sharetrader

Default 5 Steps to Trading Success Using Technical Analysis

5 Steps to Trading Success Using Technical Analysis
    By Tim Huang
    1. Simple is better - Use a handful of technical indicators
    There are dozens of technical indicators out there. It is a mistake to apply all of them at the same time as many indicators give contradictory signals and you will never find a stock that meets the requirements of all indicators. Instead, you should focus on four to five indicators to make a trading decision. Some of the popular ones include Moving average (MA), Exponential moving average (EMA), MACD, Stochastic and so on.

2. Back test your indicators with historical data
    Use the technical indicators you learn and test them with historical data. The more tests you do, the better. Develop a trading system that works for you based on your testing results. Try to break your system with more stocks and historical price.

3. Paper trade using your trading system
    You should spend at least one month testing your system with end of date market data. Select a few stocks that meet the requirements of your technical indicators and see how they are doing each day.

4. Set a proper stop loss
    No matter what stock you choose, you should always set a stop loss point. Do not hold a losing trade too long hoping it will rise again. Remember, 90% of your profit will be made on 25% of your trades. You should hold winning trades longer instead of the losing ones. What percentage is a proper stop loss point? That depends on your own trading style. If you are an aggressive trader picking volatile stocks, then you should use 8%-10%. If you are less aggressive, then you should consider 2%-5%. One thing to keep in mind, if your stop loss point is 5%, you should not pick a stock that lost more than 5% on a single day in the past 30 days to avoid being kick out.

5. When to sell and take profit
    Remember, you will never sell at the exact top because no one knows the market for certain. You should keep your winning trades longer. However, if your technical indicators go against you, and the patterns start to fail, that's when you should sell your stock and take profit.

Hi Shulink,

Would you be able to explain how Stochastic's works. I have seen the charts but never fully understood how they are made up.

Thanks,
    Forest

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Hi Shulink,

Would you be able to explain how Stochastic's works. I have seen the charts but never fully understood how they are made up.

Thanks,
    Forest

Hi,I will try to explain a little about Stochastic.
    Stochastic have many signals:
    1.line direction:when the price raise and two line of stochastic direct to same way(all rise),the up trend may continues.Vice Versa.
    2.When fast line %K crossover slow line %D and both two line above oversold area 25( It has value between 0-100. below 25 is oversold.above 80 is overbought), it gives you buy signal. When slow line%D crossove %k, it gives you sell signal.
    3.Never buy a stock when Stochastic is overbought and do not sell short when its oversold.
    4.The most helpful signal is Divergence: ( I quote it from the book because it explains better)
    "a. A bullish divergence occurs when prices fall to a new low but Stochastic traces a higher bottom than during the previous decline.It shows that beares are losing strength and prices are falling out of inertia,As soon as Stochastic turns up from its second bottom, it gives strong buy signal.
    b.A bearish divergence occurs when prices rally to a new high but stochastic traces a lower top than during its previous rally. It shows that bulls are becoming weaker and prices are rising out of inertia.As soon As stochastic turns down from its second top. it gives a sell signal."-Quote from "Trading for a living"
    There are more signals from stochastic that I couldn't explain all, but if you are interesting, I recommend you to read" Trading for a living" By ALexander Elder. The book introduces many technical indicators.

Good luck.

Thanks Shulink

That was helpful.

are these ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foxysfolkfaced23 View Post
    are these ads?
    Yes, send me $5000 and I will give you my secret of trading with stochastics.

arco

Yes, send me $5000 and I will give you my secret of trading with stochastics.

arco
    sounds good

ill take 6 of them