sharetrader
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: China Shares

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zyreon View Post
    Not sure what stocks to buy exactly, but came across a news website on the Chinese economy: www.chinaeconomicscan.com they put out daily updates.. top 5 headlines etc. There was one thing on there that caught my eye about a chinese video game manufacturer planning to IPO next week. But yeah, with global growth forecast to be -1.5%? and China at about 6.5% maybe it is a good place to put your money!
    So that IPO happened, Changyou.com they priced at at the top end of the range at $16, and it closed fully subscribed - very positive event given the current environment. It closed on the NASDAQ at about $19.40 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CYOU so a good outcome there. SOHU still holds 71% of them... http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SOHU

Quote Originally Posted by zyreon View Post
    So that IPO happened, Changyou.com they priced at at the top end of the range at $16, and it closed fully subscribed - very positive event given the current environment. It closed on the NASDAQ at about $19.40 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CYOU so a good outcome there. SOHU still holds 71% of them... http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SOHU
    Good on ya Zyreon.

If there are more IPOs like this one, pls do let us know.

Cheers mate.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Anyone here invests offshore?

Far better gains in overseas stock than local. China stocks have been going gang busters lately.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    Anyone here invests offshore?

Far better gains in overseas stock than local. China stocks have been going gang busters lately.
    Check out ASX:AGF - a fund that tracks the Chinese market

Toulouse-Lucern was into them a while back

Yeah, some of my Asian shares are booming.

Much more exciting than the NZ blue chip stocks with the exception of NPX... LOL

Hey Bel, which country is that stock and company name?

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    BIDU ... Now good for over a 100% gain in just six months ...
    Near identical performance(6 month, 2 year) to the two US listed Chinese stocks I've posted on before:

SNDA : Shanda Interactive

ADY : American Dairy

They both outperformed Baidu by a healthy margin on the 1 year.

I am MORE than happy to sit in cash-like for now.

Everyone's surely heard of MAD(Mutual Assured Destruction).

MEAD(Mutual Economic Assured Destruction) is the new MAD!

While it seems trade between the US/China is declining......I don't see how they will avert the next global leg down triggered by:

Commercial Real Estate(already collapsing)

Pensions....defined benefit pensions both corporate, and local/state government(starting to get the speed wobbles)

My long-term, multi-decade investment strategy will include anywhere from 25-40% allocation in a China-focused Asia.

But not until I feel we have a firm foundation for "Monopoly 2.0".

I'm hearing some worrying anecdotal information out of China.

It continues to be a very volatile trading environment...and I'm not much of a trader.

I'm bullish on China long-term....but I think they have a lot to worry about over the next 5-10 years......but a fair bit less so than US/UK/EU.

Once my inflation hedging strategy has finished playing out and I'm ready to dive in, China will be a key focus....but not until then.

Just my 0.02c

i dont have access to China market directly..but have access to Singapore/HK shares which l subscribed to when I was working there..

the site I go to www.poems.com.sg

I wanted exposure to China and India and so used USA based ETFs trading on NYSE - which used to be available through the old National Bank/First Capital share broking set up. The new people don't like to do that, which is a shame.

I managed to buy in when the NZD was strong and so am happy with my long-term investment. I like the fact that ETFs/index trackers have low costs/fees. I am allergic to all sorts of financial managers/advisers who take money without adding value. They make me come out in big blotches of poverty and bitterness.

Everything I read about financial planning tells me to look outside of little old New Zealand and spread your investments- but it seems really difficult to actually invest in a focussed international fund that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US ETFs sort of offer that, but then life becomes complicated with taxation issues - and the need for full service brokers to actually trade.

We have the SMART products on the NZX already. It would be neat if they could expand that family to provide focussed global exposure in baskets of shares in large cap India, or energy focussed China, or commodities based in Africa, or whatever.

Couldn't Mark Weldon do a deal with some US based ETFs to have them listed on the NZX? And who knows, perhaps the tide would turn, and Aussie dollars would start flow into the NZ Exchange?
    Last edited by Bouncerdog; 08-06-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Incorrect smelling

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncerdog View Post
    I wanted exposure to China and India and so used USA based ETFs trading on NYSE - which used to be available through the old National Bank/First Capital share broking set up. The new people don't like to do that, which is a shame.

I managed to buy in when the NZD was strong and so am happy with my long-term investment. I like the fact that ETFs/index trackers have low costs/fees. I am allergic to all sorts of financial managers/advisers who take money without adding value. They make me come out in big blotches of poverty and bitterness.

Everything I read about financial planning tells me to look outside of little old New Zealand and spread your investments- but it seems really difficult to actually invest in a focussed international fund that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US ETFs sort of offer that, but then life becomes complicated with taxation issues - and the need for full service brokers to actually trade.

We have the SMART products on the NZX already. It would be neat if they could expand that family to provide focussed global exposure in baskets of shares in large cap India, or energy focussed China, or commodities based in Africa, or whatever.

Couldn't Mark Weldon do a deal with some US based ETFs to have them listed on the NZX? And who knows, perhaps the tide would turn, and Aussie dollars would start flow into the NZ Exchange?
    This is a very good post Bouncerdog. I hope you send a copy to Mark Wheldon.