sharetrader
Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    a couple of issues here , how can a massive plane disappear and they don't know where to look. If I go cycling my free APP pings a GPS location every 5 seconds. Surely these planes could be doing the same to a satellite, therefore reducing the search area by thousands of kilometres. As for the passports being used, cancelled 2 years previously ...the mind boggles that all the computers customs etc use aren't linked to a central database to raise a flag ....
    Yes,I thought they also had something similar that kept in almost constant contact(??)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    a couple of issues here , how can a massive plane disappear and they don't know where to look. If I go cycling my free APP pings a GPS location every 5 seconds. Surely these planes could be doing the same to a satellite, therefore reducing the search area by thousands of kilometres. As for the passports being used, cancelled 2 years previously ...the mind boggles that all the computers customs etc use aren't linked to a central database to raise a flag ....
    Yes,I thought they also had something similar that kept in almost constant contact(??)

Guru

I read some article saying that some of the passengers cell phones are still logged on to the net (it was a pretty ''out there'' article---but still...).................................Well,tha ts what I read...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Very strange the whole business, modern aircraft have datalink (ATC satellite comms)and ACARS, a system between its company and the aircraft, engine monitoring, a transponder to identify it, in the event anything untoward happens the aircraft automatically notifies the company. In the event of a colossal electrical failure there is still battery power for a short period.
    Last edited by Skol; 12-03-2014 at 11:37 AM.

The latest I saw was that the aircraft had altered direction of course & was flying at very low altitude, as if they were trying to avoid radar? Not sure if that's possible in a passenger jet & maybe that's what they found at, i.e. that it couldn't be flown that low without a mishap.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Apparently they had the type of transponder that is automatic which rules out pilot error in terms of the manual type

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Apparently they had the type of transponder that is automatic which rules out pilot error in terms of the manual type
    You can switch them off but to disable ACARS, generally you'd have to pull the circuit breaker.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    The latest I saw was that the aircraft had altered direction of course & was flying at very low altitude, as if they were trying to avoid radar? Not sure if that's possible in a passenger jet & maybe that's what they found at, i.e. that it couldn't be flown that low without a mishap.
    I think that would point more to the pilots responding to something(like a system alert[that could have been faulty]) and getting so involved that they lose track of whats really happening-which is what happened on one of the other crashes

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I think that would point more to the pilots responding to something(like a system alert[that could have been faulty]) and getting so involved that they lose track of whats really happening-which is what happened on one of the other crashes

Banned

A crash that is high impact leaves a trail of (floating) wreckage, probably a satellite/VHF beacon transmitting as well. Interesting though, the conspiracy theorists will be out in force, but the aircraft will be found.
    Last edited by Skol; 12-03-2014 at 01:10 PM.