sharetrader
Page 154 of 176 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2633
    Guru

Makes one wonder who would complain about a post of Beagle's. He is very open with his opinions but never offensive. There is always the ignore function available if you wish to use it.

Last edited by minimoke; 22-06-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I cant imagine what it was he said to get banned - I cant ever recall him being offensive. And certainly nothing like suggesting posters get line up and treated like genocidal mass murderers.

It seems STMOD's have seen JTs post. Assuming it meets their standards of forum posting and they let it stay with no consequences on the Poster I think its fair to say that is the bar set for post content. Anything similar or above gets to stay with no attention from the Mods.

I dont use the "ignore" button - I think it better to see all content and form a view. It would be a bit hard to follow a discussion if one part is missing
    I'm with you on this one mini, I never complain about a post and think that "sunlight is the best disinfectant". I try not to use the ignore button either.

With a complain type regulatory system you get a mismatch and skewed idea of who is "posting or behaving badly" because often those that complain have a political (using that term in the widest sense) agenda.

And before people forget, you are the one choosing taking offence, you can also choose not to take offence.

Hey mini — we’ve now got a climate emergency and an ecological emergency in Wellington

Based on Chch experience anything I should do
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

–Benjamin Graham”

Update Ready To Install

Great to see Wellington taking responsibility , like Auckland and others about accepting climate change and DOING something about it.Hats off.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I cant imagine what it was he said to get banned - I cant ever recall him being offensive. And certainly nothing like suggesting posters get line up and treated like genocidal mass murderers.

It seems STMOD's have seen JTs post. Assuming it meets their standards of forum posting and they let it stay with no consequences on the Poster I think its fair to say that is the bar set for post content. Anything similar or above gets to stay with no attention from the Mods.

I dont use the "ignore" button - I think it better to see all content and form a view. It would be a bit hard to follow a discussion if one part is missing
    haha he can be... although I don't take offensive and it fair to say some of us are worse..especially on the off market forum...I got a warning for callings someone they are thinking like an accountant..so it does vary around here..requires a complaint me suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Great to see Wellington taking responsibility , like Auckland and others about accepting climate change and DOING something about it.Hats off.
    How long before they use it as an excuse to whack another levy on your rates? Mark my words...this is a tax creation heaven to gouge the public. But we all know the remedy right? Sell carbon credits to some mega-industrialist in Europe or the US so that they can burn as much carbon as they like. Perfectly good farms in Northland are being planted in pine trees thanks to Shane's trough fund and carbon trading. Unintended consequences,... only sometimes. Tax gouging coming up...definitely. Remember govt knows how to spend your money better than you do.

Update Ready To Install

Tree planting is going well.
    More farms have been converted from forestry to farms, just have a look around taupo state hi way for one. You sound like a denialist, if you are fair enough, a denialist cant conceive of this planet slowly cooking ,oceans rising etc. We are all going to have to contribute i believe to save this earth.

Patrick Moore - ex Greenpeace has got it spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjlmFr4FMvI

We could just build electric cars
    https://interestingengineering.com/g...latory-credits

Advanced Member

Tree planting is going well.
    More farms have been converted from forestry to farms, just have a look around taupo state hi way for one. You sound like a denialist, if you are fair enough, a denialist cant conceive of this planet slowly cooking ,oceans rising etc. We are all going to have to contribute i believe to save this earth.
    Ironic isn't it, after all those forests they chopped down a few years ago, and turned into dairy farms - many for Landcorp.

Planting trees willy-nilly isn't necessarily the answer to all of our ills - heavy cost in roading (paid by ratepayers), local communities devoid of people, issues post logging with scrag/runoff, and then also the downstream employment. Meat & dairy get criticized for exporting commodities, but what do we do with logs? Most of them are exported whole. Also because of the carbon credits, it actually means that risk that some will never get cut down.

Tree planting needs to be in the right place, right trees for the right purpose - and not just carbon farming. Rellies have mine have just sold their farm to trees - probably 10-20% more than as a sheep/beef farm. Plenty of area good for trees, but also some good land.

When it comes to ag in NZ, there are a number of conundrums that I have:

- Population continues to increase - they need fed.
    - Increasing wealth in developing countries - and traditionally when that happens they consume more protein. Can't really say, "no, you can't eat meat because we are and you'll kill the planet".
    - Food is now cheaper than ever before as % of household income
    - Economies and companies have a fixation with growth - which typically consumes more resources
    - Estimates are global meat consumption forecast to increase 15% by 2027.
    - Very difficult for farmers to decrease carbon, unless by dropping production. Estimates can decrease by up to 10% by management and selective breeding.
    - Not just about carbon, but also water, air, soil, biodiversity, marine health etc.
    - NZ extensive, natural farming vs industrial farming - ie compared to NZ, say farming chicken or pork has less carbon output, but is unnatural, indoor based, animal welfare concerns, more intervention etc. But much better conversion of feed to protein.
    - NZ biggest exporters - ie tourism, meat, dairy - if you believe carbon is warming the planet, are all inherently unsustainable.
    - For all these 3, if we look at emissions, it is all from overseas people. Meat/dairy, 90% is consumed overseas. If we have the carbon cost, it would be like saying to Saudi that they have all the carbon cost for the oil they export.
    - Also need to compare products for their nutritional value, not just carbon. Like saying beer has a way less carbon footprint to milk, but you wouldn't feed to growing kids for nutrition. (ok probably not the best example), but sub in coke for beer.
    - Alt Milk & Alt Meat needs to be looked at in terms of resource use - and then nutritional value.
    - Man is inherently a user of resources. We don't add a lot to the planet.
    - Some land better for trees, some land better for sheep/beef/dairy and some better for crops. The decision who does what is made at an individual farmer level for what is best for them, not what is best in the bigger picture.
    - Who pays??

</Rant>

I personally think that if you believe that we are going to stop global warming by emitting less carbon, then I think it is rapidly getting too late, as nowhere near a big enough behavior change to date or there are not enough realistic alternatives are workable and palatable enough for populations/governments.

I'll go crawl back under my rock.

Update Ready To Install

Thanks for sharing. I too am pessimistic atpit but note urgency is growing around the world and action is increasing, more doing then denying.
    Even little things like i bought some sausages yest from PakNsavewith 25% pea or beetroot in them(have yet to sample) help educate and change habits.

Advanced Member

Thanks for sharing. I too am pessimistic atpit but note urgency is growing around the world and action is increasing, more doing then denying.
    Even little things like i bought some sausages yest from PakNsavewith 25% pea or beetroot in them(have yet to sample) help educate and change habits.
    I struggle to rationalize some things. I'm certainly not in love with a lot of things dairy (except A2), but some of these alternates need to be looked at also. ie Air NZ championing the Impossible Burger last year (what a complete f...…. joke) but it contains GMO - if that is your thing.

Or almond milk - basically just water with the equivalent of 20-25 almonds. Growing almonds uses 10% of the water in California!!

I'm bit in the middle when it comes to climate change etc - not a denier but nor a zealot either. But believe it makes sense to burn less fossil fuel and generally do what you can to conserve all resources.

Drops become puddles, puddles become rivers, rivers become lakes, lakes become oceans.....

Advanced Member

Could just eat Sizzlers! They aren't in the butchery cabinet as don't have enough meat to be defined as sausages!!