bermuda at the moment. Cheers
    Last edited by Skol; 27-07-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Well he's got plenty of guns Strat I thought he would have a horse, but I guess with all that alchohol he will still be able to drive. Nah I have not got the bunker, but hey, 30 grape vines so that could be fun.
    Id choose a good southern wine over Texas moonshine any day of the week

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Id choose a good southern wine over Texas moonshine any day of the week
    Yeah but the beauty of moonshine is u can run your car on it Strat

Sorry Skol, I would have prefered that u started this thread. Start another one if u would like, they r not my cup of tea.

11:27 AM, 28 Jul 2008

Stephen Bartholomeusz
    Qantas' rising star

Given the context in which it is now operating, the Qantas board’s decision to appoint Jetstar’s chief executive, Alan Joyce, to succeed Geoff Dixon, is perhaps something of a surprise.

The personable Irishman was one of three very strong internal contenders for the job. The others were John Borghetti, who has very successfully managed the Qantas business, and chief financial officer Peter Gregg.

Either Borghetti or Gregg would have been seen as a safe pair of hands during a very turbulent and threatening period in the history of the Qantas group, with record oil prices threatening the viability of the entire industry and forcing Qantas and its global peers to take dramatic steps to enhance their ability to survive.

Only this month Dixon announced another severe reduction in capacity and 1500 job losses as Qantas seeks to mitigate the impact of the oil price and a slowing global and domestic economy.

The choice of Dixon’s successor was always going to be a delicate one given that, despite Dixon’s success in positioning Qantas as one of the most profitable and dynamic of the international carriers during his seven years at the helm, the environment in which the airline is operating remains in a challenging state of flux.

Joyce, 42, is an ebullient and entrepreneurial character who has done a terrific job of launching Jetstar, positioning it as the lowest-cost domestic carrier and building the fledgling outlines of an international network. He joined Qantas from Aer Lingus in 2003.

Jetstar has been the beneficiary of Dixon’s strategy of shifting lower-margin routes from the Qantas brands to the lower-cost carrier, but Joyce has managed that shift in capacity and volume seamlessly and the brand has won accolades within the international aviation community.

The additional challenge confronting him when he takes over from Dixon in November after the Qantas annual general meeting will be not only retaining Borghetti and Gregg but maintaining what has been a very stable and respected senior executive team, at a point where stability and experience is valuable.

The decision to appoint Joyce underscores what was already evident. The Qantas board sees Jetstar and its low-cost platform as the future of the Qantas group. The Qantas brand will remain, but it appears it will increasingly be targeted to higher-margin routes that attract business customers.

Given the increasing emphasis on Jetstar, it makes sense to appoint a CEO with Joyce’s background and experience in, not just the Jetstar brand and strategies, but low-cost carriers more generally.

The Qantas board may also feel that Joyce, who conveys an impression of, if not hyperactivity, then considerable energy, might be best suited to oversee a period of significant and rapid structural change in the group.

Qantas is preparing for the float of its frequent flyer program, it has plans for the future spin-outs of its freight interests and, if market conditions do improve, a vehicle that would own its fleet and leases.

When Dixon announced the capacity cuts earlier this month, Qantas’ international network was cut while Jetstar’s is likely to grow by 15 per cent-plus – the conditions are accelerating and amplifying the strategy of displacing Qantas with the Jetstar brand on the more marginal routes, both the domestic and, increasingly, the international routes.

The Qantas board and its relatively new chairman Leigh Clifford (he became chairman last November) have handled a difficult and potentially destabilising process well. It was good governance that the succession process was left to Clifford, the incoming chairman, rather than Margaret Jackson, the outgoing chairman.

Jackson and Dixon, in particular, deserve credit for ensuring there were a number of high-calibre internal candidates to choose from. There was never any real likelihood that Qantas would bring someone in from outside the group.

Dixon, of course, will go down in Qantas’ history as a pivotal figure. He has led the airline through a succession of threats and challenges, reinventing it continuously to maintain its reputation as one of the world’s best and most profitable carriers.

The launch of Jetstar and the continuing and substantial shift of Qantas volume onto a separately-branded lower-cost platform was, given the failure of similar attempts offshore, a remarkable achievement.

Dixon might be handing Qantas over to Joyce at one of the most difficult moments in the industry’s history – which is saying something, given the roller-coaster nature of the industry’s fortunes – but he will hand it over in pretty good shape, relative to its competitors.

Share This Story

Guru

Skol here is another bargain for u, u believe oil is going to crash. put your money where your mouth is

Ryanair warns of loss next year

Ryanair will maintain "aggressive pricing" to lure passengers.

Ryanair has warned it could make an annual loss of up to 60 million euros (£47.4m) if oil prices stayed high and it continued cutting fares.
    The budget carrier said net profits in the three months to the end of June had fallen by 85% to 21m euros - below analysts expectations.
    And it added that it was yet to fully hedge the price it paid for oil.
    Ryanair's downbeat predictions saw its shares fall 15% while British Airways slipped back 4.7% and Easyjet lost 10%.
    Oil issues
    The soaring price of jet fuel, combined with customers cutting back on flying, has seen many airlines struggle.
    The outlook for the remainder of the fiscal year, which is entirely dependent on fares and fuel prices, remains poor

Michael O'Leary
    Chief executive, Ryanair

Check Ryanair shares

Chief executive Michael O'Leary said that Ryanair expected to break even at best in the year to March 2009, although he warned the company could lose up to 60m euros.
    This compares with a profit of 480.9m euros in the previous year.
    Ryanair's fuel bill now represents almost 50% of its operating costs, compared with 36% last year.
    Oil hit $147 a barrel earlier this month - though recently it has fallen back to close to $130.
    The airline said that the recent fall in prices had been used to hedge 90% of its fuel needs for September at $129 per barrel and 80% for the third quarter at $124 per barrel.
    However it was still liable for the full cost of oil in the fourth quarter.
    'Poor outlook'
    Full fares were likely to fall by 5% as it battled for customers amid plunging confidence, it added.
    "The outlook for the remainder of the fiscal year, which is entirely dependent on fares and fuel prices, remains poor," Mr O'Leary said.
    He said it would look to maintain "aggressive pricing" in order to maintain high plane usage and would avoid fuel surcharges. Earlier this month, Ryanair said it would cut about 250 flights from Stansted this winter as it tries to offset the increased oil prices. And its rival Easyjet has said that it will cut flights over the winter to offset a challenging economic climate and the high fuel prices that have dented profit growth.