sharetrader

Threaded View

percy

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    A similar situation to the above. I have a small loss from Forex trading, plus a few expenses related to setting up, 2nd hand computer, membership fess etc... for the 2010. Has anyone returned a forex loss before, and what is the likely IRD reaction?

Also I have been studying taxation as part of my diploma, and have come across the very grey area of share trading in relation to assessable income. Does anyone have any experience or know just what level of activity the IRD goes from it being 'not business' to being 'business'. Obviously buying and selling one or two shares a year won't interest them, but what about 10, or 20? Bearing in mind that I am talking from the viewpoint of a person who works full-time and does a bit of share-trading in their spare time. I know that if a persons full-time activity is share-trading then it is a business - it is when a persons full time income activity is something else (Say a Job) that things get tricky.

Cheers
    Razor
    I would think if you claim losses and expenses then you will have to share profits with them.
    Only buying a few shares a year,with the view of starting your on savings plan I would think you are in the clear.
    Being awere of the problems of tax as a trader,may make us all a little bit more selective of the shares we buy.
    A friend of mine has a business,and any shares he buys to trade he buys in the business's name,while the long term holds he buys in his own name.
    Last edited by percy; 15-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.