sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: China Shares

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    See http://www.baidu.com/ ... its the chinese google ... Ask any chinese internet surfer and they'll mention it straightaway. Traded in the US.
    Doesnt google have search in the Chinese language?
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncerdog View Post
    I wanted exposure to China and India and so used USA based ETFs trading on NYSE - which used to be available through the old National Bank/First Capital share broking set up. The new people don't like to do that, which is a shame.

I managed to buy in when the NZD was strong and so am happy with my long-term investment. I like the fact that ETFs/index trackers have low costs/fees. I am allergic to all sorts of financial managers/advisers who take money without adding value. They make me come out in big blotches of poverty and bitterness.

Everything I read about financial planning tells me to look outside of little old New Zealand and spread your investments- but it seems really difficult to actually invest in a focussed international fund that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US ETFs sort of offer that, but then life becomes complicated with taxation issues - and the need for full service brokers to actually trade.

We have the SMART products on the NZX already. It would be neat if they could expand that family to provide focussed global exposure in baskets of shares in large cap India, or energy focussed China, or commodities based in Africa, or whatever.

Couldn't Mark Weldon do a deal with some US based ETFs to have them listed on the NZX? And who knows, perhaps the tide would turn, and Aussie dollars would start flow into the NZ Exchange?
    But wouldn't that open the floodgate to easy offshore investment options?

Wouldn't that magnify the "Sword of Damacles" hanging over our collective NZ heads in the form of already insufficient domestic savings/investment?

Wouldn't that possibly result in further thinning out of the NZX by way of more attractive foreign competition?

Wasn't the whole Cullen led debacle of taxing UNREALIZED gains from foreign investment a means to scare money towards NZ options and away from foreign options?

I would love to see low cost domestic and foreign ETF options available locally, but I'm not confident it's in the best interest of the powers that be for the slowly growing pot of Kiwisaver money to leave NZ and avoid local ticket clipping.

Just my pessimistic 0.02c

All very good points.

Funny how we moan about EU and USA dairy subsidies when we have our own form of investment protectionism in place here in NZ.

“I would love to see low cost domestic and foreign ETF options available locally” .

So why not? How hard can it be to make that happen? Market-led product development.

Must be a bunch of entrepeneurs and investors who could put that together. Surely plenty of financially savvy individuals out there looking for opportunities after all those finance companies went belly up.

I’d buy a few shares in it.

Interesting thread - my first post so you guys with thousands of posts be gentle!!

I'm bullish on China but like others more for the medium to long term. My question though is when investing from NZ what view are you taking on the currrency exposure NZD/CNY? Seems to me that longer term we should see the Yuan stronger (superficial analysis based on my perception of China getting relatively stronger economically!) If so then that would act to accelerate any direct gains from holdings in China the earlier the investment is made?

Am I on track here?

Cheers
    CT
    Last edited by CycleTrader; 10-06-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typo

Bouncerdog... try CMC markets. They have international stocks at a very low brokerage rate. Would be very careful with CFDs especially if you are a novice investor. Would recommend you get to know the product very well before investing real cash.

Cycletrader... I am assuming the Chinese Yuan to be the main focus in the future. China is pushing to move out of the USD and into either using the Yuan or another form of a single currency. China have already signed deals with a number of countries to trade in the Yuan and not the USD. I have money in Hong Kong dollar, cos if the Yuan was to float and depegged from the USD it will also benefit the HK dollar.
    Last edited by Dr_Who; 10-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Dr Who - Thanks for that.

I'll have a look at CMC. And yes, I am very cautious about CFDs, margin trading, geared investment or whatever other term is given to things that I know very little about and find a bit scary...

I guess I am an old novice

Most brokers here don't offer the Yuan. There was one on the waterfront in Auckland who were doing them....

In any case long term "carry trades" don't work as CFDs because the broker takes a bite out of the interest rates on each side.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Cheers Dr Who & AMR

So basically, like investment in any foreign shares if you expect that counties currency to strengthen relative to NZ (eg Yuan) then that gives you an extra reason to consider such an investment if your ultimate goal is NZ income and capital appreciation in NZ$? My focus being on medium/long term rather than trading.

Probably seems sefl evident but early/novice days for me and I do appreciate the wisdom (& wit) on the forum.

Cheers
    CT

Default Brilliant idea

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncerdog View Post
    I wanted exposure to China and India and so used USA based ETFs trading on NYSE - which used to be available through the old National Bank/First Capital share broking set up. The new people don't like to do that, which is a shame.

I managed to buy in when the NZD was strong and so am happy with my long-term investment. I like the fact that ETFs/index trackers have low costs/fees. I am allergic to all sorts of financial managers/advisers who take money without adding value. They make me come out in big blotches of poverty and bitterness.

Everything I read about financial planning tells me to look outside of little old New Zealand and spread your investments- but it seems really difficult to actually invest in a focussed international fund that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US ETFs sort of offer that, but then life becomes complicated with taxation issues - and the need for full service brokers to actually trade.

We have the SMART products on the NZX already. It would be neat if they could expand that family to provide focussed global exposure in baskets of shares in large cap India, or energy focussed China, or commodities based in Africa, or whatever.

Couldn't Mark Weldon do a deal with some US based ETFs to have them listed on the NZX? And who knows, perhaps the tide would turn, and Aussie dollars would start flow into the NZ Exchange?
    That'll bring some of my funds back to NZ, and NZX can happily have their cut. At the moment they are getting bugger all from me.

Senior Member Toulouse - Luzern's Avatar

Smile Investing in China on the ASX

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Check out ASX:AGF - a fund that tracks the Chinese market

Toulouse-Lucern was into them a while back
    I exited ASX.AGF early in the downturn.

Now we are on the up again...

ASX iShares are an option for offshore investment component of a portfolio
    You can invest in several indexes including China ASX.IZZ.

I will send a link on current performance in following post.

I currently hold:
    ASX.IHK Hong Kong
    ASX.ISG Singapore

DB SuperChart 6 month comparison of iShares IZZ and AGF show similar % outcomes