sharetrader

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You doing well mate and Ryman making you rich

My investing approach is different to yours. I take an 'active investor' with one of the key drivers being don't lose your money - and that means don't give back what the market giveth / lock in most of the profits or whatever you want to call it. I would have hated seeing 50% of what I had disappear over 2 years in 2007/2008 for instance ...
    Hi Winner, & thanks for the chart.

Your investing approach is a bit different to mine for sure…and yes, it was very uncomfortable to see so many shares I'd bought for circa $2.10 in late 2007 worth only $1.30 by late 2008 (a 42% drop all up). But I was convinced that $2.10 in late 2007 was still a good price given the company's fundamentals, so as the price dropped, and dropped, .. and dropped, all it meant was I had to find more capital to buy more and more RYM at even better bargains... with the side benefit of lowering my average RYM buy price.

Given the situation I was in, I don't know if I could have followed your approach even if I wanted to… I had already put my stake in the ground at $2.10 and I couldn't bear to sell at a loss in late 2008 when RYM's fundamentals looked so good.

But here's the funny thing…if with hindsight, I had followed your approach (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it), I would have held off buying until late 2008, but I know I wouldn't have bought anywhere near the volume as I did via the circumstances I described above. I couldn't have ever jumped in (at least back then) with such a large volume in comparatively such a short time frame. The upshot being, that in %age terms I would have done a lot better had I followed your approach for sure, but in dollar terms I don't think I would have made 1/4, or at least 1/2 as much.

…… But I have learnt a lot since then. If history repeated itself, who knows?
    Last edited by Vaygor1; 22-11-2015 at 12:26 PM.