sharetrader
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default For those interested in gold stocks

I thought it might be fun to open a thread specifically on gold stocks - definitely not meant to be a trading thread, more of a swapping ideas, tips and points of view on the fundamentals thread.

I'll start by saying that gold stocks seem to be really moving again. Many of the majors have moved 60% to 85% off their lows in just the past 30 days . . . is anyone out there noticing this trend?

Attachment 1099
    Last edited by Aussie; 19-12-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Hate spelling errors and typos

Ditto with CXC which has doubled and posted a H&S bottom. Boy my strategy of waiting for pullbacks in the Eur/usd and CXC.AX has cost me big time this week...
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    Ditto with CXC which has doubled and posted a H&S bottom . . .
    AMR, personally, COEUR D'ALENE is not one my favorites. I owned CDE last year when it was about $4.90 and managed to get out a month or so later before I lost my shirt.

My best performing stock by a mile has been Canadian miner Goldcorp (NYSE:GG). Closely followed by Kinross and Agnico-Eagle. I hold quite a bit of Yamana gold (NYSE:AUY) but have been disappointed by it's overall performance. I think it has been the traders play stock. The company is great, is one of the lowest cost producer in the world and has some fantastic properties - it should be valued far, far higher that 6 and change.

I am expecting there to be a great deal of interest in the gold miners from institutions in 2009 as the gold price rises against the backdrop of money falling from the skies. The Jr's are beyond cheap.
    Last edited by Aussie; 18-12-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Hi Aussie, I am in Lihir Gold ...LGL... which has had a good run up lately. It is no longer just a one mine company, probably the second biggest gold miner on the ASX now.
    And for a punt on the penny stocks look at Catalpa....CAH. It was formerly Westonia. With an extensive drill program at Westonia in WA they have had positive results lately. At this stage it is exploration, but should go OK when [and if] they start mining.

Interesting thread idea Aussie.

I'm not trading any gold stocks presently, but certainly very interested.

Perhaps when anyone posts they can also say why they like the stock so much. Fundamentals, divi's, etc.

Some of the older serving forum members may remember the days when we constantly day traded Lihir and Mincor (about 16c at the time). Plus a few others that Miner was knowledgeable about.

rgds - arco

arco, glad you are interested, I'm not a trader but I'm very interested in peoples differing takes on gold stocks whether they are in NZ, Australia or elsewhere.

I am mostly invested in Canadian miners Goldcorp, Agnico-Eagle, Kinross and Yamana. I also hold Silver Wheaton, new producer Minefinders, ECU Silver and handful of decent Jr's that have been fairly walloped! But what the heck . . . I ain't selling, I know that they are the cheapest form of gold in the ground and one day will be 10 or 20 baggers.

Cool If gold goes over $2000oz NZ I'll be stoked

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    arco, glad you are interested, I'm not a trader but I'm very interested in peoples differing takes on gold stocks whether they are in NZ, Australia or elsewhere.

I am mostly invested in Canadian miners Goldcorp, Agnico-Eagle, Kinross and Yamana. I also hold Silver Wheaton, new producer Minefinders, ECU Silver and handful of decent Jr's that have been fairly walloped! But what the heck . . . I ain't selling, I know that they are the cheapest form of gold in the ground and one day will be 10 or 20 baggers.
    Great post Aussie was think about doing the same My main Gold stock atm is -OGC which has lost a massive amount of market value over the last couple years still I think the core of OGC operations NZ will help put OGC back in favour certainly a longer term hold but one that will richly reward the brave-OGC potential within 2-3yrs could be producing over 400,000oz gold per ann with little dept,hedges & lowering costs well under $500usd oz with copper credits

OGC's Marketcap-30-33mill Dept-166mill hedging-241,47oz (planned to be closed out by DEC 2010)

From the OGC post-
    was just talking with Darran from OGC sounds like one of their top 10 holder-Ospraie- (once the world's largest commodities hedge fund) has been the major seller of OGC for a while -Sounds like we could have some NZ exploration results out early next year
    As for JV partners nothing likely in the short-term not with the current credit woes
    As for hedging more to be paid-off over the next year ,Didipio costing 2mill per year to put on hold,NZ production looking at 260k-275k ,costs coming down,hedges reduced ....overall OGC sound like keeping focus on NZ operation's
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Cool

2 other goldies I'm looking atm -IGR,IAU

would be great to hear want other ST's are holding or looking at buying in the gold sector
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Hi Aussie, I am in Lihir Gold ...LGL... which has had a good run up lately. It is no longer just a one mine company, probably the second biggest gold miner on the ASX now.
    And for a punt on the penny stocks look at Catalpa....CAH. It was formerly Westonia. With an extensive drill program at Westonia in WA they have had positive results lately. At this stage it is exploration, but should go OK when [and if] they start mining.
    airedale, I like Lihir.

It's interesting how the Aussie miners have reacted so positively to the recent USD rise in gold rather than the large AUD POG increase that was largely due to AUD currency devaluation/USD strength. I think this bodes EXTREMELY well for their future since the USD's current position is very tenuous to say the least. If gold gets to US$1,200 in '09 it says to me that these Aussie stocks will be HUGE gainers.

Newcrest has been on a tear in the last month . . . up 100% since the October low. I ask the question . . . is there ANY OTHER asset class that has produced these kind of results in the past 12 months? LOL

Attachment 1100

IGR, SLR and HTM - all very cheap and each at different stages, risk/reward etc.