sharetrader
Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd Crude View Post
    AMR,
    ticker code is same as your user name...
    I had alook at the chart on AMR (american Airlines) and the SP was higher in May than it is now... 25bucks in Sept 07, now $8.53...
    gaining back some major losses perhaps...
    As for LLC, the SP was two times higher in May than now... $30 in Sept 07, now 4.54...
    Agreed, Airlines are poor investing stocks... anyone who suggests otherwise should be ripped apart by a mob of angry beasts in the Pit of Doom...
    Yes perhaps someone has made some serious money over the last week, what about the other 99.9% of investors...
    Skol, Sell your positions mate...
    stick to toy planes....
    errrrooooommmmnnnnnn....

.^sc
    Hi Shrewd,
    Yes I deliberately chose AMR's ticker name as my username, I picked up the name while playing a stockmarket game (Wall$treet raider). I made a Buffett-like fortune by acquiring AMR after the US declared war on Iran and detonated a warhead in Tehran, and then selling out after the US flooded the world with cheap oil in the aftermath.

But yes, airlines are a **** investment in RL. As an industry they lose money half the time. It doesn't mean you can't take advantage of uptrends in the share price though and then dump them quickly.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Banned

Dear Readers,

Tricha an oil bull, with 100% invested in oil and no cash described me as having 'serious rocks in my head' (on or about 16 July) on this forum for suggesting airlines as an investment. Consequently he decided to start this thread to humiliate me for making such an idiotic suggestion .I never said you had to own them forever.

Here are the relative performance of Trichas liquid gold oil shares he says he owns vs. 3 airline shares from 16/7 to 28/7.

Trichas oil shares:

AZA -13%

COE -4.5%

NZO -12.6%

OEL -10.6%

3 Airline Shares

QAN +8.2%

AIR +13.6%

VBA +15%

Readers can decide for themselves which has been the better investment and with the oil price imploding my guess is Tricha's fortunes won't be turning around any time soon.

Might be time for a mayday call to Matt (Nostradamus) Simmons to re-schedule armageddon
    Last edited by Skol; 29-07-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post
    Yeah but the beauty of moonshine is u can run your car on it Strat
    Yeah but who needs a car when you have a dirty big bunker, oops strike that, I mean a dirty big wine cellar

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Yeah but who needs a car when you have a dirty big bunker, oops strike that, I mean a dirty big wine cellar
    Well, why not have both,

Get pissed on the wine and then go driving in your alchohol induced vehicle.

The beauty of it the cops will be driving around on horses.

Oh and Strat, I've just taken a leaf out of your book.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post

Oh and Strat, I've just taken a leaf out of your book.
    Really Tricha?

Which page?
    for that matter which book?

Guru

Hmm, fuel = a bad day out for Skols airlines, the penny has dropped.

Soaring fuel bill hits BA profits

BA's fuel bill is about £8m per day

British Airways has blamed a doubling of fuel costs for a sharp profits fall, saying the airline industry faced the "worst trading environment ever".
    The carrier made pre-tax profit of £37m ($73.3m) in the three months to the end of June compared with £298m a year earlier - an 88% drop.
    It also said it would cut 3% of flights this winter to reduce overheads.
    Earlier this week BA announced that it was in merger talks with Spanish airline Iberia.
    'Unprecedented' prices
    BA said its fuel bill was expected to be £3bn in the year to the end of March - the equivalent of £8m per day.
    However, it insisted it was "well prepared" with a focus on controlling costs.
    "We are in the worst trading environment the industry has ever faced," said BA chief executive Willie Walsh.
    "The combination of unprecedented oil prices, economic slowdown and weaker consumer confidence has led to substantially lower first quarter profits."
    He added that the airline had managed to hedge some of its fuel costs in the quarter which "mitigated the impact" of rising bills, although they still rose by 49%.
    The reduction in flights over winter would not "compromise its network", BA said.
    The airline added that the proposed merger with Iberia would take months to finalise.
    The deal is being seen as an attractive proposition for BA as it would allow it to reduce costs.
    Terminal Five
    The results are the first full quarter to include operations at Heathrow Airport's Terminal Five - used exclusively by BA.
    BA said that more than six million passengers had gone through the terminal since 27 March and that it was going "from strength to strength". When Terminal Five opened, problems with its operations led to hundreds of flights being cancelled and the loss of thousands of bags. The embarrassment resulted in some executives leaving both BA and the Heathrow operator, BAA.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Banned

Might be bad in Europe tricha but OK here. Some of these aircraft are struggling to get off the ground they're so full. I know, I've seen it. Kiwis and Ockers are not keen to give up the travel despite the financial sky falling in.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Dear Readers,

Tricha an oil bull, with 100% invested in oil and no cash described me as having 'serious rocks in my head' (on or about 16 July) on this forum for suggesting airlines as an investment. Consequently he decided to start this thread to humiliate me for making such an idiotic suggestion .I never said you had to own them forever.

Here are the relative performance of Trichas liquid gold oil shares he says he owns vs. 3 airline shares from 16/7 to 28/7.

Trichas oil shares:

AZA -13%

COE -4.5%

NZO -12.6%

OEL -10.6%

3 Airline Shares

QAN +8.2%

AIR +13.6%

VBA +15%

Readers can decide for themselves which has been the better investment and with the oil price imploding my guess is Tricha's fortunes won't be turning around any time soon.

Might be time for a mayday call to Matt (Nostradamus) Simmons to re-schedule armageddon
    Gold for Skol in the 100m sprint.

I wont be counting Bermuda out in the marathon though

or the 800m for that matter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Gold for Skol in the 100m sprint.

I wont be counting Bermuda out in the marathon though

or the 800m for that matter
    Here are Bermuda's picks, from 16/7

VPE -16%
    NZO -7.5%
    PRC -5%
    BOW -5%
    TEX -24%

Airlines

AIR +14%
    QAN +7%
    VBA +16%

Default Virgin blue-->a virgin of share price performance..

Virgin Blue share price graph-
    (still a virgin performance wise)...
    http://www.stocknessmonster.com/char.../1y/line/30/0/

AIR--->
    performance----> "Fresh Air" New Zealand
    http://www.stocknessmonster.com/char.../1y/line/30/0/

Quantas QAN- Share price graphhttp://www.stocknessmonster.com/char.../1y/line/30/0/

Skol, yourve gone and bumped your head... check these charts out... QAN is not far off 10 year lows... Virgin 'performance' only just recently bounced off all time lows... Hey Skol, add my two picks to your list...
    EPR at 5.3cents... and CUE at 21cents...
    If I was locked in and had to buy a bunch of airlines, I chop my arm off to break a contract...
    You see buddy... In ten years I'd buy a robotic arm... compare that to having airlines and no flash arm just the one ive already got....
    Id go out in a blaze of glory with a chainsaw.... hahaha....

.^sc
    Nakamoto means of Central origin ...