sharetrader
Page 322 of 465 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332372422 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 4647

My argument is that the dividend yield is almost irrelevant and inconsequential when comparing these two companies and I have demonstrated their very low unimputed yield is very similar which is highly supportive of my contention. If you want to find a graph that compares their gross SP performance to validate your point of view, please by all means feel free to do so and post it on here.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    Me thinks the 5/1 split was at about $11.30.
    So at that point I pretty much had a 10 bagger.

After split it must have been $2.26

After that my math doesnt cope

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    My argument is that the dividend yield is almost irrelevant and inconsequential when comparing these two companies
    Surely div yield is one way we make our money so should be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Surely div yield is one way we make our money so should be taken into account.
    My point is the dividend yield is ostensibly the same at present for these two companies so the graph I presented recently comparing the SP performance of the two over the last 3 years would not materially change if it included dividends received. Anyone else like to find and post a gross SP graph inclusive of dividends is very welcome to post their own image

Maybe another split coming in the foreseeable future ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-11-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Just loving today. closing matches coming in at $10.71.

22,000 @$11.00 desperate for the action.

To finish at $10.35. CAnt complain about that.
    Last edited by minimoke; 27-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Veteran novice

I hope not. The "scarcity value" of a higher shareprice/smaller number of shares will do more for the shareprice than the greater marketability which is usually claimed would result from a split . Just IMO.

Guru

NZX website says these are the following 52 week returns:
    RYM 52 Week Change: $1.426 / 15.13%
    ARV 52 Week Change: $0.053 / 4.55%
    MET 52 Week Change: $0.230 / 4.11%
    SUM 52 Week Change: $0.020 / 0.39%

sum coming dead last while ryman out in front by a reasonable margin... what is going on? even the original dog beat it for the 3rd, I think, year running
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 27-11-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    NZX website says these are the following 52 week returns:
    RYM 52 Week Change: $1.426 / 15.13%
    ARV 52 Week Change: $0.053 / 4.55%
    MET 52 Week Change: $0.230 / 4.11%
    SUM 52 Week Change: $0.020 / 0.39%

sum coming dead last while ryman out in front my a resonable margin... what is going on? even the original dog beat it for the 3rd, I think, year running
    The title of a favourite Tina Turner song will give you the answer to that question.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    My point is the dividend yield is ostensibly the same at present for these two companies so the graph I presented recently comparing the SP performance of the two over the last 3 years would not materially change if it included dividends received. Anyone else like to find and post a gross SP graph inclusive of dividends is very welcome to post their own image

I think we get your points Roger, but its not relevant to the illustration given about the % difference between RYM and SUM of the total returns. It proves nothing to produce a chart that proves the numbers that have already been posted, even if such a chart was available, nor is deflecting the onus on someone else to produce a chart which does not obviate you from admitting your arguments are irrelevant to the point made by the poster.

Just say, the poster is correct in their analysis (or Sharesights' reporting) that in TOTO RYM outperformed SUM over the period.

This discussion has become something of a circus. Without wishing to overstate the completely obvious the relative SP performance will change depending upon the timeframe selected and to a very minor extent will change depending upon whether one is talking returns inclusive or exclusive of dividends. Three and a half years ago I correctly called RYM's SP as overvalued and before today's jump in that timeframe it has done very little in terms of share price appreciation $8.50 to $9.80 a gain of just 15.3% in 3.5 years has well and truly underperformed the market. I am more than happy to have sat out this period of underperformance and happy with my past analysis of this stock and have done very well holding it in periods of time when it was under priced and fairly priced. I'm also 100% comfortable going forward with a fulsome allocation to SUM and none to RYM at this stage because looking forward I have SUM on an underlying PE of 14.2 based on today's closing price and RYM on 25.5. SUM has been growing earnings on average at close to triple the rate RYM has and I expect SUM to continue to outperform RYM in terms of capital gain going forward for the foreseeable future based on its more attractive valuation and MUCH faster EPS growth rate.

RYM as I've acknowledged many times is a great company run like a very well oiled Swiss watch and priced like one too but SUM has plenty of room to improve its efficiencies and operational execution and I think the CFO and CEO are very motivated guys. Time will tell but there are no prizes for guessing which horse I'm backing. Each to their own and I can certainly understand why some people want to have a bob each way and good luck to RYM shareholders.

Earlier today I invited anyone to show some graphical proof to disprove my contention and I note nobody has done so.
    The graph I posted speaks for itself as does my action of buying more SUM today.
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-11-2017 at 10:50 PM.