sharetrader
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Christchurch Meeting - Saturday February 25th 2012 at 6.00pm

Jack Sprat and others have previously suggested more regular meetings for the Canterbury region traders/investors, and it was raised again at the National Convention over the weekend, and there seemed to be a bit of interest.

It was suggested that these have a different format to the quarterly meetings, which are going strong and are great as both a social occasion and as a forum for sharing info. We saw again over the weekend how the occasion benefited from visitors from both the north and the south, and we wouldn't want to give that up.

But there are those that are also keen to sit around a table with a tea or coffee (or perhaps a beer for those of us that can't help ourselves) and notepads/laptops and discuss more specific trends or techniques on a more regular basis.

So we'll give it a crack, and I'd like to propose Thursday September 11th (an easy to remember date) at 7pm for the first meeting. It has been suggested that, if we can get a group up and running, some may like to host these meetings at their homes, but I'd suggest that we try it in a public place first, and see if it evolves from there.

I'll find a place for the first one that has a quiet seated area, with tea and coffee facilities, plenty of light and space, and power available for laptops.

It would be nice to hear from anyone that may be keen for these meetings so we can get some idea of whether we need to find space for 3 people or for a dozen.

Cheers
    Serpie
    Last edited by Serpie; 16-02-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Updated

Hi Serpie,

What a legend taking time out to do these sorts of things... I'm sure all the other christchurch sharetrader's appreciate it as much as I do. I'd definitely be up for it! The more you put in, the more you get out so doing a bit of extra-curricular study with like-minded individuals would be a great idea

I wont come to all of them serpie... but as the first meeting is the most important one, I will make sure I am there...
    thanks buddy...

.^sc
    BITCOIN certified rat poop. NSA created, Expensive to send, slow, can only trade on cex, no autonomy, spaghetti code, has been hacked, accidental Backdoor brc20s whoops, no one building on it, alienated all cryptos against it, volume is fake, few whales control large supply... it will perform though

Default Monthly meetings

Hi Serpie, I'll be there.
    Do you suggest the 2nd Thursday in each month, as a fixed date?
    Would like to know if anyone else is using Metastock for recording, could have some interesting screen shows to discuss TA.

Wim

Thumbs up Thank you

I think we've got enough to go ahead.

From Saturday's meeting there's 7-8 that have indicated an interest, and I can think of at least 3 or 4 others that may show up from time to time, so we'll give it a crack.

And perhaps these more casual meetings may entice others out of the woodwork as well.

Please keep the feedback coming and I'll get the venue underway.

Kiwiwim,
    I was thinking about varying the day to allow those that may have standing commitments on a Thursday to come to other meetings, so perhaps the next one will be on a Tuesday or Wednesday? Or we can standardise them if it's easier for everyone. We can discuss at the first meeting.
    Last edited by Serpie; 25-08-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Default Sorted

Kiwibear suggested the new South Christchurch Library as a possible venue, so I went and had a look today, and it will be perfect for our first monthly meeting.

So I've booked the boardroom for Thursday 11th September from 7.30pm - 9.30pm.
    It seats up to 30 people, and has projector/PC interface equipment, so we should be able to hook up to a big screen if we want to, as well as all of the electronic whiteboard stuff.

(They have smaller rooms that seat 10-12 people, but it would be a bit cramped if we have a good turnout).

Tea and coffee facilities are provided.

Please note that I'll be asking Vince to move this thread to the "Investment Groups and Clubs" section on Sharetrader in the next few days because that's probably where it belongs, so please check there for it when it disappears from here.

Thumbs up

South Christchurch Library boardroom is a GR8 venue thanks Serps I'll be there.
    Has fridge too to keep the beer cool!

A group of like minded friends who did 'Stockcourse' with me had monthly meetings there,
    and I have an acct there also. We used to divide up the cost and chip in for the night no probs
    as long as we were out before 10pm for the cleaners. Plenty of bars nearby for the hard-core
    to carry on if need be to drown loses or celebrate gains LOL.

Could have an agenda topic for discussion or a group expert to give a talk each session, or
    have a white board area in the "Investment Groups and Clubs ChCh" for members wishes.
    Also could entice subject matter experts to give a lecture.

I can bring a projector for setups, have a live acct to put up charts etc.

I enjoy the collective knowledge of this group, having a regular meet is great for motivation and ideas.

Regards the Bear
    Your candle loses nothing when it lights another." (John Maxwell)
    Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing - The Tao of Warren Buffett

Thanks Kiwi, and thanks for the venue. Looks good. First in first served for space in the fridge!

I'll PM you about organising the presentation equipment - it sounds like you're our man in that field.

I agree that an agenda of some sort is a good idea, especially for the first meeting, and I would welcome ideas for discussion topics to get things going.

Personally I'm keen to talk more about technical indicators that are working for others, and things like the use of trailing stops.

I've also been thinking about searching for all of the tradeable (NZX,NZAX,Unlisted) companies that have a presence in the region and inviting them to come along and pitch their presentations. A low key, low pressure environment may appeal to some, even as a dummy run for an AGM presentation? Who knows - we can only ask, but we'll see how we go in terms of set up and numbers, and of course what everyone thinks of this idea.

Note: This thread will be moving to the "Investment Groups and Clubs" thread at the end of the week. Please check for it there.
    Last edited by Serpie; 26-08-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Wink Bump

With so much chatter about the Auckland & Wellington meetings I thought I should bump the ChCh meeting thread back to the top of list.

But mainly this is a reminder that Vince will be moving this thread to the Investment Clubs and Meetings section tonight, so please look for it there.

I'd like to table Phaedrus's "fiasco" post as one discussion point at our first meeting, and I've also got the latest AFR Smart Investor magazine which has some entry level charting stuff (head and shoulders, ascending/descending triangles etc) which I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on.

Looking forward to it Sir Pee...

.^sc
    BITCOIN certified rat poop. NSA created, Expensive to send, slow, can only trade on cex, no autonomy, spaghetti code, has been hacked, accidental Backdoor brc20s whoops, no one building on it, alienated all cryptos against it, volume is fake, few whales control large supply... it will perform though