sharetrader
Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post
    Good for air, good for this govt backed ........., but us the consumer it suks, we will pay for it, in a poorer service and higher costs.
    There is still competiton and AIR has won out. The allusion to poor service at AIR is quite incorrect. AIR is well run, profitable and nothing like what it was 10 years ago. Service is good too compared with other carriers.
    How long since you travelled on AIR anyway tricha, or are you hunkering down at Mapua getting ready for the peak oil cataclysm, which, like hyperinflation, never seems to arrive.

Veteran novice

I agree, Skol. AIR is a very well run airline as far as I can tell from my fairly frequent use of their domestic services.

It's just that I don't rate them, or any other airline for that matter, as a suitable investment - for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    There is still competiton and AIR has won out. The allusion to poor service at AIR is quite incorrect. AIR is well run, profitable and nothing like what it was 10 years ago. Service is good too compared with other carriers.
    How long since you travelled on AIR anyway tricha, or are you hunkering down at Mapua getting ready for the peak oil cataclysm, which, like hyperinflation, never seems to arrive.
    Tricha ...while I dont like govt involvement with any private business activities, I suspect the NZG is quite happy to coin in there divies and see there investment in AIR skyrocket. As a very frequent traveller from a regional airport I do not feel like I am being screwed or that the service sucks, quite the opposite. I recently flew AIR to the US and we had the CEO on board who was mingling with the staff and passengers in a very non intrusive way and chatting with passengers.

NOTE... I do not own any AIR shares but hold them in them in very high regard as a passenger. Go fly some of the US domestic/International carriers and you will know "how it suks for the consumer"

Cool Don't you love Michael O'Leary!

This isn't really to do with investment, more of a read and laugh. It does have some interesting points in it however....

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...JRpOHIM&pos=14

Banned

I would say there's a broad recovery underway in the airline industry, insiders have told me that there is huge demand for air freight, the first taxi off the rank in a recovery, something I've noticed myself, and that forward seat bookings are looking very good indeed.

Yeah prices certainly seem to be up. Girlfriend booked her flights home to Ireland the other day and was twice as expensive as it would have been two years back in the midst of the GFC. Have you seen these nifty wee things by google? It is only representative of the US, however. Still interesting though.

Banned

tricha,
    The VBA train has left the station, hope you're on board. LOL
    Crossed 200 day MA, check out the volume for the last week or so.
    Last edited by Skol; 08-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    tricha,
    The VBA train has left the station, hope you're on board. LOL
    Crossed 200 day MA, check out the volume for the last week or so.
    WELL done Skol, u have picked it right.

21 September 2010 Last updated at 11:01 GMT

World's airlines to make $8.9bn profit, Iata says

The world's airlines are expected to post a profit of $8.9bn (£5.7bn) this year, an industry body has said, in a sharp upgrade of its previous forecast.
    The International Air Transport Association (Iata) said the industry recovery had been "stronger and faster than anyone predicted".
    In June, it had predicted a much smaller profit of $2.5bn. In March, it had expected a loss of $2.8bn.
    Iata said increasing demand and stable costs were driving the recovery.
    However, Iata chief executive Giovanni Bisignani warned that there was still uncertainty surrounding the strength of the recovery.
    "The $8.9bn profit that we are projecting will start to recoup the nearly $50bn lost over the previous decade. But a reality check is in order," he said.
    "There are lingering doubts about how long this cyclical upturn will last."
    But Iata also said that Europe still "lags in the red".
    Europe is the only region the organisation still expects to make a loss this year.
    However, it now expects a smaller loss of $1.3bn, compared with June's forecast of $2.8bn.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Legend

Here's that nett airline $50 billion loss figure again: and some of the reasons behind it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10707657

Banned

I've already read that today EZ. Don't worry yourself about the airline industry, it's in good health, I've been in it since 1969 and never seen it better.

Long may it last.

The joke in the link is wrong, it goes like this;
    You know how to make a small fortune in aviation? Start off with a big one.
    Last edited by Skol; 21-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.