sharetrader
Page 145 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2038

Someone watching the rain radar?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/weeken...MCCDI33PUX6DE/

Probably more ‘abnormal event’ claims to hit the insurance sector and Tower.

Thing is, these abnormal events are normal and realistically, insurance companies have to keep cranking up premiums as high and as fast as they can to ‘weather’ these events.
    As long as it’s not as bad as the Timaru hail stones it’ll be all OK
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Id expect some claims but so far everything is holding together.
    Last edited by mike2020; 30-05-2021 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike2020 View Post
    Now lets see if they can claw back that divie
    They will pay that dividend & the next one imo. There’s enough balance sheet capacity & underlying earnings to do so.

Issue with Tower is the state of the insurance industry & the recurring ‘one-offs’ which many investors would now view as normal.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/wild-weather-hits-new-zealand-heavy-rain-flooding-fears-for-christchurch-canterbury/CE5ZG7CIANC6WBPJWBUEOC4O2Y/

So Tower comes across as a company with volatile earnings & with the latest results, as a company with limited earnings growth potential.
    Last edited by Balance; 30-05-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Unfortunately, as per my previous post on this on 18 May, with the ever increasing effects of climate change extremely unusual weather events like the rain affecting Canterbury this weekend are going to be more and more frequent to the point where they become so regular they become normal. Not a good sector in my opinion.

I can't take any credit for this insight as I was very fortunate to have a very loyal client who worked on contract for Metservice for over 50 years. Lovely old chap and the last time I saw him when he retired he told me, don't believe all this one in 100 year weather event nonsense. You'll get at least one, more often two of these so called one in one hundred year weather events every year. He went on and told me some other really scary stuff....basically the amount of methane now being released from ice sheet melting means we are on an irreversible road to catastrophic climate change irrespective of what we do with CO2 emissions. https://cage.uit.no/2021/04/28/metha...ng-ice-sheets/
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-05-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Risk Manager for FTX

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Unfortunately, as per my previous post on this on 18 May, with the ever increasing effects of climate change extremely unusual weather events like the rain affecting Canterbury this weekend are going to be more and more frequent to the point where they become so regular they become normal. Not a good sector in my opinion.
    Then surely you got to worry about owning Turners selling dirty combustion cars, Genesis with its dirty coal plant/kupe and Heartland with all that dirty rural debt on its books

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Then surely you got to worry about owning Turners selling dirty combustion cars, Genesis with its dirty coal plant/kupe and Heartland with all that dirty rural debt on its books
    It's different because Beagle does not own shares in Tower.
    Last edited by Balance; 31-05-2021 at 07:41 AM.

If there were 20 distinct locations within the country, a 1 in 100 event should happen to the country every five years. There are multiple types of events that are individually described by there frequency, so you get back to an event every few years. Start considering 1:20 year events and a year without something should be the exception.

Across the country seeing regular (but not super regular) infequent events shouldn't be a problem if Tower has done the underlying risk maths correctly. Some risks vary by location and Tower is at least some of the way towards higher premiums where there is a higher claim risk.

Tower said as it was experiencing higher call volumes than usual, due to the state of emergency in Ashburton, it was asking people from other areas with non-urgent inquiries to lodge their claims online through the My Tower app, or via its website.

“We hope everyone is keeping safe. Make sure to take extra care on the roads or avoid driving if possible, and if water has entered your house, make sure to turn the power off,” it said in a Facebook post.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mon...for-some-weeks
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    It's different because Beagle does not own shares in Tower.
    LOL you naughty dog.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine