sharetrader
Page 461 of 467 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 4670

Quote Originally Posted by Leemsip View Post
    This isnt the case bull. Whole population is older for longer, even when the boomers die out. Population is permanently older as the 80-100 cohort gets huge.
    average age of life in a RV is 8yrs approx .... says it all

stay in your own property as long as possible i reckon , not an institution
    Last edited by bull....; 20-02-2024 at 09:24 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

Institution??? Its a life style choice Bull thats why the residents take it up.

Guru

Don't let the old man in.

percy

My 83 year old brother and his wife are looking to move into a retirement village.
    Reasons.
    He has had a health scare requiring a pace maker to be fitted.
    Wife had a bad fall last year.
    A lot of their friends have died and few people now visit them.
    A friend lives in a retirement village.Always a lot of organised activities,such as trips,outings,card schools,bowls and walks etc.
    So livestyle ,safety and companionship are the driving forces.
    The unit they are looking at in Hobart is approx $200,000 less they what their house will sell for.
    DMF is 8% a year to max of 40% after 5 years.
    Last edited by percy; 20-02-2024 at 09:32 AM.

Investments

Average life is 8 years shows people moving in too late ...check SUM's average life ...I am sure it will be much more then 8

Advanced Member

I can't wait to move into a village when the time comes.

I really enjoyed living in the halls of residence during university.....so hoping it will be back to the future. No more cooking care of the cafeteria, cleaners, parties, drinking, girls. Just need to find the village with the best 'vibe'

Jest aside I think some people are more naturally inclined to having that social aspect as they age. I think I will be suited to it, even if is a far cry from the halcyon days.

Handsome Member

Wow SP taking a hammering this morning

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I recall one of the stats from a documentary I watched on Netflix about the lingtivity of life.

Once you move into a retirement village then you statistically you don'tive as long. It was all based around keeping active if you stay in your own place.

I had never really thought about it before.
    I would like to know the research behind that doc. How would they know how long those people would have lived had they not moved into a RV. They would have to be assiduous in eliminating as factors the difference in morbidities of new residents compared with the test group from the general population.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    I can't wait to move into a village when the time comes.

I really enjoyed living in the halls of residence during university.....so hoping it will be back to the future. No more cooking care of the cafeteria, cleaners, parties, drinking, girls. Just need to find the village with the best 'vibe'

Jest aside I think some people are more naturally inclined to having that social aspect as they age. I think I will be suited to it, even if is a far cry from the halcyon days.

This is true, there's an epidemic of loneliness & a driver of people moving to RV's. Loneliness is a killer too.
    Ive heard numerous cases from friends who's widowed parent or even couples have found a new lease of life with new friends since they moved into an RV.
    That's why I lot of the marketing of RV's revolves around the social aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    My 83 year old brother and his wife are looking to move into a retirement village.
    Reasons.
    He has had a health scare requiring a pace maker to be fitted.
    Wife had a bad fall last year.
    A lot of their friends have died and few people now visit them.
    A friend lives in a retirement village.Always a lot of organised activities,such as trips,outings,card schools,bowls and walks etc.
    So livestyle ,safety and companionship are the driving forces.
    The unit they are looking at in Hobart is approx $200,000 less they what their house will sell for.
    DMF is 8% a year to max of 40% after 5 years.
    40% is far too high for a DMF even if it accrues over 5 years. Surely that is an example of an Australian operator - the NZ model will kill them in direct competition!

But I will be 77 in May and have looked at many villages in Auckland and elsewhere just in case circumstances change. The facilities do vary, but I would be prepared to commit to a preferred choice if needs be, partnered or not at the time. An Apartment or Villa will not be for everyone but you can't ignore the sheer number of residents who have voted "Yes". Of course a care suite is another option altogether, based upon health needs.