sharetrader
Page 68 of 213 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Just waiting for similar action with TTK got my offer from SPK in post today

Tower says it may need to raise capital to prop up its balance sheet during the takeover saga.

That could be interesting.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Tower says it may need to raise capital to prop up its balance sheet during the takeover saga.

That could be interesting.
    You could think TWR shareholders "live in interesting times."

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Yeah right.!
    Any one who reads "The Press" will be well aware everyday there have been articles and stories of insurance companies behaving badly.
    I for one will never again invest in any insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Yeah right.!
    Any one who reads "The Press" will be well aware everyday there have been articles and stories of insurance companies behaving badly.
    Have a look at CBL - they do quite nicely
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

yeah right.!
    Any one who reads "the press" will be well aware everyday there have been articles and stories of insurance companies behaving badly.
    right to give them a wide berth. Senior management involved in carving up the tower business units now acting as ¨consultants¨ to suncorp

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Belle View Post
    right to give them a wide berth. Senior management involved in carving up the tower business units now acting as ¨consultants¨ to suncorp
    It was GPG that raid TWR, sold off the health insurance, fund management etc, took the money and sold out. Tower is just an insignificant insurance player now

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Have a look at CBL - they do quite nicely
    Picture a chart of a Turkey being fattened up for Christmas.
    It starts in the bottom left hand corner on 1st January.Each day you feed the turkey, and it puts on weight,and each day you mark on your chart,and the chart starts heading for the top right hand corner.Looks fantastic.But then on the 13th December you chop off the turkeys head.Chart drops to Zero.Insurance companies are the same.Fat profits until a huge underwriting disasterous loss cuts off their head.!
    Read the history of Lloyds.
    Last edited by percy; 07-04-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Picture a chart of a Turkey being fattened up for Christmas.
    It starts in the bottom left hand corner on 1st January.Each day you feed the turkey, and it puts on weight,and each day you mark on your chart,and the chart starts heading for the top right hand corner.Looks fantastic.But then on the 13th December you chop off the turkeys head.Chart drops to Zero.Insurance companies are the same.Fat profits until a huge underwriting disasterous loss cuts off their head.!
    Read the history of Lloyds.
    Are you saying that it might not be a good idea to invest into insurance companies who underwrite life insurance policies for turkeys without excluding the risk of intentional cultural mass-killings of said turkeys?

I absolutely agree.

However - looking at the larger picture of insurance companies do I think that your post just highlights the problem of insufficient diversification combined with underestimating the likelihood and damage of one particular insured event.

I don't think that the insurance business is that much different to the finance business - and we both are quite heavily invested into some examples of the latter kind. The trick is in both industries to properly manage and cost risk - and to diversify sufficiently to make sure that one (or a series of) super accident(s) does not kill the business.

I probably need to do still some more research on CBL (and this is stuff for a different thread), but I don't see any reason why insurance in general should be more risky or less profitable than any other well managed business in the financial world.

Do you?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)