sharetrader
Page 96 of 466 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    According to my Direct Broking account I have today just tipped over the 1,000% un realised profit on RYM so thats a milestone in my investments
    Fantastic.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    That gladdens my heart no end reading that. A beautiful ten bagger... It would also mean that you are getting an excellent yield as well, since they pay around 9c a share these days?

If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me what investing in Ryman was like way back when you bought? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing how you felt this company was a great choice and the things you considered at the time.
    First off it was an IPO. I'm into IPO's if I get a hint of potential staging success. I have brought into pretty much every IPO there has been - except the ones I've been vocal about. Its an approach that has worked well for me with all buys except Submarines Australia which I lost the lot. (Good lesson there for my FTX buy!)

The fundamentals were right and simple. An aging population. A population which on the whole had money in cash, property or investments, and a more mobile world where the offspring were straying further from home meaning the parents were loosing their immediate community. Since humans are essentially social animals there was likely to be a herd instinct driving like minded people back together.

I also love property - RYM is not so much about looking after the oldies but about property development. So I was always going to be in - same reason for buying and keeping AIA - though that hasn't been so stella..

Align that with my view that as a rule initial demand for any relatively good company at IPO will drive demand over supply you are onto a winner from day one. (my rule doesn't work all the time - I just didn't get SNK, for example, since I have ad. blocking apps on my phone - so I didn't buy into that.)

After IPO there was a nice gain to be made but the general market sentiment seemed positive so saw no particular reason to quit. That sentiment has remained pretty much firm and consistent. It has continued with a pretty good dividend yield and share price appreciation. So much so at one point I sold a property and threw $100k into as a better bet than a short term deal with the bank. Sold a few months later after a very nice increase which meant my next mortgage was a whole lot less. Still have a good chunk in my portfolio and it has done nothing to attract my attention to sell down.

One wee benefit of RYM is HO is based in Christchurch so AGM's are held here. So not only do I get to hear directly from the company but there is also a decent morning tea which I class as a one off special dividend.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    According to my Direct Broking account I have today just tipped over the 1,000% un realised profit on RYM so thats a milestone in my investments
    Hi Minimoke
    In fact, the total return (at the current market cap, excluding dividends) has been 20 x, not 10 x.
    RYMAN did a two for 1 stock split some years ago.
    Market cap at listing: $135m
    Market cap today: $2.675b
    Regards,
    Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
    Hi Minimoke
    In fact, the total return (at the current market cap, excluding dividends) has been 20 x, not 10 x.
    RYMAN did a two for 1 stock split some years ago.
    Market cap at listing: $135m
    Market cap today: $2.675b
    Regards,
    Sauce
    I think that was 2007. My direct broking portfolio only shows back to 2003. So that's more than a ten bagger

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Who thought many moons ago that holding a retirement village operator would get you a ten-bagger? How the times change!
    20 bagger even

Banned

So, invest in what we all need then? That would mean a portfolio that included RYM, RBD and JWI (scary to most!)
    Eat, drink and die....scary indeed

percy

So, invest in what we all need then? That would mean a portfolio that included RYM, RBD and JWI (scary to most!)
    I have enjoyed good health for the last few years.Don't know whether it is because I have not eaten any KFC or not.
    I certainly can live without RBD.
    JWI.Why pay for something that is free out of the tap?

EXACTLY my mentality. I laugh at people that pay for it at corner stores and supermarkets. I only ever bought bottled water once, and that was after I had taken a wrong turn on an urban hike and did an extra 8km's and was dying of thirst. Think I kept that bottle for another 3 years after to refill for free from the tap as well!

HOWEVER, JWI stuff does taste better, and I cannot overlook the fact it has been present at my past 3 jobs, and in multiple watercoolers...
    I find this sort of comment interesting. I mean, when I see someone doing something I don't, I assume they have good reason, do you laugh at their ignorance.
    Are you sure it's not you that not in the know?
    I worked at a water treatment plant when I was young - have you actually seen the slurry of chemicals they put in your drinking water?
    Some people understand the importance of adequate hydration. You are way better off staying hydrated than being concerned about a few dollars.
    Some would buy an energy drink or a coke and think nothing of the cost - yet water will be way better for them, so why would you laugh at someone who buys water and not the others?
    There is a fair bit of research around many of the chemicals they put in water that indicates it's not so good for you - why take the chance if you don't have to?
    Finally - I get very ill if I drink tap water, it's quite debilitating, I can prove through repeated trial and error that without a doubt it is tap water that causes it. Ok I'm a minority, but there will no doubt be others and some that haven't worked it out yet - and as I say, when you see the chemical soup that goes into your tap water you can't help but wonder what part of tap water causes this.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Lawt View Post
    I find this sort of comment interesting. I mean, when I see someone doing something I don't, I assume they have good reason, do you laugh at their ignorance.
    Are you sure it's not you that not in the know?
    I worked at a water treatment plant when I was young - have you actually seen the slurry of chemicals they put in your drinking water?
    Some people understand the importance of adequate hydration. You are way better off staying hydrated than being concerned about a few dollars.
    Some would buy an energy drink or a coke and think nothing of the cost - yet water will be way better for them, so why would you laugh at someone who buys water and not the others?
    There is a fair bit of research around many of the chemicals they put in water that indicates it's not so good for you - why take the chance if you don't have to?
    Finally - I get very ill if I drink tap water, it's quite debilitating, I can prove through repeated trial and error that without a doubt it is tap water that causes it. Ok I'm a minority, but there will no doubt be others and some that haven't worked it out yet - and as I say, when you see the chemical soup that goes into your tap water you can't help but wonder what part of tap water causes this.
    The market must have agreed with you as the 50cent shares reached a high of about $1.00 in January 07.
    Not sure what happened then,maybe someone peed in their water as the shares last sold for 12cents.
    Last edited by percy; 18-04-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Lawt..you are right you are a minority.I believe that you have been brainwashed by some sales pitch....by the way I will always remember footage of a water bottle factory..where a hose was used to fill water bottles..an ordinary tap...no offence intended and yes this has nothing to do with Rym. Cheers