sharetrader
Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Probably pretty hard to comment on profits after one quarter - extrapolated for a year, might be too big a headache to contemplate with current gearing.

Cancelling the DRP and paying out in cash is a heart-warming acknowledgement of shareholder interests - so hope it favours them if they ever need to call on shareholder support.

Having just two markets and effectively just two products is always going to make a company more vulnerable. But CAV have historically achieved surprising consistency in performance. It will be interesting to see what they are able to do to turn this around.
    Liz,

I take it your no fan of DRP's. Why? (if i may ask and only if you have the energy or inclination to answer)

cheers
    Moi.

Guru

Take the money and invest in the shares when the price is right. Simplistic but the cash flow gives you choices. IMHO.

Share Collector

Actually, I didn't realise I wasn't a fan of DRP's until you wrote that...

The comment about CAV that you quote above wasn't specifically meant that way - I was really just saying that they did the honourable thing when they cancelled the DRP just to avoid shareholders getting given shares at a price they believed would be too high - given the somewhat drastic change in outlook they were presenting.... especially fair-minded given that they must have been suddenly torn as to whether to conserve cash (as now evidenced by them advising there will be no interim dividend).

But, yes, thinking about it, I don't tend to sign up for DRP's - partly because I think that any dividend that isn't paid out of cash is a "false" dividend. I particularly think that underwritten DRP's (more common in Australia) verge on being intentionally deceptive. Of course, there is a nice place for DRP's as a compounded saving device - although I'd rather see the company carry out a share buyback to cover those holders who'd prefer a low cost way of increasing their holding over taking the income rather than diluting those (often older) investors who prefer income. Definitely any company offering more than a 5% discount to VWAP would be fairer to holders if they simply reduced the dividend and paid cash... maybe even 2% is enough discount in the current low-interest environment, while debt is relatively cheap.

If you don't have the cash and you can't borrow the cash, you probably shouldn't be giving it away to shareholders....

Share Collector

One other thing about DRP's is that they are a bit of a pain for companies that spend a month or two between ex-date and paid date.... that's a whole month or more of the year that you can't sell your shares without being left with the unmarketable DRP parcel. It's caught me out before...

Some astonishing gains in the last few weeks.
    Looks like the great slide has halted.
    30-day MA well broken, but volumes very light.
    Paws crossed, Cheers, scamper.

Roger Kerr on the radio the other morning said that the NZ economy was doing pretty well, esp the 2nd half of last year and starting the new year, so he expected all companies reporting good profits in this earnings season round ..... and sort of made the comment that he wouldn't be able to understand why any company disappointed

Well come on Roger ... get out into the real world .... in some sectors it's real tough out there

Well well .... that short announcement from CAV really was a shocker eh ..... too hard to guess how much we'll make this year but it looks like it'll be (a lot?) less than $8m (did say $8.5m to $10.5m a few month ago) .... so Roger will think this outfit is bloody hopeless?

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard 18 Nov 11 View Post
    AGM time and sales now only down 18% instead of 20%.... but no interim div this year.... big step for CAV which has been a perennial for those wanting income over the past decade....

.... might be going back to GFC lows and maybe lower. Going to be a horrible first half and then we will see how long it takes to hit the next cyclical upturn.
    Looks like that "horrible first half" is going to be NPAT around $3.5m and 59% down on last years $8.5m... could never understand why it bounced before, but still think it is probably going back to GFC lows or lower... no sign of that cyclical upturn for them yet.

Don't think there will be debt risk around those figures yet, but will probably want to see some improvement before they start rolling long-term financing in another 12-18 months.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Well come on Roger ... get out into the real world .... in some sectors it's real tough out there

Well well .... that short announcement from CAV really was a shocker eh ..... too hard to guess how much we'll make this year but it looks like it'll be (a lot?) less than $8m (did say $8.5m to $10.5m a few month ago) .... so Roger will think this outfit is bloody hopeless?
    There is always some sector doing it tough... it's called "change". Think it is possible that Cavalier is affected by a degree of structural shift here - both in terms of NZ acceptance of non-wool carpets (just as butter eventually lost out to margarine a couple of decades ago), and in terms of industry structure (larger retail buying groups with their own import channels).

Maybe, just as they once said, "the stars aligned" in their favour a few years ago, they are now seeing their stars scattered...

And now Scamper is out.
    sincerely hope no-one got over excited and acted on my comment above.
    Best wishes to the stayers.

I see operating cash flow number had brackets around it

Not a good look when you get $111m in from selling stuff but you spend $111m on supplies and wages ..... and then need to pay the bank and the taxman

never mind .... its all seasonal eh .... we'll be right