sharetrader
Page 57 of 242 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by James108 View Post
    Really? I invested only after they announced they were pulling out of US and closing Emma and Roe. They can't hemorrhage money forever trying to get into US.

I think investors are unhappy about the large increase in corporate costs despite the decrease scope of the business. If I was aware that would be occurring I wouldn't have invested until SP was closer to current levels.

However, they have a solid core business which seems to be trading at good value currently, I hope price drops a bit further.
    That is my take on it too. Great decision to withdraw from the US. Can now use resources to focus on Canada and NZ/AUS. Plenty of growth to come from Canada, but even if no growth, can now go and make a good 10 CEPS plus with all the savings from not losing money hand over fist in the US and with Emma Roe.

Sold all my MHJ shares at $1.30 when they moved everything to Aus about 2 years ago, including their main listing in the ASX. This turned out to be a fortunate decision for me as their shares haven't done well since. I must admit that I've had MHI shares since 2003 and they had been a very good investment, especially when my (at the time) 2000 shares became 20,000 shares after a 10 for 1 share split, and the share price started rising again eventually.

Really? I invested only after they announced they were pulling out of US and closing Emma and Roe. They can't hemorrhage money forever trying to get into US.

I think investors are unhappy about the large increase in corporate costs despite the decrease scope of the business. If I was aware that would be occurring I wouldn't have invested until SP was closer to current levels.

However, they have a solid core business which seems to be trading at good value currently, I hope price drops a bit further.

I'm more in line with this, do you have any report other than Craigs? I have Craigs but they don't research it.

TA review makes a compelling case to keep your powder dry. Just plain ugly with no sparkle to be seen.

For me the move to house branded watches is a very big mistake. I have no idea where their MH watch is made, the quality, accuracy or durability of the inner workings the case or the strap.

https://www.michaelhill.co.nz/watche...s?fdid=article Not a single other brand to choose from other than the house brand. Someone forgot to tell Michael Hill that the customer is always right and that customers like choice !

I want to buy a brand I know and trust is super accurate and durable and for me that's Seiko. I wouldn't pay $100 for a Michael Hill watch they typically wanted $700 for when I looked a while back. The fact that my local Michael Hill store will not stock well known trusted brands of watches undermines their total store offering and I don't know if I could trust any of their other products, especially house branded ones. For me, they have shot themselves in the foot. This sort of house brand strategy is designed to give them extra margin and was a roaring success for Dick Smith wasn't it ! I don't believe in their stores or their product strategy so wouldn't own their shares either. (my 2 cents)
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-09-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    TA review makes a compelling case to keep your powder dry. Just plain ugly with no sparkle to be seen.

For me the move to house branded watches is a very big mistake. I have no idea where their MH watch is made, the quality, accuracy or durability of the inner workings the case or the strap.

https://www.michaelhill.co.nz/watche...s?fdid=article Not a single other brand to choose from other than the house brand. Someone forgot to tell Michael Hill that the customer is always right and that customers like choice !

I want to buy a brand I know and trust is super accurate and durable and for me that's Seiko. I wouldn't pay $100 for a Michael Hill watch they typically wanted $700 for when I looked a while back. The fact that my local Michael Hill store will not stock well known trusted brands of watches undermines their total store offering and I don't know if I could trust any of their other products, especially house branded ones. For me, they have shot themselves in the foot. This sort of house brand strategy is designed to give them extra margin and was a roaring success for Dick Smith wasn't it ! I don't believe in their stores or their product strategy so wouldn't own their shares either. (my 2 cents)
    If I remember well seeing in the Porirua store the label said made in China, I'm open to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MauroNZ View Post
    If I remember well seeing in the Porirua store the label said made in China, I'm open to be wrong.
    I think you're probably right going off vague memory. My last gold Seiko watch looked very stylish, kept perfect time and provided excellent durable timekeeping for 25 years so they had no chance of selling me a house brand lol. I remember being very surprised that they don't sell any of the big name brands.
    I thought what a joke and went to a proper Jewelry store https://www.stewartdawsons.co.nz/watches
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Does anyone on Sharetrader know anyone who shops at Michael Hill.?

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

Not me .....
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I have heard of 2 items from two different people being bought at Michael hill in last 6 months. Total value in excess of $1k. Not really a place people shop regularly I wouldn’t think.

In my view their stores look the best compared to other offerings in malls. As far as quality goes I can’t comment. But I’m a bloke a diamond ring is a diamond ring to me.

percy

I have heard of 2 items from two different people being bought at Michael hill in last 6 months. Total value in excess of $1k. Not really a place people shop regularly I wouldn’t think.

In my view their stores look the best compared to other offerings in malls. As far as quality goes I can’t comment. But I’m a bloke a diamond ring is a diamond ring to me.
    At Westfield Riccarton ChCh there is a Michael Hill store, where I have never seen any body buying.
    In the same Mall there is a Lovisa store that is always flat out.
    One has expensive junk,while the other sells cheap junk.
    Last edited by percy; 05-09-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: other instead of over.