sharetrader
Page 2 of 462 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

KJ
    Basically let us say there are 3 stages in aging:-
    [1] Retirement
    [2] 'Aged care' - used to be nursing care and leading to [3]
    [3] Long term hospital care

[1] Retirment - retirement villages privately funded - a niche property play.

[2] 'Aged care' - with the signalled abolition of asset testing Govt will be the main funder - trusts will be less relevant for those who have use them to ring fence their estate. The aged care provider will feel the full force of the Govt 'capped budget' concept. To minimise 'profitering' the Govt will probably bar the provider from charging the client over and above the Govt 'subsidy', that is to say the funding is deemed to be full payment for the care. This capped budget takes no notice of any increase in costs (most of them are because of Govt's policies in other areas, like holiday pay!). All these will lead to erosion of profits, services and standards.

[3] Just a progression from [2] except more costly to run.

OK this is a growth sector requiring many thousands of beds in the not too distant future, but who wants to provide the beds if there is no meaningful margins.
    Be that as it may 'aged care' is an essential part of the health system. Just maybe it is 'too hard' for the private sector.
    Lots to think about and one day I may be a client!

disc: not a holder

Great post, foodee. Many thanks. And to ratkin for kicking it off.

The sector has obvious growth capability and would seem to have investment potential but you've given us plenty to think about. As I've had occasion to say elsewhere - but all too rarely, I fear - this is what ST is/should be all about

I have had some experience as secretary for a charitable village and rest home operator. Small operators cannot make a go of it. A rest home with less than 40 beds is not viable. Elderly folks like the best of both worlds - independence while they are able then with progressivly more support as they become more vulnerable. Rymans are doing this and they can make quite a good profit out of the cottages side because residents have an average time of about 5 years then rymans can resell the right to occupy to someone else. The profits made here make the higher-cost parts of the operation worth while.
    Iam a new boy in the shares game but RYM was first on my list about 8 mths ago and I am pleased with them.

Advanced Member

I will not be buying more at the present price, however sometime in the next four months there will probably be another good topping up opportunity.
    Ryman can go months between announcements and the price often shows some weakness simply due to lack of interest.
    The company quietly grows at a steady pace without attracting hype, thats why i like it.
    Might not be so many opportunities to pick it up at a bargain now though as its come onto the radar of the brokerage houses and funds

Advanced Member

Anyonw going to the AGM in the crowne plaza ?

Do they just read out the speeches that get posted on the web-site?
    Is it a boring afternoon tea spread?

If so you can have my proxy.

I looked at both MET and RYM smoe years ago. What I never liked (esp. MET) was the reliance on re-sales of occupancy licences - they were a big proportion of profits and volatile.

Also, from memory these two coys have big differences in how they account for revenues/profits etc. MET had some dodgy accounting that led to a securities Cmomission enquiry (about the time Cliff Cook moved to desputy from the big cheese). I never really got my head around it, but figured there had to be easier (and less volatile) things I could invest in.

Not trying to downplay RYM, the two founders have done a good job. Building their own villages (rather than outsourcng) has also seemed like a good call, (so long as they keep the developments going and the punters keep rolling (being wheeled?) on up).

Advanced Member

When will the stock stop going up!!!
    Knew it was a goodie and good to see market finally agrees, took a few years to catch on though.
    Downside is am no longer able to accumulate at bargain prices

Ratkin

You may not have seen my posts on MET thread. RYM now probably overpriced, not MET. I would like to see merger. Very complementary locations. Need size, & why compete against another major?

Cook & Todd of MET have just ended 5 year standstill agreement. How will they use tax losses?

This stock I bought last year at 1.70 due to both strong fundamentals and a nice looking chart (TA). So far it has surpassed my expectations. Tried to break through $3 several times and strong breakout of recent days suggests we have not seen the top just yet.

The other stock I bought at around the same time and for similar reasons was EBO. also at a new high today.