sharetrader
Page 4 of 462 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Someone is putting some serious selling pressure on - no news ie SSH that I can see. Anyone know anything about this - is it something to do with index fre-adjustments and instos rebalancing their portfolios????
    \"Lookin\' good Billy Ray!\"
    \"Feelin\' good Lewis!\"
    - Trading Places

Ryman posts record $11.1m profit

Profits up 32%!

Dividend up 25%

Ryman really is a success story.

But is it fully priced?

1.00pm
    Ryman Healthcare today posted a record $11.1 million net profit after tax for the six months to September, up from $8.4 million for the same period last year.

The listed resthome operator said the result was achieved on total operating revenue of $57.43m against $50.72m for the previous corresponding period.

The company said it will pay an unimputed interim dividend of 5c per share compared with 4c last year. The dividend increase was a reflection of the increase in the company's earnings it said in a statement to the NZX.

Ryman managing director Kevin Hickman said the solid result was driven by growth in the group's retirement village assets and a buoyant property market.

"We plan to continue rapid growth, in line with our target of increasing our profits at the rate of 15 per cent per annum," Mr Hickman said.

The company has construction projects underway in Auckland, Hamilton, Napier, Wellington and Invercargill, with more developments planned for next year in Wanganui, Lower Hutt and Christchurch.

Ryman has villages, resthomes and hospitals in Invercargill, Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, Lower Hutt, Napier, Hamilton and Auckland, providing homes and care services to more than 2300 people.

Ryman shares popped 7c higher on opening this morning to $3.30.

- NZPA

\"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

Advanced Member

Most so called growth stocks would kill for the type of EPS performance ryman has been churning out in the last few years.
    Can see them creeping over the 4 dollar mark in the next year , maybe much sooner.
    Still look well worth holding onto, any downturn in the property market could have some effect, however would probably be a good time to top up.

All looking good

Ratkin,

I know you are a keen on Ryman and I too have been a big fan of Ryman for the past 18 months. I bought at 1.68, 1.83, 3.12 and 3.26.

But lately I have started thinking that Ryman has peaked. Certainly if you look at the graph below it does show that Ryman is starting to track sideways.

http://stockwatch.nzherald.co.nz/quo...100&Symbol=RYM

I am well aware that Ryman keeps showing good profits and dividends but I am thinking about moving on. I suppose I need some reassurance to stay with Ryman. Can you give me any?
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

Advanced Member

Depends on your perspective, if you are a chart watcher then i guess you will go.

Personally i have put these in the bottom draw and will not sell unless the fundamentals start to decline. At the moment they are forecasting growth annually of 15%, if this turns to reality then this stock will continue its upward trend.

Can they do it? Well they have so far, they are one of the best growth stories in NZ in the last few years, furthermore it is not even in a particularly risky sector. Their asset base continues to grow along with profits so unless there is a massive property slump then there seems little that can go wrong.

The retirement villages themselves appear very well run and it looks like the elderly find them very appealing.
    Furthermore, there will be opportunities to move more into the h\ealthcare side of matters once they reach full capscity on the number of villages they own.

The number of vilages could continue to grow for quite sometime as the number of elderly increase, all in all i am still very excited about the long term prospects for ryman, and being in the fortunate position of purchacing for an average price of 1.72 am laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Dividends should continue to rise steadily over the next five years making these a very good investment indeed.

They are currently working on the Remuera home with 500 bed occupancy! - this is a major asset to their portfolio and will add major revenue streams. Why on earth would you consideer selling just because of a little sideways movement - NOG went nowhere fast in the 30 - 40 cent bracket for ages (yes I know thats a different story but you lot seem to like anything related to NOG) - just hold your horses.

Apologies for FA rant.
    \"Lookin\' good Billy Ray!\"
    \"Feelin\' good Lewis!\"
    - Trading Places

Advanced Member

While RYM has been in a downtrend since mid October, this should be viewed within the context of its 18 month uptrend.
    There is a confirmed trendline in place and current price action is above this. A trendline break would give a good Sell signal here. Using trendline breaks with RYM would have resulted in 2 trades since April 2003 and not everyone wants to trade that frequently. More conservative, less active investors could perhaps look to sell on the break of a 150 day exponential moving average, or a break below a Trailing Stop such as the 12x ATR trailing stop plotted here.
    Without an exit strategy, you are simply holding and hoping.

Phaedrus-I would value your comments.

I have recently been trying to get a better understanding of some aspects of TA to assist with buy and sell strategies.

With regard to Bollinger bands and RSI I have noted that they appear to be very accurate with the buy side.

In particular,if the share price breaks the lower B band and the share price starts to rise,in conjunction with RSI having a value between 0 and 10,then this appears to be a very strong buy indicator.

I have tested it with shares that I hold and appears to be correct about 90% of the time.
    I would be interested in your comments.
    RYM, back in July is a prime example.

Phaedrus,

Would it not be equally valid to draw your 2nd green line through dips starting at 2.3, 2.7, the first 3.1 and lastly at 3.25?

If you did that wouldn't the lastest price dip be below that line and therefore constitute a sell signal?

Advanced Member

rmbbrave,
    Sure, that would be quite valid - such a trendline would have given a good exit, and more active traders using this trendline would have sold already and be waiting for a break of the current (shorter term) downward trendline before buying again. You have moved into a shorter timeframe though, and I have the impression that the majority of ShareTrader contributors do not want to trade that actively, so the chart did not highlight the secondary trends that together constitute the overall uptrend. The posted chart was primarily aimed at long-term holders of RYM that have no exit strategy.