sharetrader
Page 326 of 465 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 4648
    percy

Looks as though RYM [and possibly SUM] will concentrate on their Australian expansion.
    I seem to remember RYM have a 7 year NZ land bank.

I tend to think this (restriction on NZ listed companies with X% of foreign ownership buying land) is necessary to achieve the goal.
    Otherwise they will become vehicles of ownership of NZ land.

It could be streamlined so I don't see it as too negative for the companies.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I tend to think this (restriction on NZ listed companies with X% of foreign ownership buying land) is necessary to achieve the goal.
    Otherwise they will become vehicles of ownership of NZ land.

It could be streamlined so I don't see it as too negative for the companies.
    Peat do we know what the X% is.
    Fishing quota I believe the X% is 25%, if the fishing company is owned by overseas interest by over 25% then it can not hold (certain/any fish) quotas.
    For this reason I understand Sanford made changes so foreign ownership is held below 25%.
    I guess retirement companies can do something similar.

IMO

Always good to see your logical commonsense posts forest. The overseas investment amendment bill with a few tweaks will protect our land and properties im sure and support our retirement prop companies, all good for our country and companies.

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Peat do we know what the X% is.
    The OIO rules consider a company with more than 25% of ownership to be foreign. Its the same rule as the fishing situation forest, all coming under the Overseas Investment regulations

The new legislation is the Overseas Amendment Bill which will ban anyone except NZ and Australian citizens and permanent residents from buying an existing NZ home or residential property without Overseas Investment Office approval. Essentially making residential land sensitive
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    The OIO rules consider a company with more than 25% of ownership to be foreign. Its the same rule as the fishing situation forest, all coming under the Overseas Investment regulations

The new legislation is the Overseas Amendment Bill which will ban anyone except NZ and Australian citizens and permanent residents from buying an existing NZ home or residential property without Overseas Investment Office approval. Essentially making residential land sensitive
    Not to forget any farm land over 5 ha is also now in the touchy feely category.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Google ; Lend lease is breaking ranks over retirement village contracts.
    An extremely interesting article.
    Appears to me, by offering more choices, retirement villages will attract more residents.

Handsome Member

Interesting article, good to have options but it needs to be simple, by complicating the contracts it might just have an adverse effect. Was explaining the current model to my mum who turned 60 this year and she was saying she didnt know that is how Retirement Villages work but then went on to say I can just give "the three siblings" the current house and you three can buy me a retirement home because she does not like having the fee at the end and not getting the true market value of the retirement unit. So the options in the article will suit that way of thinking - on the other hand, it was a simple model to explain, now if I was to explain the 3 options in the article to my mum (knowing the type of person she is), she will just nod off after 5 minutes and say its too complicated. She just needs to know how much to buy it and how much can I sell it.
    The current formula seems to be working here with demand still as high as ever

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Interesting article, good to have options but it needs to be simple, by complicating the contracts it might just have an adverse effect. Was explaining the current model to my mum who turned 60 this year and she was saying she didnt know that is how Retirement Villages work but then went on to say I can just give "the three siblings" the current house and you three can buy me a retirement home because she does not like having the fee at the end and not getting the true market value of the retirement unit. So the options in the article will suit that way of thinking - on the other hand, it was a simple model to explain, now if I was to explain the 3 options in the article to my mum (knowing the type of person she is), she will just nod off after 5 minutes and say its too complicated. She just needs to know how much to buy it and how much can I sell it.
    The current formula seems to be working here with demand still as high as ever
    Be careful when gifting more than $27,000 per year is involved. You are allowed to gift 100% of what you own, but at a cost.... I can’t remember how much the government subsidy for retirement living is, but you lose that benefit when you gift more than $27,000 per year ($54,000 per couple). Get your lawyers advice on gifting

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Be careful when gifting more than $27,000 per year is involved. You are allowed to gift 100% of what you own, but at a cost.... I can’t remember how much the government subsidy for retirement living is, but you lose that benefit when you gift more than $27,000 per year ($54,000 per couple). Get your lawyers advice on gifting
    Gift duty was abolished some years ago after it had been zero rated for some time.