sharetrader
Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    slow learner

Quote Originally Posted by funguspudding View Post
    We most definitely should not focus on reducing CO2 emissions through the ludicrous and costly schemes currently promoted by various bodies, and rationalised by unproven theories.
    I thought the Stern report made quite clear that doing nothing would cost more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_Review

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hiawatha View Post
    Yes. I'm not completely happy with the use of emissions trading schemes as a means of reducing CO2 emissions. I think the world should rather be taking steps to discourage automobile use and, perhaps, to encourage a move to a more vegetarian form of diet.
    hiawatha
    I suppose you're talking about the nonsensical cows farting theory. If you are you're more removed from reality than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    We've already exhausted peak oil on the other thread but the herd's moved on to new pastures.
    Even bermuda, the peak oil supremo seems to have capitulated.
    Matt Simmons has disappeared into the woodwork from being front page news last year so the crowd need to find something new.
    You go back in history, only a few years you'll see the crowd need a cause, the current one being climate change and global warming.

Omega
    Atomic weapons
    Apartheid
    ISO 9001
    Peak Oil
    Carless Days
    87 Sharemarket Crash

I asked my daughter whether not believing in global warming and climate change at school is an option. She told me that point of view is unacceptable.

Kiwis love a cause.

If there's more CO2, could have been natural causes e.g. volcanoes
    Back in the '80's there was something causing a worldwide mysterious abrasive effect on certain types of aircraft windscreens, this was finally tracked down to dust from a very large volcanic eruption in Mexico.
    Oil fields are still declining at the annual rate of 7% per year...it hasnt disappeared.

As for global warming..there is some emperical evidence to suggest there is a relationship. I guess we have to trust academics on this one huh Skol.

Its better to be preventive over something that 'could' be huge...
    By the way - it's upside_down, not upside_umop

I'm not sure whether farting is the culprit - I'm no biologist - but I have heard that livestock are a major source of methane emissions.
    hiawatha

around half of nz's emissions. methane is more concentrate than co2 in an 'emissions equivalent.'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by upside_umop View Post
    around half of nz's emissions. methane is more concentrate than co2 in an 'emissions equivalent.'
    You've been listening to too many academics again.
    NZ is a farming country. Companies can send their jobs (F & P) and technology offshore but no company can export the climate or the soil to Shanghai.
    I read about the pundits that say we should be a technology based society etc. but I've been hearing that for decades, we're in the wrong business, but soon as they make a dollar NZ's too expensive, so they send it all to Mexico or China.
    F & P are finding out right now that it doesn't always work, and furthermore there's no sympathy.
    A bit like the 'food miles' touted by the europeans to protect their already subsidised agricultural industry.

PS. Weren't you headed for the banking sector in London?
    Last edited by Skol; 23-02-2009 at 06:03 PM.

You've been listening to too many academics again.
    Academics or not, the statistics are out there. Half of NZ's emissions are from biological assets - that is, cows, sheep etc.

NZ is a farming country..
    Farming is the backbone of NZ. I agree. I'm pretty sure I've said this a few times before also.

Companies can send their jobs (F & P) and technology offshore but no company can export the climate or the soil to Shanghai.
    I dont get ya. I get the first bit. As for exporting climate and soil? I believe we indirectly do. Our competitive advantage in farming is our climate and the way we farm through conditioning of soil, farming techniques, among many other things (I'm no farmer, just pointing out the obvious). Eventually our competitive advantage will be narrowed.

I read about the pundits that say we should be a technology based society etc. but I've been hearing that for decades, we're in the wrong business, but soon as they make a dollar NZ's too expensive, so they send it all to Mexico or China.
    F & P are finding out right now that it doesn't always work, and furthermore there's no sympathy..
    Yeah, I've read that too. We're an isolated country, so if we could adapt it would be great as the world is turning 'green.' We're not a manufacturing country, and cant be a manufacturing country in the slightest without protectionism (which is fine by me as the long run benefits should outweigh the short).

Are you saying you have no sympathy for FPA? I do...the sooner the get rid of the rest of the manufacturing jobs the better. Probably not in the short run but thats how the unions get sympathy isnt it.

A bit like the 'food miles' touted by the europeans to protect their already subsidised agricultural industry.
    Yeah, thats what protectionism does. In the short term it will benefit them (understanable in this enviroment), but in the long run it will hurt them. If the british regulators actually understood that NZ dairy products contain less than half the co2 of their own, even considering the long distance travelled, then we would be laughing. The sad thing is, I think they do, but its more of a political thing isnt it.

PS. Weren't you headed for the banking sector in London?
    No, that was never the plan. I said 'in a few years.' The original plan is to do honours in finance (this year) and then spend a few years in an accounting firm to get a solid base (ie CA + couple years) before moving onto more financial market orientated activities.

I'm not sure whether farting is the culprit - I'm no biologist - but I have heard that livestock are a major source of methane emissions.
    hiawatha
    Not a scientist at all, but isnt the bulk of the methane ommitted from the cow's mouth via burping, rather than the other end?
    Disc holding - AZY, ENR, GAL, LEG, PRX, SES

Banned

No, that was never the plan. I said 'in a few years.' The original plan is to do honours in finance (this year) and then spend a few years in an accounting firm to get a solid base (ie CA + couple years) before moving onto more financial market orientated activities.
    You said on the peak oil thread#1233)
    "Dubai is hot, I'll be wanting to hit that place in a few years".

Good luck because it's Dubai that's taking the hit, property prices down up to 75%.
    You can join John Thain, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Madoff and Lehmans and all the other Masters of the Universe now in receivership.

Don't count on the bonuses though

Aviation's doing Ok, it's finance that's crashing and burning. LOL

I told you on the peak oil thread not to listen to professors, most of them can't tie their own shoelaces.
    Last edited by Skol; 23-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not a scientist at all, but isnt the bulk of the methane ommitted from the cow's mouth via burping, rather than the other end?
    I'm no scientist either but I own cows. They burp all the time but I can only recall noticing flatulence in cattle once. Farting cows is a fanciful theory.

slow learner

I'm no scientist either but I own cows. They burp all the time but I can only recall noticing flatulence in cattle once. Farting cows is a fanciful theory.
    That says everything..........you really have no idea Skol?

I thought the methane came from dung after the the cow had pooped. Perhaps if we trained cows to use a toilet, and to flush it afterwards, it would solve the problem.
    hiawatha
    Nope its the microbial action in the gut which breaks down the cellulose that does it. Loads of burps a day is the problem. But lets face it, a “Burp Tax” doesn’t quite grab the publics attention like a “Fart Tax”. So we need to get rid of cows, sheep, goats, rice paddies, swampy wetlands and landfills. They all have critters living there that produce methane.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Nope its the microbial action in the gut which breaks down the cellulose that does it. Loads of burps a day is the problem. But lets face it, a “Burp Tax” doesn’t quite grab the publics attention like a “Fart Tax”. So we need to get rid of cows, sheep, goats, rice paddies, swampy wetlands and landfills. They all have critters living there that produce methane.
    What about people? Didn't you watch the programme on Documentary Channel at 2030hrs last night called 'I Can't Stop Farting'?

Some of these people were so flatulent that their social lives were in ruins and there's actually an internet dating site for those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    Last edited by Skol; 24-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.

What about people? Didn't you watch the programme on Documentary Channel at 2030hrs last night called 'I Can't Stop Farting'?
    I bet they were closet Greenies. They are the type that go round gulping air while exclaiming “the end is nigh”, “what about the grand children”’ “No Nukes”, “Kyoto”. And I guess they’ll be stinky since most Greenies ought to be bean eaters (they will have cut back on eating cows who we know already produce loads of methane) and they’ll have their own wee veggie patch full of cauliflower, corn and cabbage.

You said on the peak oil thread#1233)
    "Dubai is hot, I'll be wanting to hit that place in a few years".

Good luck because it's Dubai that's taking the hit, property prices down up to 75%.
    You can join John Thain, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Madoff and Lehmans and all the other Masters of the Universe now in receivership.

Don't count on the bonuses though

Aviation's doing Ok, it's finance that's crashing and burning. LOL

I told you on the peak oil thread not to listen to professors, most of them can't tie their own shoelaces.
    Its funny how you cant reply to the whole quote...you have no answer to most of it.

Few years - relatively subjective. How many is a few? I think you'll find, I have always wanted to do a bit of accounting first. I will end up in finance eventually...Dubai has obviously changed, but the long term prospects are good.

I've said it before, it was a failure of legislation, not a failure of the banks. Its a competitive industry, and if one bank didnt lend, another would have...

Bonuses? Still a butt load of bonuses going out...the good thing about financiers is that you can make money in any market.

Aviation is rubbish. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it...not a good long term investment. Want me to bring up those graphs again? haha There may be short term blips, but the trend is clear.

Wikipedida - Historically, air travel has survived largely through state support, whether in the form of equity or subsidies. The airline industry as a whole has made a cumulative loss during its 120-year history, once the costs include subsidies for aircraft development and airport construction
    Oh sorry, that quote must be wrong eh? I mean, academics are usually the ones who update wikipedia.

Professors? Grow up...I see a lot of jelousy from you towards academics. You fail to understand what research has brought us...I suppose next you'll be saying you'd rather we were still bartering with sticks and carrots and using salt as our currency.

Back to global warming.

Some of these people were so flatulent that their social lives were in ruins and there's actually an internet dating site for those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    Didnt see it.

So your trying to say, that a human being puts out as much methane as a cow? If you have 6 cows, you can run an average car on it with the amount of methane they produce.

If carbon emissions are serious, and it does contribute to global warming, then it would have to be investigated as they would be a large proportion of the make up. That being said, I wouldnt like the idea that wee NZ take such a stance and no one else does. It would just eat away at our competitiveness.

Banned

Oh sorry, that quote must be wrong eh? I mean, academics are usually the ones who update wikipedia.
    Perhaps you ought to read this then.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10555158