sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mentor wanted

Always learning

That's what I'm after Hoop, precious gems like those 12!

As similar to a survivor of a near drowning ...I knew I had to jump back into the water before I developed a phobia.... 35 years on...yep jumping back in was the best move....even though I have since suffered a few major disasters many self inflected by ignoring ones own discipline it is the success one gains which makes your self -esteem grow.
    precisely! and I know for a fact I will encounter my own failures, but just like I've been forewarned & forarmed, it's how I deal with it that will make the difference. I've been burnt by others but I'm not going to let that keep me out of the kitchen. I just want to cook my own meals from now on. I look forward to discovering myself more along this journey too!

Cheers Hoop, thanks for sharing. Traders may be crazy but i've found many to be generous and caring too.

Always learning

Wow, more pearls

Like to trade. People do best at things they really enjoy doing. Trading is no exception. That’s because, like anything, trading requires time and effort, and it’s easier to be committed if you’re truly passionate about what you’re doing. Good traders genuinely enjoy it.
    Couldn't agree more, I'm really passionate about golf and I'm going to relate the fact that I didn't become a 2 Handicap in a matter of months. It took about 3 years from starting at age 13. Since then I've been able to maintain that just by practise, new equipment every 3-5 years, practise, lessons, remaining passionate and did I mention practise?
    Of course when it comes to a big day (tournament) or in trading, real money, things don't always go as perfectly as practised but you CANNOT change your swing half way through a round, you might make some rythmn adjustments or focus more mentally but the fundamental technique must be repeated. This is like having trading rules, you can't change them half way through a trade, you might refine things for the next trade but you have to stick to the fundamental rules.

Am I on the right track AA?

Can't believe the enthusiastic and warm support I've got by asking for help. I'm mindful of the warnings too though :-)

Always learning

You are a new king to these virgin lands, only recently you landed on these shores, the rules you set in place will dictate whether your colony survives or not.

Go forth and conquer
    Mate, that's poetry to my ears

outspoken, the analogy with sport is a good one. No-one gets to be the best in sport by accident. Same goes with investing.

I'm reminded of an Arnold Palmer quote, to the effect "people say I'm the luckiest person in sports. But you know what? The more I practice, the luckier I get".
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Always learning

"The more I practice, the luckier I get"
    I love that quote, use it all the time. It was Gary Player actually, but point taken!

i like the way your going about things and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.
    i live in your neck of the woods and have a lot of technical analysis books im happy to lend to you , if you promise to look after them.

Always learning

Thank-you dumass, for the nice comment and the generous offer.

I'm still getting through an encyclopedia, a psychology of trading and a candlestick charting lesson. So if my brain isn't fried in the process can I come back to you on that?
    No question the books will be back with you in the same condition.

yeh no worries , have an excellent book by steve nison , most would say a biblical text on candlesticks

I will tell you what to do if you promise to obey my rules.
    !, only communication between us is on share trader for all to see.
    2, You must disclose your buy price within 24 hrs of buying.
    3, You must disclose your sell price within 24 hrs of selling.
    4, you must disclose your real name as i do.
    5, You must disclose your intended portfolio budget.
    6, you must meet your tax liabilities in an honest manner.
    7, If i say dont buy that means sit on the side lines and wait.
    8, If you break any of the above rules or object to any one of them then count me out.
    Macdunk
    hey outspoken,
    Give this mackdunk a flick......

he runs this show as if it were an army camp...

his rules are too tough too follow...
    pity he does not follow his own advice...
    he bought CUE at 14.5cent average, and it fell to as low at 9.8cents (I think)... which would have had him stopped out no prob with his 5% stop losses, which he always implements......
    and now he wont tell us his position.... yeeeeezzzz mackdunk......
    mackdunk is now in a catch twenty two... hahaha....
    hes funked if he does, hes funked if he does not....

outspoken, getting a mentor is a real good idea mate... ive got one...
    mentoring is alot more personal than online posting/plain general advice etc...
    its to do with the core of trading, and the ideas behind it... maybe some stock picks... make sure your mentor knows more than you...

mentoring is not about silly things like posting your name, and disclosing when you buy and sell...and only communicating on the threads...
    mackdunk has got it wrong this time...

.^sc
    Last edited by Crypto Crude; 20-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Nakamoto means of Central origin ...

Always learning

Cheers Shrewd, I see you and mackdunk giving each other the razz from time to time.

outspoken, getting a mentor is a real good idea mate... ive got one...
    mentoring is alot more personal than online posting/plain general advice etc...
    its to do with the core of trading, and the ideas behind it... maybe some stock picks... make sure your mentor knows more than you...
    I reckon eventually I'll find the right person, but for now I'm appreciative of the specifics I've been given so far.
    I also reckon I've got all I need now, to start with anyway, no amount of reading, learning, hypothetical training, paper trading I'm starting will be as good as chucking some real money at it and experiencing the emotion (fear/greed) and excitement of starting the journey. As long as I implement religiously my rules / system I should be fine. I dont expect to place my first trade for probably another 2-3 weeks.

Personal contact will be cool too though so I'll go to the sharetrader meetings and keep pounding the boards, I'll probably use this thread to give snapshots of my progress too then you guys can say "oh yeah, been there, done that!" lol
    Last edited by outspoken; 20-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.