sharetrader
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Company?

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Trackers asked about mid tier copper producers
    Im on the look out for potentually hot tiddlers
    Smalls and Micros

Strat you may want to run your rule over AZS (Aussie tiddler in Mexico) and GSE (micro cap) all the usual risks with junior miners.I hold both so obviuosly somewhat bias but there could be very good future returns there.
    But then again could just be another couple of also rans.

Thanks Shasta, JBMurc will check those out... On first glance GCR looks fantastic...?

There's still decent returns to be made from mid caps. Almost up 100% on YTC already and their rerating could go on (though I'm out of that for now)
    Last edited by trackers; 22-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Strat you may want to run your rule over AZS (Aussie tiddler in Mexico) and GSE (micro cap) all the usual risks with junior miners.I hold both so obviuosly somewhat bias but there could be very good future returns there.
    But then again could just be another couple of also rans.
    Thanks Stevo. Will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by trackers View Post
    Thanks Shasta, JBMurc will check those out... On first glance GCR looks fantastic...?

There's still decent returns to be made from mid caps. Almost up 100% on YTC already and their rerating could go on (though I'm out of that for now)
    Macduffy wont like the fact i was remiss & didnt mention OZL (who have a stake in SFR) as another mid tier Copper play

Veteran novice

Hi shasta.

Yes, I still like and hold OZL although at around $1.75 and with a M/Cap of $5.6b it might be getting a tad expensive, even with copper at record levels.

Another copper stock, although not a producer for some time yet, is Rex Minerals - RXM. Their big asset is the Hillside project on the Yorke Peninsula, SA. The greater area, known geologically as the Gawler Craton, is home to such well known names as Olympic Dam and OZL's Prominent Hill. In fact, it's the proximity to PH which is a big part of the attraction, to me at least, bearing in mind that OZL have all that cash to spend on an acquisition - perhaps.

The Hillside project has an Inferred Mineral Resource of 1.2 mt of copper and 1.1 moz of gold. RXM intend to spend the next 12 months drilling to expand the resource towards its target of between 1.5 mt to 2.8 mt with a scoping study planned in 2011 leading to Feasibility Study in 2012. The company recently raised $85m by issuing 17m shares at $2.50 so has the funds in hand for 2011 work.

The SP has been pretty strong, as to be expected with the PoC doing its thing. Now around $2.85. With only 150m shares on issue and a M/Cap of $434m it would be a nice acquisition for OZL if shareholders could be persuaded to sell. Perhaps a combination OZL shares/cash might be a possibility.

All speculation on my part but I might have to have a small dabble...........

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Hi Hoop. The big questions are how long will it last and who is pushin it up eh?....
    No idea as to how long it will last Strat....or as to who are the players in the skulduggery game.. I need Wikileaks knowledge to know that as I don't trust the media...
    I've invested in the copper game since December 2008..(all being through ASX copper companies. I've been kicked out (using TA) a few times but got back in again.

Worried about bursting bubbles...nah...TA will tell me when the tide will turn on Copper, and it will turn at some point of time as uptrends don't last forever however ...it could last for years or it could end tomorrow....so I will enjoy the ride while I can.

The copper companies I have looked at..bought/sold and have on my watchlist are those mentioned on the ASX copper index
    ABY BHP BOC CDU EQN EXS HGO IRN JML KZL MGO OZL PNA RIO SRL

Also dabbling in and out of small explorers....

My knowledge of copper mining and exploration is not much,,,I let the charts tell the story...
    buying in uptrends seems a good idea...eh Shasta
    Last edited by Hoop; 23-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Guru

Default Great example of false logic.

When time allows it is always a good idea to go back in time to check out how those past articles looking towards the future turn out.

MoneyWeek is a respectable site so when someone writes an article you take notice of it. Unfortunately this is one article that David Stevenson will regret writing about Copper.

David Stevenson's (DS) article looks plausible and you could not argue the methods he used to deduce that the future for Copper is not a rosy one...so...what went wrong???

David Stevenson made a vital error of allowing the past to create a mental bias, he then selectively applying all of those economic/market principles he could find to fit that bias and gave little to no attention to the other economic/market principles that didn't fit his bias...thus he created false logic.

Media is full of false logic...the hot topic atm is the possible demise of the US economy.

Interestingly.... the chart below using simple trend TA saw that DS's base metal article was using false logic
    Interesting,,,huh.

Why the base metal rally won't last

By Associate Editor David Stevenson Apr 03, 2009

Last edited by Hoop; 09-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Veteran novice

Macquarie raises copper price forecast.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225990232531

Veteran novice

OZL quarterly report - Budgetted production exceeded; record gold and copper prices.

http://asx.com.au/asxpdf/20110120/pd...jyyf13650n.pdf