sharetrader
Page 81 of 213 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    There were 28,000 small holdings (between 1 to 5,000 shares) registered as Tower shareholders last year - suspect that's the reason why many simply decided to ignore the rights issue - they have been burnt enough?

Agree hell of a pity though as they can recapture some value by taking up their rights.
    Hmmm well I didn't get a letter or email about the rights offer and I know a couple of people who didn't either (and I had to remind) so maybe that's part of the reason too. They just didn't know about it. With that many shares you probably don't follow the SP that closely.

Anyway 88% is still pretty good. Be an exciting year for the company.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/998...-to-task-loses

Things starting to go Tower's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Does anyone see this stock trending upwards any time in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    Does anyone see this stock trending upwards any time in the near future?
    It already is. It's gone up from 56 cents to 70 cents so close to 20% since announcement of rights issue

For a century or so insurance companies invested heaps of money (premiums) in oil, coal and mining companies. Always a ready source of capital they were.

Ironic they now bemoan the consequences of those investments as climate change seems to cause all these catastrophic storms.

But then again we as the insured are actually the losers aren’t we with increased premiums.

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...100/274294.pdf
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

The "bad luck" for TWR continues ... that's a pity ... was hoping for a resumption of dividends this year and some decent capital gains too

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    The "bad luck" for TWR continues ... that's a pity ... was hoping for a resumption of dividends this year and some decent capital gains too
    Not really ‘bad luck’ is it - aren’t they in the insurance business and need to manage risk. Maybe their premiums were just too ‘competive’ for their own good.

Perhaps you meant that they are not going to be fortunate to have a boomer year with no storms to stuff on.

Climate change going to make it difficult for insurance ....things become more of a punt for them
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

One of my clients is a weather contractor for metservice. Has been sending up those weather information gathering balloons and reporting back climate info for over 50 years. I love those old guys that have many decades of experience and he's an absolute gentleman too. I asked him some time back if he thinks climate change is real and about these so called 1 in 100 year weather events. He just laughed and told me to expect these so called 1 in 100 year weather events every other year now, probably more often. With ongoing risk of the shaky isles rocking again and extreme weather events far more often than historically I reckon anyone who's invested in any insurer is a very brave investor.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I reckon anyone who's invested in any insurer is a very brave investor.
    I reckon investing in insurance companies these days is basically going long on Black Swan events. Picking up pennies in front of steam rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Fender View Post
    I reckon investing in insurance companies these days is basically going long on Black Swan events. Picking up pennies in front of steam rollers.
    What about picking up pennies behind the steam roller?