sharetrader
Page 38 of 242 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Think that you should has a " Disc " in there, when you mention www.estaronline.com Percy :-))

percy

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Would think they are up between 20% and 35%.If not they should get www.estaronline.com to do their web site.
    Thanks Janner.
    As a matter of record/"Disc" Percy and a number of Sharetrader's more astute posters have shares in www.estaronline.com, and none as far as I can remember hold any MHI.

Advanced Member

Astute indeed :-))

percy

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Astute indeed :-))
    The "astute" was no problem,however was not sure how to qualify it?
    Choices were; very, more, or most.!!!!
    lol.

Advanced Member

The "astute" was no problem,however was not sure how to qualify it?
    Choices were; very, more, or most.!!!!
    lol.
    My " astute " Percy was in regard to not holding MHI..

Another company held by family for family IMO.... al la.. RAKON..

percy

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    My " astute " Percy was in regard to not holding MHI..

Another company held by family for family IMO.... al la.. RAKON..
    Can't stop laughing. lol.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    That's unfair. Sir Michael Hill genuinely does care about investors in his company. As far as I can recall, he's been an ethical and responsible leader for his company.

My issues with Michael Hill (the company) relate to the general difficulties of mall and High St retail in the age of the internet, and the overall macro-economic issues facing consumers and spending, but I'd never consider Sir MH as unethical, or that he ran the company for him and his family over that of other interests.

Sir Michael was a man who worked on his business, rather than in his business. In his heyday, he cared deeply about the image of his company, he worked on his relationship with brokers and investors, and was not a man who focused solely on the moneyed city slickers, but would regularly take the message of company progress into the regions of NZ.

Sorry if this reads like a hagiographic obit for Sir Michael, but I really think it unfair to suggest his leadership of the company could be mentioned in the same sentence as Rakon.
    Agree with you.!!!
    A fantastic example of what can be achieved by a great business man.
    I also think the issues of mall rents and internet competition,retail spending etc are very real.
    To other posters may I apologise for what I thought was fun between Janner and me.No disrespect was meant.
    Last edited by percy; 14-01-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Advanced Member

That's unfair. Sir Michael Hill genuinely does care about investors in his company. As far as I can recall, he's been an ethical and responsible leader for his company.

My issues with Michael Hill (the company) relate to the general difficulties of mall and High St retail in the age of the internet, and the overall macro-economic issues facing consumers and spending, but I'd never consider Sir MH as unethical, or that he ran the company for him and his family over that of other interests.

Sir Michael was a man who worked on his business, rather than in his business. In his heyday, he cared deeply about the image of his company, he worked on his relationship with brokers and investors, and was not a man who focused solely on the moneyed city slickers, but would regularly take the message of company progress into the regions of NZ.

Sorry if this reads like a hagiographic obit for Sir Michael, but I really think it unfair to suggest his leadership of the company could be mentioned in the same sentence as Rakon.
    Oh !!.. Must be careful how I word this..

Agree with you Sparky that Sir Michael Hill is an ethical man..

It is the concept of a public company owned and run by a Family that always worries me.. Yes it is ok as a new company ..
    That is how most begin..

As they get larger the " Family " usually do not have the expertise to cover all ...

Rakon have not brought much if any " New Blood " into their thinking..

The same could also be said for Murdoch.. Hill.. Rhineheart..

Would I... Have I.. Invested into any of them ??.. No !!..

Sure many have made money from them.. Many more have made greater .. Investing else where..

Family controlled companies are better left to their own devices IMO..

Advanced Member

Agree with you.!!!
    A fantastic example of what can be achieved by a great business man.
    I also think the issues of mall rents and internet competition,retail spending etc are very real.
    To other posters may I apologise for what I thought was fun between Janner and me.No disrespect was meant.
    haha.. Agree with you also Percy..

As we all scramble to not besmirch Sir Michael Hill...

It is your " issues " that I am trying to highlight.. The world is changing so fast today that it is almost impossible for one " Family " to comprehend and give well reasoned responses to..

Advanced Member

I'm sure you weren't being disrespectful, I just found the mention of Sir MH in the same sentence of Rakon a bit unfair

Glad it was just in jest.

And no, I'm not a member of the Hill family, leaping to maintain the family honour :-)

I'm sure you've worked out my surname isn't Robinson either, judging by the criticisms I've made of them too....
    Sparky ... To take the heat of of percy.. It was I that linked MHI and Rakon ..

With as I have already said .. No disrespect to Sir Michael..

It is just that one should be very aware of " Family " business's.. Madoff.. and the one from the South Island ( how quickly one forgets their name. Not being invested ).. Are good examples.. Ross... etc..

There has to be independant oversight.. And not with the same " Professional Independants ".. i.e. .. Muggeridge et al..

MHI... a family business.. Not with my money..