sharetrader
Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket

Default Cricket

Anyone following the black caps?? What a day it has been so far, and to think we were completely written off before the test had started, btw dont get me wrong I not think a victory is in sight.... yet!
    "Gold is money, everything else is credit"- J.P. Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    Anyone following the black caps?? What a day it has been so far, and to think we were completely written off before the test had started, btw dont get me wrong I not think a victory is in sight.... yet!
    Yup how good was Ryder a wicket before tea (Haddin) & then clean bowls "Pup" on 98
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

slow learner

Don't forget it is a very green wicket for Brisbane and first up bowlers were going to do well, so happy we won the toss!

Quote Originally Posted by Financially dependant View Post
    Don't forget it is a very green wicket for Brisbane and first up bowlers were going to do well, so happy we won the toss!
    Johnson & Clark will swing it tomorrow, if the openers can see off the new ball & in particular Lee, NZ should have a 1st innings lead!

yes well done the blackcaps today. But they need to be positive in their approach tomorrow. Need to see off the new ball and then go for it. They will not be out there long so should try to score as fast as possible. The pitch will be difficult till day 3 so get the runs then try to bowl out Aussie while there is still life in the pitch then hopefully day 4 and 5 they get a mangable total

Quote Originally Posted by Nevl View Post
    yes well done the blackcaps today. But they need to be positive in their approach tomorrow. Need to see off the new ball and then go for it. They will not be out there long so should try to score as fast as possible. The pitch will be difficult till day 3 so get the runs then try to bowl out Aussie while there is still life in the pitch then hopefully day 4 and 5 they get a mangable total
    Are you guys cheering now? If our batsmen knuckle down they can score competitive totals - the problem I see is the inability of our bowlers to take 20 wickets - and you won't win matches unless you dismiss the other side twice.

Aussies are wounded after the Indian loss and will want to turn up the heat at home - particularly against the pop-gun Kiwis.

I fear this tour we will be steamrollered. A good tour to be injured for...
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

I seem to think that it went exactly as I feared. No enough runs and failed to get that wicket of Katich so not giving themselves a chance in the last innings. Still Day 1 was nice and shows the great value of a 5 day match where you can make up for a bad day.

Redmond does best of the top order tn the Adelaide test and then gets dropped

Maybe it runs in the family ..... Dad played one test with a scintilaatting century and a 50 and never played another

Whose this McIntosh anyway?

And how can we develop talent like Southee when he never knows when he's in or out of the team ..... NZ conditions could easily see him repeat what he did at Brisbane to Aussies

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Redmond does best of the top order tn the Adelaide test and then gets dropped

Maybe it runs in the family ..... Dad played one test with a scintilaatting century and a 50 and never played another

Whose this McIntosh anyway?

And how can we develop talent like Southee when he never knows when he's in or out of the team ..... NZ conditions could easily see him repeat what he did at Brisbane to Aussies
    Redmond has had his chances, just like Matthew Bell has, time to try someone with domestic form in our conditions.

Tim MacIntosh can bat for long periods, & hopefully in him we have another Wright/Richardson type opener...

The likely side to face the Windies looks interesting...

Could look something like this...( with 6* lefties )

J How
    T MacIntosh*
    J Ryder*
    R Taylor
    B McCullum
    D Flynn*
    J Oram*
    D Vettori*
    J Franklin*
    I O'Brien
    M Gillespie/J Patel

Chris Martin & Tim Southee can feel a little aggrieved, Martin bowled well in Australia without success, & Southee is a talent who has a big future in the Black Caps set up.

I admire the new coach for stamping his mark & picking form players in MacIntosh, Gillespie & Franklin...(Martin & Southee bowled alot of overs v Bangladesh & Australia, & may need a rest/game back in the domestic comp.

Lets see if we can win the Test series & retain the 7th spot.

Shame the name S Bond no longer appears in the NZ side, we need to develope another 150kph accurate bowler

If Redmond had his chance how long do we perservere with Flynn then ....same number of games and redmend has scored more runs and in 12 tests Flynn hasn;t even got to 50

And we peservere with How .... miserable average of 23 in 30 innings is not the start we want.

Pity we don't perservere with the likes of Bell ... in and out and one of the most prolific scorers in NZ domestic credit ..... better than McIntosh probably ... but in his late 20's McIntosh might be able to step up better than the other experiments we have tried .... how many failures will he be allowed

Pity Martin can't extend his world record

But one thing is certain .... NZ will have 1 terrible session in each test match

If Redmond had his chance how long do we perservere with Flynn then ....same number of games and redmend has scored more runs and in 12 tests Flynn hasn;t even got to 50

And we peservere with How .... miserable average of 23 in 30 innings is not the start we want.

Pity we don't perservere with the likes of Bell ... in and out and one of the most prolific scorers in NZ domestic credit ..... better than McIntosh probably ... but in his late 20's McIntosh might be able to step up better than the other experiments we have tried .... how many failures will he be allowed

Pity Martin can't extend his world record

But one thing is certain .... NZ will have 1 terrible session in each test match
    I agree, they have set themselves up v England both home & away to win & yet somehow found a reason to lose!

Flynn's youth, better average & stickability gives him the advantage over Redmond, but he looks more like a #3 than a #6 given he doesn't bowl.

Ryder would be a better option at 5 or 6 & drop McCullum back to 6 or 7

Bell has had so many chances & appears to be a confidence driven player, his foot work is inadequate & he scores his runs at a lower level than required.

How is a hard one, he looks a very complete player, just hasn't gone on to score a big one when it's mattered, or even bat for 2 1/2 - 3 sessions.

Let's give him the Windies series to see if he can turn it around before the Indians arrive.

I do believe a big part of the problem is down to..

1. We play too much ODI cricket
    2. We won't get better at test cricket if we only get 2 match test series
    3. We don't play enough domestic 4 day cricket to produce the kind of players with the discipline to play long innings.
    4. We need more "A" tours, for the emerging/development sides in foreign conditions

None of these problems can be solved overnight unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Redmond has had his chances, just like Matthew Bell has, time to try someone with domestic form in our conditions.

Tim MacIntosh can bat for long periods, & hopefully in him we have another Wright/Richardson type opener...

The likely side to face the Windies looks interesting...

Could look something like this...( with 6* lefties )

J How
    T MacIntosh*
    J Ryder*
    R Taylor
    B McCullum
    D Flynn*
    J Oram*
    D Vettori*
    J Franklin*
    I O'Brien
    M Gillespie/J Patel

Chris Martin & Tim Southee can feel a little aggrieved, Martin bowled well in Australia without success, & Southee is a talent who has a big future in the Black Caps set up.

I admire the new coach for stamping his mark & picking form players in MacIntosh, Gillespie & Franklin...(Martin & Southee bowled alot of overs v Bangladesh & Australia, & may need a rest/game back in the domestic comp.

Lets see if we can win the Test series & retain the 7th spot.

Shame the name S Bond no longer appears in the NZ side, we need to develope another 150kph accurate bowler
    I don't think the new coach is involved in the selections. Biggest issue as I see it with the selection changes is that nobody seems to stand out above anyone else.

I say recall Sinclair .... got a century yesterday ..... the revolving door must be coming around his way again

I say recall Sinclair .... got a century yesterday ..... the revolving door must be coming around his way again
    If Flynn is moved up to #3, then it's him v Sinclair & Fulton

Advanced Member

He's had enough chances - surely there must be a up & comer around the country who deserves a go.

If the batsmen fail against the Windes, where to from there??