sharetrader
Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 750

Thread: Cricket

  1. #1
    Member skeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    252

    Default Cricket

    Anyone following the black caps?? What a day it has been so far, and to think we were completely written off before the test had started, btw dont get me wrong I not think a victory is in sight.... yet!
    "Gold is money, everything else is credit"- J.P. Morgan

  2. #2
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    Anyone following the black caps?? What a day it has been so far, and to think we were completely written off before the test had started, btw dont get me wrong I not think a victory is in sight.... yet!
    Yup how good was Ryder a wicket before tea (Haddin) & then clean bowls "Pup" on 98
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

  3. #3
    slow learner
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Don't forget it is a very green wicket for Brisbane and first up bowlers were going to do well, so happy we won the toss!

  4. #4
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Financially dependant View Post
    Don't forget it is a very green wicket for Brisbane and first up bowlers were going to do well, so happy we won the toss!
    Johnson & Clark will swing it tomorrow, if the openers can see off the new ball & in particular Lee, NZ should have a 1st innings lead!
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Te Puke, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    347

    Default

    yes well done the blackcaps today. But they need to be positive in their approach tomorrow. Need to see off the new ball and then go for it. They will not be out there long so should try to score as fast as possible. The pitch will be difficult till day 3 so get the runs then try to bowl out Aussie while there is still life in the pitch then hopefully day 4 and 5 they get a mangable total

  6. #6
    Muppet Placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lower Hutt, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevl View Post
    yes well done the blackcaps today. But they need to be positive in their approach tomorrow. Need to see off the new ball and then go for it. They will not be out there long so should try to score as fast as possible. The pitch will be difficult till day 3 so get the runs then try to bowl out Aussie while there is still life in the pitch then hopefully day 4 and 5 they get a mangable total
    Are you guys cheering now? If our batsmen knuckle down they can score competitive totals - the problem I see is the inability of our bowlers to take 20 wickets - and you won't win matches unless you dismiss the other side twice.

    Aussies are wounded after the Indian loss and will want to turn up the heat at home - particularly against the pop-gun Kiwis.

    I fear this tour we will be steamrollered. A good tour to be injured for...
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Te Puke, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    347

    Default

    I seem to think that it went exactly as I feared. No enough runs and failed to get that wicket of Katich so not giving themselves a chance in the last innings. Still Day 1 was nice and shows the great value of a 5 day match where you can make up for a bad day.

  8. #8
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    23,716

    Default

    Redmond does best of the top order tn the Adelaide test and then gets dropped

    Maybe it runs in the family ..... Dad played one test with a scintilaatting century and a 50 and never played another

    Whose this McIntosh anyway?

    And how can we develop talent like Southee when he never knows when he's in or out of the team ..... NZ conditions could easily see him repeat what he did at Brisbane to Aussies

  9. #9
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Redmond does best of the top order tn the Adelaide test and then gets dropped

    Maybe it runs in the family ..... Dad played one test with a scintilaatting century and a 50 and never played another

    Whose this McIntosh anyway?

    And how can we develop talent like Southee when he never knows when he's in or out of the team ..... NZ conditions could easily see him repeat what he did at Brisbane to Aussies
    Redmond has had his chances, just like Matthew Bell has, time to try someone with domestic form in our conditions.

    Tim MacIntosh can bat for long periods, & hopefully in him we have another Wright/Richardson type opener...

    The likely side to face the Windies looks interesting...

    Could look something like this...( with 6* lefties )

    J How
    T MacIntosh*
    J Ryder*
    R Taylor
    B McCullum
    D Flynn*
    J Oram*
    D Vettori*
    J Franklin*
    I O'Brien
    M Gillespie/J Patel

    Chris Martin & Tim Southee can feel a little aggrieved, Martin bowled well in Australia without success, & Southee is a talent who has a big future in the Black Caps set up.

    I admire the new coach for stamping his mark & picking form players in MacIntosh, Gillespie & Franklin...(Martin & Southee bowled alot of overs v Bangladesh & Australia, & may need a rest/game back in the domestic comp.

    Lets see if we can win the Test series & retain the 7th spot.

    Shame the name S Bond no longer appears in the NZ side, we need to develope another 150kph accurate bowler
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

  10. #10
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    23,716

    Default

    If Redmond had his chance how long do we perservere with Flynn then ....same number of games and redmend has scored more runs and in 12 tests Flynn hasn;t even got to 50

    And we peservere with How .... miserable average of 23 in 30 innings is not the start we want.

    Pity we don't perservere with the likes of Bell ... in and out and one of the most prolific scorers in NZ domestic credit ..... better than McIntosh probably ... but in his late 20's McIntosh might be able to step up better than the other experiments we have tried .... how many failures will he be allowed

    Pity Martin can't extend his world record

    But one thing is certain .... NZ will have 1 terrible session in each test match

  11. #11
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    If Redmond had his chance how long do we perservere with Flynn then ....same number of games and redmend has scored more runs and in 12 tests Flynn hasn;t even got to 50

    And we peservere with How .... miserable average of 23 in 30 innings is not the start we want.

    Pity we don't perservere with the likes of Bell ... in and out and one of the most prolific scorers in NZ domestic credit ..... better than McIntosh probably ... but in his late 20's McIntosh might be able to step up better than the other experiments we have tried .... how many failures will he be allowed

    Pity Martin can't extend his world record

    But one thing is certain .... NZ will have 1 terrible session in each test match
    I agree, they have set themselves up v England both home & away to win & yet somehow found a reason to lose!

    Flynn's youth, better average & stickability gives him the advantage over Redmond, but he looks more like a #3 than a #6 given he doesn't bowl.

    Ryder would be a better option at 5 or 6 & drop McCullum back to 6 or 7

    Bell has had so many chances & appears to be a confidence driven player, his foot work is inadequate & he scores his runs at a lower level than required.

    How is a hard one, he looks a very complete player, just hasn't gone on to score a big one when it's mattered, or even bat for 2 1/2 - 3 sessions.

    Let's give him the Windies series to see if he can turn it around before the Indians arrive.

    I do believe a big part of the problem is down to..

    1. We play too much ODI cricket
    2. We won't get better at test cricket if we only get 2 match test series
    3. We don't play enough domestic 4 day cricket to produce the kind of players with the discipline to play long innings.
    4. We need more "A" tours, for the emerging/development sides in foreign conditions

    None of these problems can be solved overnight unfortunately
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Redmond has had his chances, just like Matthew Bell has, time to try someone with domestic form in our conditions.

    Tim MacIntosh can bat for long periods, & hopefully in him we have another Wright/Richardson type opener...

    The likely side to face the Windies looks interesting...

    Could look something like this...( with 6* lefties )

    J How
    T MacIntosh*
    J Ryder*
    R Taylor
    B McCullum
    D Flynn*
    J Oram*
    D Vettori*
    J Franklin*
    I O'Brien
    M Gillespie/J Patel

    Chris Martin & Tim Southee can feel a little aggrieved, Martin bowled well in Australia without success, & Southee is a talent who has a big future in the Black Caps set up.

    I admire the new coach for stamping his mark & picking form players in MacIntosh, Gillespie & Franklin...(Martin & Southee bowled alot of overs v Bangladesh & Australia, & may need a rest/game back in the domestic comp.

    Lets see if we can win the Test series & retain the 7th spot.

    Shame the name S Bond no longer appears in the NZ side, we need to develope another 150kph accurate bowler
    I don't think the new coach is involved in the selections. Biggest issue as I see it with the selection changes is that nobody seems to stand out above anyone else.

  13. #13
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    23,716

    Default

    I say recall Sinclair .... got a century yesterday ..... the revolving door must be coming around his way again

  14. #14
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I say recall Sinclair .... got a century yesterday ..... the revolving door must be coming around his way again
    If Flynn is moved up to #3, then it's him v Sinclair & Fulton
    Disc holding - ELS, IGO, NMT, SES

  15. #15
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I say recall Sinclair .... got a century yesterday ..... the revolving door must be coming around his way again
    He's had enough chances - surely there must be a up & comer around the country who deserves a go.

    If the batsmen fail against the Windes, where to from there??

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •