sharetrader
Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144
Results 2,861 to 2,879 of 2879
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Both are examples of quite inappropriate extrapolations of known data sets without understanding the complete system.

Your captain might be an expert for a (on a global perspective) guite small area of this globe and he might know about the weather of the last 40 years in this area (a quite minute time frame in global terms. While it is great to hear that he is still able to catch all the fish he wants, many other people on this globe are not so lucky anymore.

Extrapolating his (in a global perspective) clearly insufficient data set in isolation on "global" climate change is clearly inappropriate.

COVID-19:

Many people extrapolated what what might happen with COVID-19 based on their previous experience with the Flu, with SARS, with MERS. While it could have been a lucky guess, as we know now - it was just a quite inappropriate extrapolation.

That's all ... just an example.
    If travels are allowed again in April-May 2021, I will go back to the little uninhabited island just south of the Artcile Circle where my family have a "bach". I go there to collect the eider down once the eiders leave with their chicks, safely protected by us like we have forever. On this island we have 64 species of foraging birds nesting, the biggest number of birds foraging to nest anywhere in the World. A normal part of this annual ritual is to be there with my now 84 year old uncle and we will go for a walk in the evening to the north side of the island and look at the ocean. With a healthy supply of Jagermeister and Aquavit. We will talk about his life on the island and growing up there with my grandfather, the first"greenie" I ever met, decades before anyone knew what that term meant . I will get up in the morning and get water from the well to make coffee on our oil fired cooker. No electricity, no cars, no running water. Just the sound of birds nesting, seas breaking on the shore, and him and I talking and unfortunately sometimes singing after a few drinks. 6 weeks later, if we are lucky, we will sit on that exact same spot watching the midnight sun sinking half way into the sea, before moving slowly westward and then start rising again.

You will say " Extrapolating his (in a global perspective) clearly insufficient data set in isolation on "global" climate change is clearly inappropriate." I say humbug.

Midnight 24 June 2015.jpg
    Last edited by iceman; 03-04-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If travels are allowed again in April-May 2021, I will go back to the little uninhabited island just south of the Artcile Circle where my family have a "bach". I go there to collect the eider down once the eiders leave with their chicks, safely protected by us like we have forever. On this island we have 64 species of foraging birds nesting, the biggest number of birds foraging to nest anywhere in the World. A normal part of this annual ritual is to be there with my now 84 year old uncle and we will go for a walk in the evening to the north side of the island and look at the ocean. With a healthy supply of Jagermeister and Aquavit. We will talk about his life on the island and growing up there with my grandfather, the first"greenie" I ever met, decades before anyone knew what that term meant . I will get up in the morning and get water from the well to make coffee on our oil fired cooker. No electricity, no cars, no running water. Just the sound of birds nesting, seas breaking on the shore, and him and I talking and unfortunately sometimes singing after a few drinks. 6 weeks later, if we are lucky, we will sit on that exact same spot watching the midnight sun sinking half way into the sea, before moving slowly westward and then start rising again.

You will say " Extrapolating his (in a global perspective) clearly insufficient data set in isolation on "global" climate change is clearly inappropriate." I say humbug.

Midnight 24 June 2015.jpg
    Thank you iceman. It is wonderful to read of the broad width of experience of posters. Those are truly special times with your uncle.

Banned

Iceman,
    Fukushima radiation is making it harder and harder for the 8 million species of animals and birds to survive...
    Enjoy that as much as you can species are dying out especially all down the west coast of USA...
    The oceans are heating up so fast in the last 10 years since fukushima...the nuclear radiation pouring out of Fukushima are hot particles... the water to cool the blown up reactors washes through out to sea at a rate of 1 million gallons of water per minute!!!..
    cc

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto Crude View Post
    Iceman,
    Fukushima radiation is making it harder and harder for the 8 million species of animals and birds to survive...
    Enjoy that as much as you can species are dying out especially all down the west coast of USA...
    The oceans are heating up so fast in the last 10 years since fukushima...the nuclear radiation pouring out of Fukushima are hot particles... the water to cool the blown up reactors washes through out to sea at a rate of 1 million gallons of water per minute!!!..
    cc
    So at the rate of 1 tenth of a squillionth of the flow of the Amazon then

Dilettante

Iceman,
    cc
    In 1999 American scientists predicted the North Pole would have no ice on it by 2008. The Norwegian Oceanic Institute ((I only know the Norwegian name Havforskningsinstituttet (HI) so not sure if this translation is correct)) that probably has most information on the Barent Sea, states that the sea temperature there has been steadily lowering for the last 5 years after rising for several decades before then. The temperatures there are now very similar to what they were in 1999 and the ice edge has been moving steadily southward. According to Randi Ingvaldsson from HI which has been measuring this for over 70 years, the sea temperature has been rising in the Barent Sea for the last 4 decades but that increase is now retreating for the last 5 or so years. "this seems to be part of the natural swings in temperatures that we have always had" he said. I'm sorry but I just do not buy that the ice in the North Atlantic or the Bearing Sea is at any level of crisis so Greta should just go back to school.
    I just want to reiterate that I am not denying climate change and most certainly believe we should all do whatever we can to reduce emissions and protect the environment any way possible, but I am tired of the rubbish being reported about ice levels in the Arctic.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-04-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Dilettante

Iceman,
    cc
    In 1999 American scientists predicted the North Pole would have no ice on it by 2008. The Norwegian Oceanic Institute ((I only know the Norwegian name Havforskningsinstituttet (HI) so not sure if this translation is correct)) that probably has most information on the Barent Sea, states that the sea temperature there has been steadily lowering for the last 5 years after rising for a number of years before then. The temperatures there are now very similar to what they were in 1999 and the ice edge has been moving steadily southward. According to Randi Ingvaldsson from HI which has been measuring this for over 70 years, the sea temperature has been rising in the Barent Sea for the last 4 decades but that increase is now retreating for the last 5 or so years. "this seems to be part of the natural swings in temperatures that we have always had" he said. I'm sorry but I just do not buy that the ice in the North Atlantic or the Bearing Sea is at any level of crisis so Greta should just go back to school.
    I just want to reiterate that I am not denying climate change and most certainly believe we should all do whatever we can to reduce emissions and protect the environment any way possible, but I am tired of the rubbish being reported about ice levels in the Arctic.

So it would appear, despite the global shutdown CO2 levels are increasing.
    How could that be happening?

https://esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/monthly.html

Banned

Paddles,
    Theres got to be a reason...
    The last 2 weeks of co2 emissions should be the least of our worries...
    If you remember,
    The previous summer was so so filthy hot we were all in undies... this last summer we just finished was so so cold late at nights it was the complete opposite of unreal proportions...
    Now sure we have all these swings...
    But the forests are burning more than ever before... aussie has been up in fire... South America is like never before...
    Things just are not right!!!!
    Global warming is not going away people it's just getting worse and worse while all you babble along like it doesnt exist...
    Things are not right !!! .....
    Let's just agree on that
    cc

Paddles,
    Theres got to be a reason...
    The last 2 weeks of co2 emissions should be the least of our worries...
    If you remember,
    The previous summer was so so filthy hot we were all in undies... this last summer we just finished was so so cold late at nights it was the complete opposite of unreal proportions...
    Now sure we have all these swings...
    But the forests are burning more than ever before... aussie has been up in fire... South America is like never before...
    Things just are not right!!!!
    Global warming is not going away people it's just getting worse and worse while all you babble along like it doesnt exist...
    Things are not right !!! .....
    Let's just agree on that
    cc
    I didn't say global warming is going away. Global warming is very real, the climate has gone from hot to cold and vise versa for billions of years. We are at currently at the tail end of Quaternary glaciation period which started about 2.6 billion years ago.

Banned

Well this is obviously something totally different to 2.6 billion years ago...
    This is man made since the industrial revolution one would have to think...
    All the smoke and by products of production from factories released into the atmosphere...
    We are not in this period of heat and then in a few thousand years or whatever Earth starting to cool down again...
    It just going to get more hotter and hotter and more crazy weather events and more out of control than ever before and there is no coming back from this unless we act fast... and we wont be...
    cc

There was much reduced ice in the arctic in 2008. My friend Malcolm Laird was lead scientist on a ship that went to the North pole at that time. They took a British swimmer who swam a kilometre at the pole to set a record. There was little ice there at all. The ice gets pushed around by the winds, and so on any particular shore there may be more or less ice observed.
    Summer ice (perennial ice) has reduced by 95% since the early 1980s. Commercial ships have started using the NorthWest Passage instead of going the long way round via the Panama Canal. The northern shore of Greenland is ice-free long enough to allow of mineral prospecting.
    I am disappointed in Google. The first four of the sites offered when searching 'Arctic Sea Ice' are Fake News Sites, and NASA is prevented from publishing their recent data by President Trump.
    Search on 'Perennial Ice in Arctic' and you get a truthful picture.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.

A great graphic here from Moana Loa where the global CO2 levels are monitored. The annual variation is of course the northern summer plant growth taking up CO2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYt...re=emb_rel_end

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A great graphic here from Moana Loa where the global CO2 levels are monitored. The annual variation is of course the northern summer plant growth taking up CO2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYt...re=emb_rel_end
    With forests being cut down at the rate of 2 sized football fields every second how long will this be sustainable to soak up that co2 and put out that oxygen?....
    cc

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I am disappointed in Google. The first four of the sites offered when searching 'Arctic Sea Ice' are Fake News Sites, and NASA is prevented from publishing their recent data by President Trump.
    Wow I did not realise that nsidc.org, climate.nasa.gov etc are fake news sites. Bit of a mind fcuk that one.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Wow I did not realise that nsidc.org, climate.nasa.gov etc are fake news sites. Bit of a mind fcuk that one.
    Yes how little we know blackcap

Guru

With forests being cut down at the rate of 2 sized football fields every second how long will this be sustainable to soak up that co2 and put out that oxygen?....
    cc
    If you look at the evidence, the earth is greening, forests are being cut down daily, but new forests are also being planted daily. The earth is a lot greener than it was 20 years ago. Thanks in part to CO2.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    If you look at the evidence, the earth is greening, forests are being cut down daily, but new forests are also being planted daily. The earth is a lot greener than it was 20 years ago. Thanks in part to CO2.
    Forests are being chopped down at an alarming rate... the rate that we are chopping down shrub is nearly unimaginable... the significance of new plantations is fairly tale talk, pie in the sky compared to the rate forests are disappearing...
    cc

Forests are being chopped down at an alarming rate... the rate that we are chopping down shrub is nearly unimaginable... the significance of new plantations is fairly tale talk, pie in the sky compared to the rate forests are disappearing...
    cc
    Right. - So we need to pump more CO2 back into the atmosphere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JAYAY View Post
    Right. - So we need to pump more CO2 back into the atmosphere.
    Sir... trees take in carbon and release oxygen...
    Yeah and wow that wouldn't even include the amount of trees that burnt all around the world either....
    Been major fires near Cherrnobyl 100km from Kiev... and that city or captial of the region has worst air quality in the world right now for captial city.!
    cc